2 cups all-purpose flour

oil or lard, for frying

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

4 tablespoons honey

4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

3 tablespoons hot sauce

4 thinly sliced jalapeños

1/4 cup fresh herb leaves, such as parsley or marjoram

Halve the birds by cutting down one side of the breastbone and through the ribs with a sharp, heavy knife. Repeat on the opposite side, effectively removing the breastbone.

Soak the halves in buttermilk for 4 to 12 hours in the refrigerator. Remove the birds from the buttermilk, season well with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour. Shake off the excess flour and refrigerate them for at least half an hour.

Heat 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a fryer or large pot. Melt the butter, then combine it with the honey, garlic, and hot sauce in a large bowl.

Fry the birds in batches until golden brown and crisp, 3 or 4 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.

Toss the fried birds with the melted-butter mixture, add the jalapeños and herbs, and transfer to a plate. Serve immediately."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/13 9:30 a.m.

Grilled chicken tacos

Marinade chicken breast in juice from two limes, 4 teaspoons of Montreal chicken seasoning and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill, cut up and serve with favorite taco toppings.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/13 9:30 a.m.
beans wrote: My Carne Asada recipie I stole from my old job and tweaked a bit. 3# of Flank or Skirt steak(the thinner the better, MOAR FLAVURZ) 2 cans of chipotle peppers 3 cloves of garlic 1/4 Large white onion handful of Cilantro(no stems) 2 limes Paprika(3 good shakes)- smoked adds a nice touch Chili Powder(Chili 9000 from Penzey's highly recommended, 3-4 good shakes) Salt- 1 tsp 2 Corona's Blend the chili powder, paprika, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, juice of both limes until a little chunky(but not too chunky). Adjust seasoning to taste. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE EMPTY CANS THE CHIPOTLES CAME IN OR THE LIMES AFTER THE JUICE HAS BEEN SQUEEZED OUT!!! Open one Corona, Add a little bit of the corona to the cans, swish it around to get all the remaining goodness out, and dump it into the blended mixture. Pour it over your steak, making sure to distribute evenly below, between, above, and all around the steak. Throw in the limes. Pour the rest of the 1st bottle of corona into the mixture and mush it around with the steak until it's all nice and distributed evenly. Stash in the fridge overnight, and grill it to perfection the next day; you can dump the rest of the mixture over the steak while grilling. Can be eaten with some black beans and rice, or cut it up to use in fajitas, burritos, tacos, nachos, etc. Oh, that second Corona? Go ahead, crack it open and enjoy it. I'll be making this again in a week or two and will post pics. It's especially delicious.

Made this for tacos. It was effing delicious.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/13 2:36 p.m.

Made this last night...simple and delicious!

Beer Pork Chops:

4 pork chops

1 tbs oil

salt and pepper

1 cup beer

1/4 cup Ketchup

3 tbs brown sugar

Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides. Brown both sides in frying pan with oil. Mix beer, ketchup, and brown sugar together and add to pan. Simmer for 15 minutes until sauce thickens.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/18/13 3:16 p.m.

We had this on the Going to the Sun Rally last week, courtesy of the Libby, Montana, Igniters car club, only they made it with chicken. Crazy good, and besides, who doesn't like a recipe that involves pounding a wooden stake into the ground? I'm doing this instead of the nasty (and expensive) fried turkey this Thanksgiving.

Margie

Trash Can Turkey

1 (12-15 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed

aluminum foil

15-inch wooden stake

1 Bundt pan

1 20-pound bag charcoal

new 15 gallon metal garbage can with lid (if galvanized, burn the inside first to get rid of toxins from galvanizing--avoid fumes when doing so)

Lay about 3 long sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil out on the grass to make a square about 3x3 feet. Pound the wooden stake into the ground in the center of the aluminum foil. Drop the Bundt pan over the stake.

Fill the lid of the garbage can with a large pile of charcoal, and light. Place the whole turkey onto the stake, legs down. Turn the garbage can upside down, and place over the turkey. Place piles of lighted coals on the top, and around the sides of the can. Cook for at least 1 1/2 hours, or keep going until coals go out. Do not lift can during cooking.

Brush the charcoal off of the can, and lift off carefully as some heat may rush out when you lift the can. The internal temperature of the turkey should be at least 180 degrees F (83 degrees C) when taken in the thickest part of the thigh.

Tips: You can rub the turkey with a nice spice rub if you wish, though it's not necessary. Also optional is adding 1 can of beer to the Bundt pan.

beans
beans HalfDork
10/16/13 8:53 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: We had this on the Going to the Sun Rally last week, courtesy of the Libby, Montana, Igniters car club, only they made it with chicken. Crazy good, and besides, who doesn't like a recipe that involves pounding a wooden stake into the ground? I'm doing this instead of the nasty (and expensive) fried turkey this Thanksgiving. Margie

You should invest in an electric smoker.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/17/13 6:04 a.m.

Anyone got a good recipe for Brining a Turkey?

Guests (picky eaters) for Thanksgiving.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/17/13 7:39 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Anyone got a good recipe for Brining a Turkey? Guests (picky eaters) for Thanksgiving.

I've never done it, but you can usually trust Alton Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKr1rByVVCI

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/17/13 12:56 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: I've never done it, but you can usually trust Alton Brown

I've used that recipe, and it's pretty good! HERE'S the written version. Check out his other recipes from the "Romancing the Bird" episode of Good Eats, too. The cornbread is amazing.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/30/13 12:21 a.m.

svrex's no-bake pineapple pie

It's kind of a cross between a cheesecake and a custard (plus it's low fat/ sugar free):

8oz fat free sour cream

8 oz fat free cream cheese

Big pack (5 1/2 servings, or something like that) sugar free vanilla pudding

Big can of crushed pineapple

Mix, pour into a pie crust. No bake.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/30/13 7:22 a.m.

just think of all the different varieties of this you could make (I love me some Pineapple) … but wouldn't peach, dried cherries… or not dried) and many other fruits be great … I can see having several in the fridge at one time

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/27/13 1:26 p.m.

Grilled Pineapple and Tangarines

You guys know that I grow pineapples in the back yard. We normally just peel and eat them, but this time we're going to try something different; grilling, based on recipes like this

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Fruit/GrilledPineapple.htm
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/05/grilled-pineapple-2-pts.html

I haven't even tried it yet, but I expect this to be REALLY good. The plan is to brush a citrus/spice sauce onto the pineapple sections and tangerine halves before putting them on the grill. We'll make this sauce using the following:

2-3 Tbsp of orange blossom honey
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp calamondin juice (a small, sour citrus....think of a lime that looks like a mini-tangerine)
1/2-1 tsp pepper

The fun part: the pineapples are from my house, the calamondin and tangarines are from my parents' place, and the honey is local.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/27/13 6:19 p.m.

buzzfeed just listed 17 recipes for dishes from Red Lobster restaurants
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/red-lobster-copycat-recipes

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 5:09 p.m.

Here's a quick and easy hor d'oeuvres I came across on a camping forum.

Flour tortilla smeared with sour cream. I cover a little over half with a thin layer.

Add a layer of smoked salmon, some tomatoes, a few green onions, a dash of salt and pepper. Roll and slice like sushi.

Not bad at all for something easy. I'm going to start experimenting with other fillers. The possibilities should be endless.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/19/15 6:35 p.m.

Now that I have more free time, SWMBO thinks we (I) should go to the gym. We go twice a week and take a TRX class one night a week. It's killer.

After a morning gym visit I'm hungry.

Lightly scramble some eggs, place them in a tortilla shell with cheese, brocolli etc.; fold it in half and put back on the griddle.

Brown the sides, top with Salsa. Serve.

Easy Peasy.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/12/15 4:45 p.m.

Bringing this one back from the dead. I made Kimchi soup for supper tonight. Awesome.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchiguk

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
6/15/15 5:49 p.m.

Chicken Joints >>> Prep Baking pan with oil , use shopping bag to flatten deboned chicken thighs layout on pan . Chic=ken montreal season , cut 5 pieces of salami up distribute evenly . Cheese all thighs Roll UP . Chixn montreal outside > Chixn thighs cook very fast so do not let dry out . Back in 350 oven check in 20 minutes . to gauge cooking time . Little mustard or soi for extra taste.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
6/15/15 5:57 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

For pineapple, core and peel then cut into rings. Dunk the rings into coconut milk (the stuff in a can from the int'l aisle not the watery milk substitute) and then coat in turbanado(sp?) sugar (sugar in the raw). Grill 3-5 per side minutes on a hot grill or until the sugar melts. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream in the center.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
6/15/15 8:34 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/16/15 6:58 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to JoeyM: For pineapple, core and peel then cut into rings. Dunk the rings into coconut milk (the stuff in a can from the int'l aisle not the watery milk substitute) and then coat in turbanado(sp?) sugar (sugar in the raw). Grill 3-5 per side minutes on a hot grill or until the sugar melts. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream in the center.

luckily, I have some pineapple growing in the back yard right now. I may give this a shot when they are ripe.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
6/16/15 12:13 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to JoeyM: For pineapple, core and peel then cut into rings. Dunk the rings into coconut milk (the stuff in a can from the int'l aisle not the watery milk substitute) and then coat in turbanado(sp?) sugar (sugar in the raw). Grill 3-5 per side minutes on a hot grill or until the sugar melts. Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream in the center.
luckily, I have some pineapple growing in the back yard right now. I may give this a shot when they are ripe.

Yeah this sounds delicious.

< regrets decision to leave pineapple plant at my old house.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/16/15 2:44 p.m.

chestertiger
chestertiger New Reader
6/16/15 4:43 p.m.

This is my recipe for Italian Bachelor Soupe. Takes about 10-minutes, costs about $3 if you buy generic brands.

1-can Beefaroni or SpaghettiOs with meatballs. 1-can diced tomatoes. 1-can cannellini or some kind of white beans, drain and rinse. 1-can condensed chicken noodle soup + 1/2 can of water.

Dump it all on a pot and heat it up. I like to add garlic powder, black pepper, and serve with sprinkle cheese on top.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/18/17 8:28 p.m.

Just worked this one out tonight:

Almost Zero-Carb Chicken Nuggets

1 lb. boneless/skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons ranch dressing
5-6 oz. fried pork rinds (hot if you like it)
Optional: onion powder/garlic powder/paprika

Cut the chicken into nuggets, put in a ziploc bag.
Pour ranch over chicken. Shake to coat.
Beat pork rinds into a powder. If you have a food processor, whiz 'em up a few pulses for a finer and more consistent "breading".
Add powdered spices to your liking.

Dump the rinds over the chicken, close the bag, shake to coat.

Bake 12-15 minutes at 375F/190C

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/19/17 8:04 a.m.

You guys have inspired me.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
twSyglOq2lDFejJ7yydRDADm1OYaDyRMjUTb9F8gDIFUe64J3Xi9fLLeBePiZScY