1 ... 6 7 8
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/19/17 10:43 a.m.

Was going to grill, but it looked like it was about to rain. So I tried a bit of cultural appropriation and used the ingredients I was going to grill to copy the pepper stake you get at take out Chinese places. This came out pretty well. Here's the recipe.

• 1 lb sirloin steak
  • 1 onion
  • 2 bell peppers (I used ripe ones instead of the green ones you usually see)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon canned chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ginger paste

Directions:

1. Cut the steak into small pieces, across the grain. Slice peppers and onions into long strips.
  2. Put the oil and garlic in a skillet or wok on medium heat and fry the garlic for a minute.
  3. Add steak and fry until both sides are no longer red.
  4. Add everything else and cook until the onions are translucent.

Works great served over rice.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/21/18 2:58 p.m.

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I have to share a stupid simple recipe that I delicious. My brother-in-law dropped this one on me a few weeks ago and now I'm hooked.

All you need is a non-stick frying pan, grated parmesan cheese, and an egg.

Heat up the frying pan like you are going to fry the egg. Now sprinkle in a layer of parmesan cheese about the diameter of a fried egg. I like grated parmesan cheese, so make a nice little haystack. Let it melt and start to fry a little. Now crack the egg on top of the cheese and let it cook enough to really stick to the cheese. Now you can decide if you want to flip it, or go sunny side up.

That's it. The saltiness of the cheese means you only need a little pepper to taste. The fried cheese gives a little crunch to go with the soft egg. I've already make a fried egg sandwich this way and it was awesome.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/21/18 3:38 p.m.

Speaking of Parmesan:  Roll a pork chop in egg batter then roll in Parmesan.  Broil or bake until  it looks happy.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/21/18 4:35 p.m.

I made this for a soup and chili party last week.  Received 100% favorable reviews and several people asked for the recipe.  Since this thread is on Page 1 again, here you go.

Pretty good gumbo

i deviated from the recipe twice:

1. I cooked the roux for about 45 minutes

2. I did not use file powder.  I was told that the okra would provide sufficient thickening.  IMO it came out dang near perfect without the file powder.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 11:30 a.m.

Not sure if this is the most current recipe thread or not, but my wife just made this from the Salt Fat Acid Heat series - this is the best non-fried chicken I have ever had. We followed the recipe to a T; my friend just made it and did 24 hours as described then added garlic and oregeno for 24 hours to the marinade. He said it didn't even make it to plates; he and his wife just stood at the counter eating it with their bare hands.

Ingredients:

• 3½- to 4-pound (about 1.5 kilograms) chicken

• Salt

• 2 cups (475 ml) buttermilk

The day before you want to cook the chicken, remove the wingtips by cutting through the first wing joint with poultry shears or a sharp knife. Reserve for stock. Season the chicken generously with salt and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Stir 2 tablespoons of kosher salt or 4 teaspoons fine sea salt into the buttermilk to dissolve. Place the chicken in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag and pour in the buttermilk. If the chicken won’t fit in a gallon-size bag, double up two plastic produce bags to prevent leakage and tie the bag with a piece of twine.

Seal it, squish the buttermilk all around the chicken, place on a rimmed plate, and refrigerate. If you’re so inclined, over the next 24 hours you can turn the bag so every part of the chicken gets marinated, but that’s not essential.

Pull the chicken from the fridge an hour before you plan to cook it. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C), with a rack set in the center position.

Remove the chicken from the plastic bag and scrape off as much buttermilk as you can without being obsessive. Tightly tie together the legs of the chicken with a piece of butcher’s twine. Place the chicken in a 10-inch cast iron skillet or shallow roasting pan.

Slide the pan all the way to the back of the oven on the center rack. Rotate the pan so that the legs are pointing toward the rear left corner and the breast is pointing toward the center of the oven (the back corners tend to be the hottest spots in the oven, so this orientation protects the breast from overcooking before the legs are done). Pretty soon you should hear the chicken sizzling.

After about 20 minutes, when the chicken starts to brown, reduce the heat to 400°F and continue roasting for 10 minutes and then move the pan so the legs are facing the back right corner of the oven.

Continue cooking for another 30 minutes or so, until the chicken is brown all over and the juices run clear when you insert a knife down to the bone between the leg and the thigh.

When the chicken’s done, remove it to a platter and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/21/20 7:29 a.m.

Tip:

If your recipe calls for one can (14.5 oz.) of chicken or beef broth  and your store only sells the 28 oz. cardboard boxes; put the leftover 14 oz in an ice cube tray.  If your soup is too thick or your polenta looks like paste, drop in a cube!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/21/20 8:17 a.m.

Taco Soup

1 ¾ lb. Hamburger

1 large onion

1-2 cloves garlic - diced

2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes - undrained

1 can Kidney Beans - drained

1 can Pinto Beans - drained

1 can Black Beans - drained

1 (16 oz) package frozen corn

1 can (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth

1 can (10.75 oz) Cream of Celery Soup

1 package Taco Seasoning mix

½ cup Half & Half

In a large pot, saute’ the onion garlic and beef - drain most of the grease.

Add remaining ingredients.

Cook on reduced heat for 45 minutes.

Serve with Nacho Chips, Avocado and sour cream

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EB5cMlsSuo7wdic4adInvNXLWGA6sgbdFXDo26omQJ7qvIvnl1ulvRHDYR2rcWWe