1 2 3 ... 5
alex
alex SuperDork
1/6/12 7:55 p.m.

Maybe I'm in the dark, but I've never come across any means to cheat an OBD-II emissions test. That seems absurd to me. Between us resourceful tuners and others desperate to pass the test in order to get plates, it seems there should be a thriving black market for either ways to hack your OBD computer or outright replacements that can be concealed and wired into your existing OBD port.

Or, maybe I'm in a weird pocket of the country. Around St. Louis, emissions testing is done via the OBD-II port. And basically, if you're clear of codes, you've passed. If you have a code present or in the memory, you fail and you have to fix it and get tested again to pass. I don't know how emissions tests are conducted throughout the country.

If this is such a clandestine affair that you don't want to post about it here, PM me. I'm genuinely curious. And if this topic is taboo, I won't be offended at all if it gets disappeared.

This just seems like a glaring hole in the market - which may be illegal, but when has that ever stopped enterprising scofflaws?

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
1/6/12 7:57 p.m.

I can think of one surefire way to get around that.

Can't check for codes if there's no computer.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/6/12 8:23 p.m.

There is a readiness monitor. Basically it runs all the tests related to emissions and such and when it finishes them all, it basically gives you a green light. So if you have a known code and clear it, the readiness monitor says not so fast. You fail until the monitor says you can pass go and collect your signature to get your renewal processed.

xd
xd Reader
1/6/12 8:43 p.m.

I Think This is What You Want There is a program for android phones called torque. It connects with a blue tooth ODB adapter that runs about 30 bux. You can clear all the codes out you want with it. It's fun.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/12 8:54 p.m.
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/gatewayvip/v-owner/need-test.htm#exempt Vehicles Exempt from Emissions Testing All vehicles that do not contain on-board diagnostic computer equipment will be exempt from the emissions testing requirements, however a safety inspection will still be required. Safety inspections are required biennially regardless of calendar or model years. Please call 314-416-2115 for any questions not answered here regarding emissions exemptions. Exempted vehicles include 1995 and older gas-powered vehicles; 1996 and older diesel-powered vehicles; New motor vehicles, not previously titled and registered, for the four-year period following their model year of manufacture, with fewer than 40,000 miles at the first required biennial safety inspection; New and unused vehicles, with model years within two years of the calendar year, that have odometer readings of less than 6,000 miles at the time of original sale by the manufacturer or dealer; and Motor vehicles that are driven fewer than 12,000 miles between biennial safety inspection are exempt from the emissions testing requirements until they fall outside the listed criteria. See Waiver Applications and Exemption Requests to apply for mileage-based exemptions. Vehicles purchased new and unused from a dealer in the calendar year preceding the vehicle's model year (eg. a 2007 model year vehicle purchased in 2006), whose license plates come due for renewal in the calendar year that is the same as the model year, are exempt from safety and emission inspection requirements in that calendar year. Please contact the Department of Revenue for verification of this exemption. Other exemptions include Motorcycles and motortricycles; Vehicles powered by fuels other than gasoline, ethanol or diesel; Vehicles that are domiciled and operated exclusively in an area of the state not subject to the emissions inspection requirements; Historic Vehicles registered pursuant to section 301.131 RSMo; School buses; Tactical military vehicles; and Visitor, employee or military personnel vehicles on federal installations provided appointments do not exceed 60 calendar days. Vehicles registered in the emissions testing area, but operated exclusively outside of the area Specially Constructed and Kit Vehicles Does my historic vehicle need an emissions test? No, historic vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. According to state statues, any motor vehicle more than 25 years old that is owned solely as a collector's item and is used or intended to be used for exhibition and educational purposes can be registered as an historic vehicle. When historic plates are initially registered, a vehicle emissions test is not necessary.

So, try to play that in your favor.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/6/12 9:22 p.m.

I may know of someone who may have been able to do this successfully on several vehicles. Methods and success rates depend very much on what code(s) are triggering the test failure. Is there a specific issue that you're trying to band-aid to pass an ODB scan emissions test?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/6/12 9:31 p.m.

Forgive me for asking, but why?

The way you posted your note, you want to intentionally pollute. You really want to modify your car to make more power right? Or do you just want to dump your garbage on your neighbors lawns?

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
1/6/12 9:32 p.m.

I 100% belive that these tests are a complete joke/scam and therefore should be cheated with any and all available means. I have not "cheated" however there where SEVERAL times when I would fail at one location drive directly to the next closest location and pass with flying colors. This was in Ohio and the test was on the rollers not through the obd port.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/12 10:21 p.m.

depends on the test and reason.

i know people have gutted their converters to pass the visual and used spark plug non foulers to get the rear o2 out of the exhaust stream enough to make it think the converter guts are still there.

my problem is my OBD port is dead, so they had to run my blazer on the sniffer because it wouldnt scan. and it failed there so i was screwed. i ran out of ideas because it ran fine so i just registered it as a commercial vehicle over 10,001 GVW and am now exempt from e-check. i will pay about $80 more per year for registration though than if i registered it as a passenger vehicle. i had to do a little creative speaking at the BMV like tell them i removed the rear seats and only intend to use it for business and plan to pull a heavy trailer.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/6/12 10:35 p.m.

I wonder if any of my cars would pass.

I'm guessing only the jeep.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/6/12 11:03 p.m.

For some reason, dead OBD2 port in GM's=blown cigar lighter fuse. BTDT.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/6/12 11:09 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Forgive me for asking, but why? The way you posted your note, you want to intentionally pollute. You really want to modify your car to make more power right? Or do you just want to dump your garbage on your neighbors lawns?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd like to see a comparison between well tuned, enthusiast's vehicle's vs the poor running XXXXXXX down the street.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
1/6/12 11:12 p.m.

Move somewhere that does no testing.

/problemsolved

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 12:10 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: For some reason, dead OBD2 port in GM's=blown cigar lighter fuse. BTDT.

not this one. all fuses good and lighter socket works.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/7/12 2:32 a.m.

What are you thinking this would accomplish? I can see a few instances where it would be useful (deleted egr, ignoring downstream oxygen sensor readings on cars that dont really need them, etc) but in general if you have codes stored you should just fix the problem. Who is going to spend money getting their car to pass with misfire, vacuum leaks, etc, when you could just fix it instead.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/7/12 4:41 a.m.

I just want to remind you guys that GRM dyno and sniffer tested a miata, and found an aftermarket cat that gave more hp that a straight pipe while being nearly as clean as the OEM unit....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/7/12 10:35 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: What are you thinking this would accomplish? I can see a few instances where it would be useful (deleted egr, ignoring downstream oxygen sensor readings on cars that dont really need them, etc) but in general if you have codes stored you should just fix the problem. Who is going to spend money getting their car to pass with misfire, vacuum leaks, etc, when you could just fix it instead.

I think the discussion is codes caused by modifying a car, often making it run BETTER than stock. But throwing codes.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/7/12 10:38 a.m.

^Bingo.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/7/12 10:43 a.m.

A dead ODBII port is pretty hard to work around. What tailpipe test results lead to the failure?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
1/7/12 10:44 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Travis_K wrote: What are you thinking this would accomplish? I can see a few instances where it would be useful (deleted egr, ignoring downstream oxygen sensor readings on cars that dont really need them, etc) but in general if you have codes stored you should just fix the problem. Who is going to spend money getting their car to pass with misfire, vacuum leaks, etc, when you could just fix it instead.
I think the discussion is codes caused by modifying a car, often making it run BETTER than stock. But throwing codes.

Examples?

alex
alex UberDork
1/7/12 10:51 a.m.
nderwater wrote: A dead ODBII port is pretty hard to work around. What tailpipe test results lead to the failure?

No tailpipe test around here any more. All OBD-II. If it's pre-OBD-II it's exempt. If it should have OBD-II and it throws a code or the OBD-II is dead, the car fails until it's fixed.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/7/12 10:53 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Examples?

I briefly owned (long story) an '01 Miata with aftermarket cams that threw an over-advance code. Sold it to a state with no emissions inspections.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/7/12 11:01 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Examples?

Well, my MSM won't throw codes of any kind because the OBDII Port is dead.

But it runs a HELL of a lot better than a stock one does.

I got this car for cheap because it would no longer pass in California.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
1/7/12 11:07 a.m.
alex wrote: I briefly owned (long story) an '01 Miata with aftermarket cams that threw an over-advance code. Sold it to a state with no emissions inspections.

I don't think that meets the definition. Aftermarket cams wont make the car run better than stock, nor will they be cleaner.

92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Well, my MSM won't throw codes of any kind because the OBDII Port is dead. But it runs a HELL of a lot better than a stock one does.

Different scenario. Your car isn't thrown codes... its running off a non-factory ECU.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/7/12 11:10 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
alex wrote: I briefly owned (long story) an '01 Miata with aftermarket cams that threw an over-advance code. Sold it to a state with no emissions inspections.
I don't think that meets the definition. Aftermarket cams wont make the car run better than stock, nor will they be cleaner.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Well, my MSM won't throw codes of any kind because the OBDII Port is dead. But it runs a HELL of a lot better than a stock one does.
Different scenario. Your car isn't thrown codes... its running off a non-factory ECU.

Right... it's a bit different... but still wouldn't pass for the same core reasons.

I don't think there would be a way to "trick" in my case, though, so the discussion probably stops there.

As for what Alex is saying... "run better" means different things to different people.

More power and powerband to me = "run better." I don't care much if it throws codes. And yes, cams don't make a car run cleaner, but they don't necessarily make them run "less clean" either. I'm betting Alex's car failed because of a CEL, not because of sniffer.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gqq2xjXw1YoexdYx8hPw4FIkQXuaG6NM757PhciyIuBhS5aXp8wUtLILycDC3cpB