1 2 3 4 5
foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
2/2/16 5:46 a.m.
mtn wrote: Timely bump for me. We have a vehicle that runs and drives, and will probably be reliable transportation for about another year. It is worth about $900. We can't get it to pass emissions. It isn't worth it to pay the $500 it is going to take to either get it to pass or get the exemption. Pisses me off. Probably going to sell it to Carmax or downstate where they don't test.

What are the flunk but still drive requirements/limits in your area? Here it's every 30 days you come back in for a retest and a $14 bill, you can keep this up for years. Inconvenient, but a whole lot cheaper then spending the big chunk of change for the annual exemption.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/16 5:53 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

What is there to prevent you from plating/renewing it at a non-emissions DMV? Apples/oranges, but I know it's common practice for elderly drivers from the city to head down to the Hoopeston branch to renew their driver's license. Hell, I have an address you could use if it's based on that.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/2/16 6:11 a.m.

My Miata wouldn't pass the OBDII test because I had replaced the battery 7 or 8 months prior and hadn't driven it enough to meet all the criteria. I had to take it to the airport and back to get enough miles on it to pass the stupid test. That made a lot of sense...you know to drive the car 80 extra miles just to pass an emissions test when it seems like it would have been better to let me just drive the 4 miles to/from the testing shop. The test is supposed to make sure the environment stays nice, so why force me to drive extra miles to pass it?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/2/16 6:17 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: I just want to remind you guys that GRM dyno and sniffer tested a miata, and found an aftermarket cat that gave more hp that a straight pipe while being nearly as clean as the OEM unit....

which aftermarket cat ? wonder if it would do for a CRX that's probably due for a new cat anyway ... and hp/torque gain wouldn't PO the owner LOL

""

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/2/16 6:26 a.m.
Hal wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: There is a readiness monitor. Basically it runs all the tests related to emissions and such and when it finishes them all, it basically gives you a green light. So if you have a known code and clear it, the readiness monitor says not so fast. You fail until the monitor says you can pass go and collect your signature to get your renewal processed.
Do all OBD-II cars have this monitor? Reason I ask is that my BIL has a 96 F-150 that throws a code for a "seconday air pump failure". The last 2 times he has had to have it tested he has stopped at my house and I cleared the code with my scanner. The CEL goes out and then he drives the 3 miles to the testing station and it passes. By the time he drives the 10 miles back home the light has come on again. Or is this a case where they don't check the readiness monitor and only look for specfic codes?

to the best of my knowledge ... '96 model yr was a sort of cross over yr ... some vehicles had OBDll and some didn't ... and therefore weren't emissions tested (at least not at the OBDll plug)

I'm sure of this for NC .. don't see how it could be any different with any other state ... if your vehicle doesn't have an OBDll plug, it's sorta hard to check emissions via the OBDll plug LOL

in NC all cars (except if the first 2 yrs old) get plug checked (in certain counties) no roller checks that I've ever heard of

places like the PRC I have zero understanding of LOL

so all that to question why someone with a '96 model yr car would worry about an OPDll plug emissions test

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/2/16 9:24 a.m.

Depending on the year of vehicle and the state, a certain number of readiness monitors can still be "not ready" and have it pass. If you clear codes and drive just enough, but not too much you can sneak some of those things (secondary air inj faults) through.

I am all for clean air, but sometimes it's such a hassle. You realize quickly why turn of the century Audi's are cheap!

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/2/16 10:10 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Depending on the year of vehicle and the state, a certain number of readiness monitors can still be "not ready" and have it pass. If you clear codes and drive just enough, but not too much you can sneak some of those things (secondary air inj faults) through. I am all for clean air, but sometimes it's such a hassle. You realize quickly why turn of the century Audi's are cheap!

This must be true, I have heard all about the readiness tests, but my audi has a CEL (secondary cats IIRC), I pull into the parking lot at the testing place, pull the battery leads for a minute, reconnect and drive thru and pass.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/16 10:25 a.m.

wow zombie thread. i started reading about the blazer i dumped a couple months after this post and had horrible flashbacks. the port was still dead when i got rid of it, so i pulled the SES bulb and traded it in. dealer put it up for $2500 running rough and not having fixed the problems. i saw it on CL a few months later with a "locked up transmission, i got screwed by the dealer!" and almost bought it back to drop in a v8 because the body was so clean. luckily someone grabbed it before i got there, that would have been about the dumbest thing i've ever done. buying an old car back is on my list of things to never do again.

my recent vehicles have been fine. the truck and van are registered commercial for the business so the SES doesn't matter, and the snaab plugged right in and passed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/2/16 12:21 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to mtn: What is there to prevent you from plating/renewing it at a non-emissions DMV? Apples/oranges, but I know it's common practice for elderly drivers from the city to head down to the Hoopeston branch to renew their driver's license. Hell, I have an address you could use if it's based on that.

It is the registration issue. Where is it registered. The DMV doesn't matter; I've been to the Bloomington DMV and not been able to renew registration because it was registered at my dads house in Chicagoland. So it expired before I could get to a testing station, and the state basically forced me to drive my vehicle illegally.

It fails on the evap stage, but 3 monitors still are not reading after driving over 200 miles and trying to drive that sequence that is supposed to reset the monitors. So who knows how much it would actually take to fix it all. It will only pass with 2 not reading, and since it already failed on the evap monitor, that one HAS to pass for it to pass. Not reading won't work.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/2/16 12:39 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The way I see it, emissions testing is Federally mandated in areas that fail to meet clean-air standards. Areas that fail clean-air standards do so because they have a lot of industry and business and people moving around. So having to pass emissions is a side effect of living in an area prosperous enough. Or living in a prosperous area has emissions testing as one of the things that just comes with the territory.

so air pollution is a given side effect of prosperity? Interesting take...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

Well if you end up in a pinch and need a way to register it, you're welcome to "move" and use my address.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/2/16 2:06 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to mtn: Well if you end up in a pinch and need a way to register it, you're welcome to "move" and use my address.

Thanks--I think we're going to register it with my wife's uncle.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/16 2:12 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
Knurled wrote: The way I see it, emissions testing is Federally mandated in areas that fail to meet clean-air standards. Areas that fail clean-air standards do so because they have a lot of industry and business and people moving around. So having to pass emissions is a side effect of living in an area prosperous enough. Or living in a prosperous area has emissions testing as one of the things that just comes with the territory.

Soviet Russia believed this and they were proud of all their pollution-spewing factories.

Counterpoint: New Delhi

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/2/16 2:20 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:

Air pollution is a given side effect of people and industry, and industry is a given side effect of people which will just magnify it.

I'm ok with the laws. I really am; between my wife's family and mine we're looking at 1 car out of 18 that hasn't passed. Not too bad. The air quality in Chicago is pretty great. I'm happy about that.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/2/16 3:26 p.m.

I thought VW had a lock on this technology?

One of the things that keeps me from being interested in such devices is the fact that the penalties are actually quite draconian if you get caught. Even more so if you are involved in selling such a device.

GWBarn
GWBarn New Reader
2/3/16 4:16 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

java230
java230 HalfDork
2/3/16 5:16 p.m.

^^^ Canoe?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 5:26 p.m.

In reply to java230:

Six of canoe, half a dozen of... well, something, but my BS-o-meter is a smoking wreck so I can't say for sure.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 5:53 p.m.
GWBarn wrote: Look up Frequency Hologram. A Quantum Physicist, working in applied science - identified 78 contaminates in gasoline and 84 in diesel. Then he identified the frequency of them and created the opposing frequency to "null them out". If you are familiar with the "Bose-noise canceling head phones" they use the same principle, but for audible sounds only. Now that the contaminates are neutralized you will have a complete burn, eliminating the need for any "CHEATS" to pass your emissions test. With the hologram you will receive cleaner emissions, more horsepower and more miles per gallon - proven. Last weekend I passed a voluntary state emissions test on my 1995 Mitsubishi montero with 266,000+ miles with flying colors, using this technology.

So....antimatter?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/16 5:59 p.m.
GWBarn wrote: Look up Frequency Hologram. A Quantum Physicist, working in applied science - identified 78 contaminates in gasoline and 84 in diesel. Then he identified the frequency of them and created the opposing frequency to "null them out". If you are familiar with the "Bose-noise canceling head phones" they use the same principle, but for audible sounds only. Now that the contaminates are neutralized you will have a complete burn, eliminating the need for any "CHEATS" to pass your emissions test. With the hologram you will receive cleaner emissions, more horsepower and more miles per gallon - proven. Last weekend I passed a voluntary state emissions test on my 1995 Mitsubishi montero with 266,000+ miles with flying colors, using this technology.

I'm actually a quantum physicist working in applied science as well. I am currently working on a revolutionary personal mobility technology that produces zero emissions and is powered soly by earth's most abundant resource.

It's called a berkeleying canoe

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
2/3/16 6:25 p.m.
java230 wrote: ^^^ Canoe?

...Loaded with snake oil.

GWBarn
GWBarn New Reader
2/3/16 6:30 p.m.

you can't judge a book by its cover if you don't even pull it of the shelf.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/16 6:39 p.m.

In reply to GWBarn:

Yup that looks totally legit.

Edit: Complete with mention of chemtrails...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/16 6:54 p.m.

That website is excellent.

I've got a five gas analyzer. Send me a hologram or seal or whatever you call it, I'll test it and report.

GWBarn
GWBarn New Reader
2/3/16 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

From the link that I posted, send me an email from there. Do you have the analyser on hand? We can do it now!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NbHmr9s5ScYPbNaeX4qJEi8yxIvWw37hbtlSHW4NperaQXbgw4m6Qnd5i1SbSY1M