1 2
obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/21 10:06 a.m.

My brother-in-law's truck got hit pretty hard sometime last night while parked on the street.

Police report has been filed, insurance company has been called. The truck looks like it's probably still drivable, but he hasn't tried yet. Luckily he has another car he can drive in the meantime. We're not sure yet whether the truck will be totaled, seems like it could go either way.

We have this shard of fender left behind by the perpetrator's vehicle:

I think it's safe to assume it's the passenger front. Looks like plastic based on the way it tore. That rounded rectangular corner seems pretty distinctive--does anyone recognize it?

I'm not sure that we really have anything to gain from knowing; I guess it's mostly just curiosity since we have this piece of evidence. It would be nice if the shiny happy person who did this could be found, but the insurance company will pay out either way, so I don't think it really makes a difference. I just want to know, y'know? GRM hive mind, go!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/30/21 10:09 a.m.

Are there any markings on the inside at all? Any stampings, date codes, manufacturer's marks?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 10:27 a.m.

Based upon the impact height & damage to the truck I'm guessing it's a decent sized SUV or another pickup. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 10:27 a.m.

That V shape on the left suggests an A pillar/window/door that is lower than the hood like a chevy volt, but it's not a volt.

I ruled out Jetta, Accord, and Golf, but not exhaustively.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 10:31 a.m.
obsolete said:

I'm not sure that we really have anything to gain from knowing; I guess it's mostly just curiosity since we have this piece of evidence. It would be nice if the shiny happy person who did this could be found, but the insurance company will pay out either way, so I don't think it really makes a difference. I just want to know, y'know? GRM hive mind, go!

Sure you do.  Police don't have the resources to really do much, but they might if you help them narrow it down.  They can also issue a database ping on any car like it in the state that showed up at a (legit) body shop.

And YOU'LL know, so if you see an [insert car] driving around missing a chunk of fender you can, umm.... return it to it's rightful owner.... in their ass maybe

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/30/21 10:45 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

That V shape on the left suggests an A pillar/window/door that is lower than the hood like a chevy volt, but it's not a volt.

I ruled out Jetta, Accord, and Golf, but not exhaustively.

You're looking at a bumper cover not a fender.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/30/21 10:52 a.m.

Any of the neighbors have doorbell cams?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/21 10:57 a.m.

Dodge Journey, maybe?  Not sure why, but that sticks in my head.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/30/21 11:01 a.m.

It seems like it would have to be the front passenger fender, I dont' think it could be. Look at the red line. That looks like the trailing edge of a fender flare going into the rocker panel. bumper cover seems most likely. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/30/21 11:02 a.m.

A quick search makes me think Audi based on the fender notch and the way it curls out on the bottom.  This one RS5, but probably an SUV to have the larger flat around the wheel opening. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/30/21 11:02 a.m.

really want to see any and all markings on the inside of the piece. There could be date codes that can REALLY narrow down the search, you could also find the manufacutere's logo.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 11:25 a.m.

The unfortunate thing is, almost everyone's front bumpers are kinda like that now.

Pictures of the INside would be helpful, to see how it attached to the car.  The retainer slots and grooves and tabs.  As cars look more generic on the outside, you have to turn to the inside to get traces of manufacturer identity.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/21 11:53 a.m.

That's gotta be a rear corner, driver side. Not Audi. The small radius is wrong.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/30/21 1:00 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

That's gotta be a rear corner, driver side. Not Audi. The small radius is wrong.

I was thinking that too, but look at the truck. It was hit from behind. The bumper is pushed foreword. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/21 1:19 p.m.

Dodge Caravan. I take back my left rear comment.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner New Reader
7/30/21 1:24 p.m.

Caravan or Town and Country.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/30/21 1:27 p.m.

Our county has a 911 FB page as well as several city pages. Folks are free to post pics or video of incidents like this, gets the word out. BOLO for that damaged vehicle. It has yielded results, people here hate bad guys. Canvas the neighbors for surveillance videos.

Good luck.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/30/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Bravo.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/30/21 2:18 p.m.

Fantastic work! 

Sorry about the accident but I enjoy these type of threads. 

I kept saying to myself that the right angle curve looks familiar, but I couldn't place it. 

Oh, yeah, I have a Mopar van in the driveway!  I knew I knew it from somewhere. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
7/30/21 2:25 p.m.

100%

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/21 2:26 p.m.
iansane said:

Bravo.

+1! Saw it, remembered it, couldn't put it together. Well Done!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 2:58 p.m.

Three hours, thirteen minutes.

berkeley. Yes.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/30/21 3:03 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Fantastic work! 

Sorry about the accident but I enjoy these type of threads. 

I kept saying to myself that the right angle curve looks familiar, but I couldn't place it. 

Oh, yeah, I have a Mopar van in the driveway!  I knew I knew it from somewhere. 

I dont see it. Am I the only one?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

The broken piece is the passenger side but the above picture is the drivers side.  So it's the lower side corner piece of the bumper cover.  The hand is at the point that it would curve to the front.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

This is mirrored (since you're looking at the drivers side of the van in the picture), but I highlighted the matching features after trying to line it up-ish...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OkWO6LT9XBfl6TFr9T9eYZLyYmuTIOZ9stnbNQLIWnCmlWKCT7Hn3YtkgBvfxoGd