confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
8/11/08 10:33 p.m.

I did. Mmmm. Veal.

(Seriously: don't watch it if you have a weak stomach, enjoy meat but are considering vegetarianism - much to your dismay; or are at work. It's not R rated, but it does show some animals being treated pretty badly. It's to make a case for the prevention of animal cruelty. I think that the producers must have just picked the worst of the worst in each case, but hey, it's the media.)

For the record; I eat meat, but I try to avoid meat that I know is produced this way. Free-range chicken is one way. I also know that the cattle produced in my area live in fields and eat grass - they're not confined to factories.

MEGA EDIT: I'm an idiot.

http://www.chooseveg.com/animal-cruelty.asp

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/11/08 10:35 p.m.

Oooh, they're all so deeeeeliciousss!

Also, no link there, bucko.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/12/08 9:21 a.m.

Having caught chickens for a living, I can tell you that those are not "standard practices." Pay goes down if the animals are delivered dead, or with broken legs/wings/etc. Yes, farmers do kill the "bad" birds", though I'm sure they found the worst example of it to show. I'll choose a vegetarian... to eat when I'm lost in the mountains after a plane crash.

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
8/12/08 9:27 a.m.

--- top of the food chain and damn proud of it ---

if you haven't seen the science channel's "how it's made" episode with the dairy cows, watch it. high tech, clean, orderly and easy on the animals - today's dairies are not the scary places that activists want you to believe they are.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/08 9:29 a.m.

I am with Stanford here, I loves me some BBQ Vegetarians, sure they are a little gamey but the hunt is so fulfilling. I really like the nutty overtone.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/12/08 10:41 a.m.

Being a vegetarian, I'm afraid you'll find me rather tough. And well armed.

Didn't veal sales cease after they renamed it "Little Baby Cows"?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/12/08 11:03 a.m.

I grew up on a ranch, the later part of my "teen's" and have work on other farms as well (this was back in Utah) we never treated animals that way. I'm sure that the owner we're not in that video. The meanest thing we did was name the turcky's Thankgiving and Chrismass.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
8/12/08 11:19 a.m.
Volksroddin wrote: I grew up on a ranch, the later part of my "teen's" and have work on other farms as well (this was back in Utah) we never treated animals that way. I'm sure that the owner we're not in that video. The meanest thing we did was name the turcky's Thankgiving and Chrismass.

And then misspelled their names. I be that really got their goats!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/12/08 12:13 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Volksroddin wrote: I grew up on a ranch, the later part of my "teen's" and have work on other farms as well (this was back in Utah) we never treated animals that way. I'm sure that the owner we're not in that video. The meanest thing we did was name the turcky's Thankgiving and Chrismass.
And then misspelled their names. I be that really got their goats!

Yep...but he gives full disclosure in his signature.

I can't watch two minutes of the video 'cause the firewall at work won't let me.

I buy local when possible...and from trusted sources. I think most farmers/ranchers (at least that I know) enjoy working with the animals and treat them with respect. When youv'e got a mega-corporate system though...it's a crapshoot.

Clem

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/12/08 12:47 p.m.

yep we goats to, lot's of them

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/13/08 4:33 p.m.

I honestly think that we should be free to eat meat, but we should be responsible for killing whatever we eat. I think that would be the best of both worlds; a sharp reduction in meat demand, and more humane ways of processing.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/08 5:08 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I honestly think that we should be free to eat meat, but we should be responsible for killing whatever we eat. I think that would be the best of both worlds; a sharp reduction in meat demand, and more humane ways of processing.

Makes sense to me. Most people couldn't kill the cow for a hamburger, let alone process it. The resulting drop in meat demand would create a drop in meat production which would in turn reduce our dependency on oil and create less pollution. I'm not actually kidding here either.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/13/08 8:06 p.m.

Aw heck, lets just deal with the chickens as that's the first few minutes, and that's all you wanted us to watch.

Customers don't want bruised up meat, so if you bash your chickens aroud their market value plumets. Economically, it doesn't work.

When a turkey pulls its neck back and flops around, that's botulism, not starvation.

Fat chickens aren't starved to death.

Meat birds are killed and dressed by 6 weeks usually, well before they grow so large they break their legs. Keeping them until they are massive and damaged increases expense and decreases value. Economically, it makes no sense so farmers don't do it.

Clubbing is a very effective way to kill.

Flapping wings do not equate conscious. Headless chickens do this quite well without any brain at all.

You don't "shock" a chicken into egg laying by withholding feed. In fact they quit laying when they are starved. You can speed up the molt by witholding feed, once molting has started.

Animal Rights fanatics lie, what a surprise.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/13/08 8:17 p.m.

Everyone has an agenda. If they can BS the sheep, err, people, they can get more money from them. Whether it's the poor animals or global warming, same MO.

Hey FT, I was lookin' at my coon skin this evening. I think it turned out pretty nice. I'm not sure what to do with it, so it's sitting on top of my 20 ton press right now. Man, that was a lot of work. Had to cap another one yesterday. I could probably get another tomorrow morning, but I don't feel like messing with it. I found the secret bait: M&M's. Better than Special Kitty. Smear one on the trap trigger and you got 'em.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/14/08 12:50 p.m.

Trapping baits are some of the strangest things. Katsup was one I was told worked wonders on coons. All I caught were cats. Why feral cats were going for katsup I don't know.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
8/14/08 10:08 p.m.

How can a butcher kill an animal without feeling remorse? I imagine it's similar to a surgeon performing a life-or-death operation. When an living thing becomes an object, the day-to-day activities probably become a lot easier.

Also, don't forget that nature can be pretty cruel itself. At least we kill the food before eating it... imagine being slowly eaten alive, foot first!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/15/08 8:21 a.m.

Has eny one kill an animal for food? With the turky's we hung them upside down for about 10 minutes they were just chil'en out upside down. Then we cut there throught. They were completely calm the hole time. We did not feel eny remores. They lived good live for being turky, they also weigh'd in at 30lbs each they were true free range. My Dad stills dose this today for the holidays. BTW he also dose wild life rehab for a living. I have never met eny one will take care animal's(skunks, dear, bobcats, so on so forth) aswell as he will.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/15/08 8:25 a.m.

Mitch, Killing animals is way different than performing surgery. I've done both and I can tell you that.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/15/08 8:39 a.m.

I had to kill two animals yesterday, I put lobsters in the steemer at work. But one thing that gets me is the people that refuse to buy farm raised fish, HAS to be wild caught. If I wanted to lose my job, I would calmly ask them if they would also refuse to eat farm raised meat and only eat hunted animals.

I only watched 3 minets cause it made me hungry

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SNn9d2AoVG31F7JYscr6EAcr1b8NhUX75EBVHzEULYEHajqlUoh3yR1RGvHrkO6z