cwh
cwh Dork
7/25/09 5:25 p.m.

This happened about a mile from my house. Ecchh.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-lightning-strikes-car-b072409,0,5353392.story

TJ
TJ HalfDork
7/25/09 5:30 p.m.

It was a GM car....maybe it's a sign we shouldn't have bought the company against our will.

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/25/09 5:36 p.m.

Back in oh about 2000, I was working at a Dodge dealership, and in on a flatbed comes a shiny new Ram 2500 diesel. Guy was driving south on the way home from Chicago, when a typical summer thunderstorm rolled through the area, and the lightning really liked the $10k worth of ham radio equipment and its associated antennae. The truck had a rather interesting weld spot on the corner of the bed, about the size of a dime, from where the bolt exited to ground. I gave the guy a ride to the nearest car rental place that was open, an hour and a half away in Indy so he could get home that night. I heard back from him a few weeks later. His insurance company had finally decided to total the truck rather than replace the entire electrical system.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/25/09 6:06 p.m.

I replaced the radio in a lightning-struck truck once.. after they'd replaced every wiring harness in the car. It was a brand new-ish Super Duty.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/25/09 6:40 p.m.

How would taking weight out of a car fry the wiring?

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
7/25/09 7:46 p.m.

It's a good thing this didn't happen:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/25/09 8:34 p.m.

Had a lightning struck Buick once, it hit the radio antenna. The radio worked perfect but the antenna cable ran right past the PCM, PCM said bye bye. Helluva tough radio!

Then there was the woman sitting in traffic in her Libery when it got hit by lightning. Now she can't work and anything that goes wrong with the car is due to lightning. Crappy tire wear? Lightning, of course.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
7/25/09 8:44 p.m.

weve seen some truly amazing lighting in the past few days down here, ball lighting, staccato lightening, ect... awesome to watch, not so good to be near an impact point though...

dennisg
dennisg New Reader
7/25/09 8:48 p.m.

As the electricity flows on the outside of a conductor [the car], you are supposed to be safe inside of it. It may fry sensitive electronics that have parts sticking out through the body[ depending on where the wires were run].

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/25/09 11:02 p.m.

We saw a golf cart get hit once, suprisingly the two guys in it were fine once they changed their underwear.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/09 11:11 p.m.
dennisg wrote: As the electricity flows on the outside of a conductor [the car], you are supposed to be safe inside of it. It may fry sensitive electronics that have parts sticking out through the body[ depending on where the wires were run].

it's called a faraday cage. Yes, as long as you are not touching any metal, you are very safe inside the cage. It's all the things that are attached to it that fry.

Friend of my father's back in the early 70s had a dodge van that got hit. Van was constantly in the shop for one thing or another electrically. From what I remember, before it was finally totalled, it had the neat party trick of flooring the throttle from a standstill if you reengaged the cruise control.

andrave
andrave Reader
7/25/09 11:15 p.m.
Wowak wrote: I replaced the radio in a lightning-struck truck once.. after they'd replaced every wiring harness in the car. It was a brand new-ish Super Duty.

Are you sure it wasn't a Lightning?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
7/26/09 3:39 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
dennisg wrote: As the electricity flows on the outside of a conductor [the car], you are supposed to be safe inside of it. It may fry sensitive electronics that have parts sticking out through the body[ depending on where the wires were run].
it's called a faraday cage. Yes, as long as you are not touching any metal, you are very safe inside the cage. It's all the things that are attached to it that fry. Friend of my father's back in the early 70s had a dodge van that got hit. Van was constantly in the shop for one thing or another electrically. From what I remember, before it was finally totalled, it had the neat party trick of flooring the throttle from a standstill if you reengaged the cruise control.

If it had the 360, I'd consider that a "feature", rather than a "problem".

paul
paul New Reader
7/26/09 5:46 a.m.

There a vid clip out there of a guy working on his bike when the bike gets partially hit by a lightning bolt (edit~ found the clip)...

Not safe for work Audio! http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/1170170475/A_Close_Encounter_With_Lightning

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/09 10:24 a.m.

Yet he still works on his bike in the storm???? I'd have been inside, locked in the bathroom, until there wasn't another cloud in the sky! lol

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/26/09 11:34 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: From what I remember, before it was finally totalled, it had the neat party trick of flooring the throttle from a standstill if you reengaged the cruise control.

We've had two dodge vans do the same thing. No lightning required.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/09 1:36 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Yet he still works on his bike in the storm???? I'd have been inside, locked in the bathroom, until there wasn't another cloud in the sky! lol

I've had something similar happen to me working on a car, and yeah that was the answer....when the jelly legs went away, my butt was in the house and as far away from windows as I could get.... remember kids leaky shed working on a car in the rain, no matter how bored you are is a bad IDEA......I'm truly amazed I made it passed age 20, somehow, someway I made it, but wow I was dumb.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/26/09 2:42 p.m.
andrave wrote:
Wowak wrote: I replaced the radio in a lightning-struck truck once.. after they'd replaced every wiring harness in the car. It was a brand new-ish Super Duty.
Are you sure it wasn't a Lightning?

Ay-oh!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/09 5:07 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Yet he still works on his bike in the storm???? I'd have been inside, locked in the bathroom, until there wasn't another cloud in the sky! lol

Friend of my mom's almost died in a bathroom during a Thunderstorm. lightening hit the house he was in and the energy went through the pipes to the ground. When it passed through, it filled the bathroom with ozone.

Thankfully they were able to break the door down to get him to fresh air

porksboy
porksboy Dork
7/26/09 6:10 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Friend of my mom's almost died in a bathroom during a Thunderstorm. lightening hit the house he was in and the energy went through the pipes to the ground. When it passed through, it filled the bathroom with ozone. Thankfully they were able to break the door down to get him to fresh air

They would have had to move me to fresh air from the MONSTER load I would have shat from that.

TJ
TJ HalfDork
7/26/09 6:44 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Friend of my mom's almost died in a bathroom during a Thunderstorm. lightening hit the house he was in and the energy went through the pipes to the ground. When it passed through, it filled the bathroom with ozone. Thankfully they were able to break the door down to get him to fresh air

Who hasn't been in a bathroom with such a bad smell that others had to break the door down and pull you to safety?

cwh
cwh Dork
7/26/09 7:21 p.m.

Update on the story. They were lucky, but the car is toast.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/sfl-lightning-survivor-b072609,0,1890458.story

andrave
andrave Reader
7/28/09 12:00 a.m.
porksboy wrote: They would have had to move me to fresh air from the MONSTER load I would have shat from that.

this made me laugh so hard I'm going to go drop a shat myself.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dOkZaVdtiVqjw3Q2oInhbJZAiumD4SzbpCzRg22RVfAfgslDcG3DhkBMROryO7L0