1 2
rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 4:47 p.m.

I was sitting there last night, Top Gear was over and I was still wanting to watch some car related goodness. So I started to try and think of something to watch, eventually just downloading the latest two episodes of Top Gear and drooling over the GT-R saying to myself that it is a car I will someday own.

Anyway this whole process got me thinking. What I need is a definitive list of car movies and shows. Here is what I have come up with so far in no particular order.

Top Gear Le Mans Grand Prix Initial D series Initial D movie Vanishing point Gumball Rally Cannon Ball Run moveis Smokey and the Bandit movies Driven Days of Thunder The Wraith Ronin The Transporter Mad Max Road Warrior Beyond Thunderdome Death Sport Death Race 2000 Fast and the Furious 2Fast 2Furious Tokyo Drift Bad Boys 1 and 2 (Has some killer cars and scenes) Bullit Gone in 60 Seconds (New) Gone in 60 Seconds trilogy (old) The Italian Job (Old and New) Velocity Ex-Driver Fifth Gear

I'm know this is just the tip of the iceberg lets hear what else you guys have in mind

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/22/08 5:06 p.m.

http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/hdrp_0610_top_car_movies/index.html

beat by hot rod

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 5:40 p.m.
ignorant wrote: http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/hdrp_0610_top_car_movies/index.html beat by hot rod

Ah yes but there are more out there...heck I have some on my list that weren't on theirs, and they only listed stuff you can get on DVD, and they didn't have Grand Prix on the list come on....

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
7/22/08 5:42 p.m.

If you include motorcycle movies, The World's Fastest Indian and Easy Rider should be added to the list.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 5:45 p.m.

yep lets add motorcycle movies also. hmm i can't find my copy of worlds fastest indian...

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/22/08 6:16 p.m.

from dust to glory

[/thread]

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 7:05 p.m.

oh how could I have forgotten "Cars"?

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/22/08 9:31 p.m.

Why rent and watch an otherwise dull movie when you can find the chase scenes on YouTube?

Do a search for "Le Casse" aka "The Burglars". One of the best Remy Julienne chases on film.

You can also just search 'car chase' and find enough stuff to amuse you for days.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/22/08 9:59 p.m.

Never said that I was going to rent them.....

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/22/08 10:54 p.m.

american grafiti, two lane black top

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/22/08 11:45 p.m.
Do a search for "Le Casse" aka "The Burglars". One of the best Remy Julienne chases on film. You can also just search 'car chase' and find enough stuff to amuse you for days.

Yeah, its Charlie Sheen, but its still a good chase. The guy driving the Lincon has some serious skill. No Mans Land of course, The Seven Ups never forgetting Ronin bad Stalone film (like there are good ones) CobraTo Live and Die in LA the list goes on...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
7/23/08 12:54 a.m.
Mental wrote: the list goes on...

Yes I believe that is exactly the point...

And I did mention Ronin in my original post as well as a bad Stallone flick, Driven. Granted it does have that rather interesting scene of driving formula cars down busy city streets at night, while wearing cowboy boots and making womens skirts fly up.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett New Reader
7/23/08 8:31 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: american grafiti, two lane black top

OMG! Two lane Blacktop? With James Taylor and Brian Wilson?

It ended with the film stopping and burning. It should have started that way!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
7/23/08 9:05 a.m.

1950's sports cars abound in the 1954 version of "The Fast and the Furious", available on DVD, $1 at the Dollar Tree! There's some good and some not-so-good road racing footage.

I think there might have been a story and some bad acting, too.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/23/08 9:27 a.m.

I think that there was a thread on the old board about this.

Catch Me if you Can -Matt Lattanzi, Banzai Runner -Dean Stockwell, Red Line -Chad McQueen, La Carrera Pan Americana -Pink Floyd, Hot Rod aka "Rebel of the Road" about a drag racer in a 40's Willy's,Born to Run-Richard Greico,Return to Macon County-Nolte/Johnson,King of the Mountain-Harry Hamlin.

I've got to take another look at my video stash.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/23/08 12:05 p.m.
SoloSonett wrote: OMG! Two lane Blacktop? With James Taylor and Brian Wilson? It ended with the film stopping and burning. It should have started that way!

Two Lane Blacktop is the black hole of plot. It sucked the plot out of three other movies I had shelved next to it.

G

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/23/08 1:29 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: If you include motorcycle movies, The World's Fastest Indian and Easy Rider should be added to the list.

For motorcycle movies add the original (1971) On Any Sunday. The '80's remake blew goats. Also check out a little known flick called Time Rider : The Adventure of Lyle Swann. Aerostich had it for sale at one time.

Freebie and the Bean wasn't a real car flick but it had a really cool chase scene which ended up with a squad car going trough the side of an apartment building about 10 stories up.

Let's not forget The Blues Brothers!

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
7/23/08 3:40 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: 1950's sports cars abound in the 1954 version of "The Fast and the Furious", available on DVD, $1 at the Dollar Tree! There's some good and some not-so-good road racing footage. I think there might have been a story and some bad acting, too.

Hot Curtis Craft from Orig Fast and Furious

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/23/08 3:51 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: If you include motorcycle movies, The World's Fastest Indian and Easy Rider should be added to the list.

On any Sunday. Docu film done by the sames guys that did " The endless Summer"

edit: DOH, Jensenman beat me to it.

yo vanilla
yo vanilla New Reader
7/24/08 8:17 p.m.

Herbie the Love Bug, The Blues Brothers, The Chase, Fireball 500 are a few more. And the original Gone in 60 Seconds had some interesting cars in it. Oh, don't forget Super Troopers. Kind of.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/24/08 9:43 p.m.

Mental said To Live and Die in LA! Awesome, one of the best chase scenes that no one ever mentions. You gotta love those Caprice Classic shift points, eh?

Oh yeah, I didn't see Dirty Larry Crazy Mary.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/25/08 12:22 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Mental said To Live and Die in LA! Awesome, one of the best chase scenes that no one ever mentions. You gotta love those Caprice Classic shift points, eh? Oh yeah, I didn't see Dirty Larry Crazy Mary.

Totally missed Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary. Love that movie "So I got a bad start...do you know what a bad start means to a guy like me? Not a g**dam thing"

While youtubing that car chase, I found this one. The poster claimes best ever, no, but it is sill pretty good.

Lots of bad words, but vintage Dabney Coleman funny, Short Time

mrwillie
mrwillie New Reader
7/25/08 12:08 p.m.

Ooooo I got two. Death Race 2000 and all of the Mad Max movies.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/08 12:45 p.m.

Wangan Midnight...

mrwillie
mrwillie New Reader
7/25/08 12:49 p.m.

Dang. I forgot about the Bourne movies and The Italian Job. Classics.............

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8uG5mA1Qvrc63x6QmQAszVffqZoaPICIxJ1G3fCU9Ubo1r92dO70Hgzn28KcLEoR