1 2 3 4
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/29/10 10:17 a.m.

I guess it's like the Prolixis ad on satellite radio: wimmen likes 'em thicker n' wider.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
6/29/10 10:24 a.m.

I hate to say it, but as a single guy I'm seriously gonna look at the last gen Celicas later this year to boost my desirability. I've seen a couple down near $5k, and I won't pay a car note. It seems to have the right stuff. Sporty, cute (urgh), and avoided by the ricers for the most part. I do like their looks, although as a Nissan guy I'd definitely rather have a Versa hatch. Just gotta avoid the Conquest turbo and 200sx turbo I've got on my radar right now.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/29/10 10:38 a.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: ...I'm seriously gonna look at the last gen Celicas... and avoided by the ricers for the most part.

Really? Around here I think nearly everyone I've ever seen has some sort of retarded looking body kit on it.

GregTivo
GregTivo HalfDork
6/29/10 10:49 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
nutherjrfan wrote: ...I'm seriously gonna look at the last gen Celicas... and avoided by the ricers for the most part.
Really? Around here I think nearly everyone I've ever seen has some sort of retarded looking body kit on it.

Ha, I thought those were stock

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
6/29/10 10:54 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Old guys in British sports cars turn most women off like a light switch. I'd probably have better luck in the Trooper. Oh, wait: not expensive enough.

I beg to differ. Chicks used to wave at me all the time when I was driving my TR3. Of course I was only half as old then as I am now.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
6/29/10 4:14 p.m.

IMO guys (especially car guys) do notice what women drive... but collector/enthusiast cars with manual transmissions bring top points (they indicate she is likely to be compatible with a car centric lifestyle) while an expensive car (say a tiptronic 911) tends to telegraph "high maintenance".

I personally downscore any woman driving an automatic car if (1) they chose it for themselves and (2) a manual version was available. Choosing to drive a manual (even in an economy car) tells me that I'm already dealing with someone I can relate to...

Also, in my experience, women tend to be attracted to men in expensive cars (enthusiast or not) because they see owning a car like as an indicator of a potential luxury lifestyle, not in an end unto itself. A successful MD in a Porsche would be a major score while an average guy in an expensive car is a potential liability who wouldn't have money left for much of a lifestyle for you to enjoy, not an asset...

Overall, women (of all ages) seem to be more attracted/impressed by my classic Mini than any other car I have ever owned... nothing else really even comes close.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/29/10 4:17 p.m.

... so in short it's an indication of a gold digger looking for a meal ticket. No, thank you.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
6/29/10 4:20 p.m.

Edit... on further reflection... maybe 'golddigging' is not the right term. I think in general men see confident, successful women as more "attractive" than those who are not confident and successful... so it's no surprise that women wouldn't do the same... an expensive car is often (but not always) an indicator of those atributes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/29/10 4:24 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1046412_what-women-want---in-a-car
Women like their cars small, inexpensive, foreign and hot. No, not hot in the muscular looks, twin-turbo powerplant, and growling exhaust note sense. Actually hot. They like to crank the heater up. That's the conclusion of a pair of new surveys on women and cars.

Wow. My wife doesn't fit this observation at all. She likes them big, brutishly fast, and price is no object.

Don't know about the heater thing. I do know that she will fiddle with the temperature controls until the knob falls off.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/29/10 5:02 p.m.

I'm always more attracted to women that drive a total crapcan. And I don't mean just a boring car, I mean a beat-to-hell-and-back-twice, mismatched body panel wearing, bondo-showing E36 M3box.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/29/10 6:20 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I'm always *more* attracted to women that drive a total crapcan. And I don't mean just a boring car, I mean a beat-to-hell-and-back-twice, mismatched body panel wearing, bondo-showing E36 M3box.

That's a woman who doesn't obsess about appearances and has the know-how and independence to handle her own problems.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/10 12:19 a.m.

What cars do women like? Whichever car I happen to be driving at the moment

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
6/30/10 1:21 a.m.
Lesley wrote: I had guys follow me around town when I was driving the R8, one even yelled "I wanna have your baby". Do you think that happens in my 323? Not.

When I see a woman in a cool, sporty car, I think "respec." rather than attraction.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
6/30/10 11:02 a.m.

My immacluate Datsun 120y (U.S. B210 2dr) always got the ladies attention, my somewhat more staid looking and immaculate '89 Nissan Sunny 2dr hatch-back never got any attention. Who cares if they are gold-diggers, we are after all only interested in one thing until marriage/relationships arrive to spoil the big picture. Nice car, clean pad in a safe area, you're in like Flynn. Sorry, but I think we're all neatly shaved cavemen at the end of the day.

carzan
carzan Reader
6/30/10 11:21 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Blue Triumph Spitfire. They're attracted to it like flies to a bugzapper.

That's funny! I was just going to say I've never had so many women approach me more than when I was driving, or just sitting in my blue Spitfire. Girls just really wanted to hop in that car for some reason.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
6/30/10 1:42 p.m.

Of all the many cars, both cool and uncool, the one that got the most attention from women was my 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite! Met a long term girlfriend as I came out of a grocery store and 2 beautiful girls were waiting to ask for a ride! She loved to drive it too! I once went to pick up her sister at a club and was 3 blocks away before I realized that the girl who got in the car when I pulled up was not her sister!

Her mom would insist that she picked her up in "Cosmo" if they went to lunch or something. Grandmas and granddaughters, Bank tellers, and all sorts went out of their way to check this car out when either of us drove it. I sold it for a huge profit and have regretted it...but I bought another just last month...new project!

Bruce

motomoron
motomoron Reader
7/1/10 10:23 a.m.

When we got together my wife had a black Corolla GTS FX-16 5 speed with some appropriate late 80s IT racer looking wheels. That's hawt.

And for getting noticed, driving my noisy, speedwell blue, bumperless '62 MK II Sprite on fake Minilites has learned me a little about what it must be like to be a tall, buxom blonde woman. Everyone stares at you, and you are frequently interacted with by strangers.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
7/1/10 10:45 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: I'm always *more* attracted to women that drive a total crapcan. And I don't mean just a boring car, I mean a beat-to-hell-and-back-twice, mismatched body panel wearing, bondo-showing E36 M3box.
That's a woman who doesn't obsess about appearances and has the know-how and independence to handle her own problems.

Not necessarily. It could mean that they have no money, a lousy job (or no job), can't budget for major purchases, and have MAJOR emotional issues. These kinds of cars are often driven by college- and post-college-age women who majored in Art. Some of these women are very good looking. Beware!

Ask me how I know.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
7/1/10 10:51 a.m.

Of all the cars I've ever owned the best babe magnet is my Classic Mini.

"It's so cute"

TJ can relate.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/1/10 11:02 a.m.

Oy vey... I've got a screaming red MX-5 PRHT this week. Stopped at a light downtown... a guy wanders over and motions for me to lower the window. He's looking in, smiling, nodding... I say "so you like it?" Him: "I like you in it" I quickly raised the window and drove away.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/1/10 12:18 p.m.

Oy vey! Something like that happened to my wife's friend in a parking lot, 'cept the guy was slapping his wang on the door sill. Doors were locked, she couldn't get the keys out fast enough.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/1/10 3:59 p.m.

Most attention I've gotten in a car was when I was taking care of my dad's Fiat X-1/9. Had a gal shout me her phone number at a traffic light.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/1/10 4:21 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Are you sure it wasn't King Tut's wang?

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/1/10 6:18 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Most attention I've gotten in a car was when I was taking care of my dad's Fiat X-1/9. Had a gal shout me her phone number at a traffic light.

Reminds of my first trip to the USGP in 1975. I flew from GA to PA, borrowed my Dad's X/19 and drove it to the Glen. The ticket-girls really liked the ride.........

It was a great weekend, too!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/1/10 8:21 p.m.
Lesley wrote: In reply to 914Driver: Are you sure it wasn't King Tut's wang?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCiROduy1TiFZasKbJUzSWtMw2dGf63l6OPYAOezuQDKfbv4Sz9Yp7PHnXF0IeTl