1 2 3 4
Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/13/10 11:25 p.m.

I feel inspired . How's that book coming along, FGC?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/13/10 11:32 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado: Maybe not ALL women on the left coast, but I'd venture most. I'm now on the East Coast and there is a big difference in how women preceive who you are by your car.

The AH Midget. It's odd. Looks AH from the nose, but Midget from the back. And whenever I've seen her I'm in my Protege....I don't want to be seen as some psycho-wack job chasing after her in a sedan. The Triumph, she'd understand. I did get a long honk and a big thumbs up from a woman driving an old, old, mint Saab rally car the other day. Big smile when she saw the Triumph. A 4-lane road prohibited turning around... Summer's not over yet, and neither am I.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/13/10 11:48 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: The AH Midget. It's odd. Looks AH from the nose, but Midget from the back. And whenever I've seen her I'm in my Protege....I don't want to be seen as some psycho-wack job chasing after her in a sedan. Summer's not over yet, and neither am I.

It's not uncommon for Spridget owners to put a bug-eye bonnet on later models. The only real differences between Midgets and Sprites were the rear wheel arches and Midgets had more chrome and ornamentation.

Oh, summer has just begun so you really need to get out there with the Spit - you're less likely to profiled as a stalker when driving.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/14/10 12:04 a.m.
triumph5 wrote: In reply to friedgreencorrado: Maybe not ALL women on the left coast, but I'd venture most. I'm now on the East Coast and there is a big difference in how women preceive who you are by your car.

Hey, maybe they all think they're gonna be movie stars. I'll bet half of them aren't even Cali natives, but a bunch of Midwestern & Southern rural "princesses" that won the local "Bean Harvest Queen" title, and think that is a quick path to fame & fortune. LOL.

triumph5 wrote: The AH Midget. It's odd. Looks AH from the nose, but Midget from the back.

That sounds just like what people did to them back when I was a young man (early 1980s). They were then what the Miata is now. Mass produced, great parts interchangablility, and dozens of them sitting around that could be picked up for a fraction of their original "sticker price". There's a reason us old guys call them "Spridgets"...after AH stopped using the "bugeye" front clip, they're the same berkeleying car.

triumph5 wrote: And whenever I've seen her I'm in my Protege....I don't want to be seen as some psycho-wack job chasing after her in a sedan. The Triumph, she'd understand.

Dude, I don't want to even begin to pretend that I know your neighborhood better than my own..but when you say that, it sounds like you need to take the Triumph keys off the pegboard a lil' more often.

triumph5 wrote: I did get a long honk and a big thumbs up from a woman driving an old, old, mint Saab rally car the other day. Big smile when she saw the Triumph. A 4-lane road prohibited turning around...

Y'know, I hear stuff like that a lot from my buddies (the ones my own age) that were smart enough to keep some of their older iron around (instead of letting them go, like my dumb ass did). I do recall that before imported cars became common in the US, all of us driving the things would wave at each other, regardless of marque.

triumph5 wrote: Summer's not over yet, and neither am I.

Now that's the right attitude! And don't let it end with the summer.

Here's my old Triumph, and my old friend. We kept going into the Fall (circa 1985).

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/14/10 12:16 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado: I'm a bit older than you think, as that looks an awful lot like my second Triumph, a 1970 GT6+ that I towed home from behind a gas station and rebuilt. That was after my first car, a 67 Spitfire Mk 3; The 79 1500 I have now will get out more when I replace the current engine--rod knock. Not too bad that I don't drive it, but enough to prevent using it more than I would. I'm chasing down a block in PA to pickup and fill with all the goodies. Cam, 10:1 comp, dual SUs,,,etc... When I flash the headlights at another Triumph or older car, if not driven by someone "our age" I get the finger.... Regardless, I still have fun, and it's still summer. BTW, the top NEVER goes up on the Spitfire. Open Air Motoring.!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/14/10 12:17 a.m.
Luke wrote: I feel inspired . How's that book coming along, FGC?

ROFL! Pretty slow, actuallly. The beginning of it is on a bunch of 3 1/2in. floppies, and modern computers don't even wanna hear that E36 M3. I need to get one of those external drives for the things that plug into the USB port.

And even after that, I'm sure it'll be an eternity converting all that text from Word 95 to Word 2010. Eh, it just gives me an excuse to procrastinate a lil more.

But shove that nonsense..are you gonna try to find the girl in the X19? If not, my mission has failed.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
7/18/13 4:06 p.m.

Just thought I'd share.

Stopped for gas today and a 20 something guy pulled up to the next pump in an original Mini. Four different young women approached him while I was standng there.

As a side note a 1998 F150, with farm plates, being driven by a 45yo appears to be invisible.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/18/13 6:21 p.m.

I've had all manner of women repellents and magnets. When I was in college in the mid '80's, I had a Triumph TR-4A. Girls would randomly ask for rides, and even run me down and ask if that was my car. It turned into plenty of dates and numbers.

Before the TR-4 was a mint round arch Midget, and it for some reason didn't hold a candle to the 4, nor did the '70 Boss 302 that came in between. The Mustang was definitely on the repellant side.

After I graduated I bought a new at the time Alfa Spider. Girls would randomly ask if it was a Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, you name it. Even if you told them, they still had no idea what it was. All they knew was that it looked expensive and that was good enough. I even had a woman in a business suit hand me a card one day and just walk off smiling. Of course my girl friend at the time tore it up.

But none of them hold a candle to the Fiat 600. I don't know that I ever drove it without a woman approaching and starting a conversation.

My current Cooper S still gets quite a few comments, the Mustang GT might as well be invisible.

And Leslie, if any of the guys on here saw you in the 323, they'd just think you're building a challenge car and think you were hotter than in the R8!

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
7/18/13 6:54 p.m.

The most looks I got was when I drove my 2500 Ram. Might be a reason all of my vehicles are trucks, round here that's what seems to get the womenfolk tingly.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8F1uMaYw7OmAOrotZme1y273chEEnJSV1Cx6EUwaRCbFgJs5L3RUrN0DrC176rod