ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/9/08 10:09 a.m.

Alright,

once again proving that GRM is a community to get answers for just about ANYTHING.

Here's the deal. I see all these people that get cats, at different times, and the two (or more) actually tolerate each other or even get along well.

I've had more than one cat for a long time (4 different cats...but only 2 at a time) but NEVER have any two of them actually approved of the other's presence. All females. Is there a good way to force these cats into a relationship that doesn't solely consist of hissing at each other on the way in or out the door? Should I put them in a cage together and let them work it out over the course of a day or two? (toungue in cheek comment there.)

Anybody have experience with this? I ask because there's an inbound cat...so it would be a good time to try it out.

Thanks, Clem

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
6/9/08 10:32 a.m.

Something that I know of doing is to take some perfume and dowse both cats with it. They smell alike and all of a sudden BAM! Bonded felines.

Never done it, but supposed to work.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/08 10:35 a.m.

Put the new cat in a good-sized cage where the other cats can see it up close. They will probably try to fight through the cage. 2 days of this should be enough. Then, if the new cat is big enough to survive an attack from one or more of the others, let it loose. They will almost certainly fight at first, you'll just have to let them fight it out. The fighting will stop after a week or so.

I checked the manual BTW, nothing on it :(

http://www.andreas.com/catman.html

But you WILL have network conflicts, make no mistake.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/08 10:38 a.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Add one roll of duct tape two switchblades and a pair of handcuffs...BAM! Bonded felines.

corrected for dramatic flair.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/9/08 10:42 a.m.

Clearly the best way to make sure they get along is getting brothers and sisters, not an option in your case.

Similar to what was said above, putting one cat in a room with a door that they can smell under (and maybe reach under) is a good way to introduce them. It lets them smell each other without being able to fight. It of course will also make a big difference if either cat is normally used to having other cats around, in some cases the best you can do is get them to tolerate each other.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
6/9/08 10:45 a.m.

Made me think of this.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/9/08 3:03 p.m.

Get a boy and girl cat. Make sure both are fixed. Shouldn't have any problems.

Shelter cats seem to do better for some reason. We love our two cats!

Hal
Hal HalfDork
6/9/08 3:15 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Is there a good way to force these cats into a relationship that doesn't solely consist of hissing at each other on the way in or out the door?

Probably not. We currently have 3 cats, two about 12 years old and one 8 year old. We got one of the 12yo's and the 8 yo as kittens. They occasionally will play with each other but generally tend to ignore the existance of each other.

We inherited the second 12 year old when my M-I-L died two years ago. It took a years for us to get the two 12 year olds to even tolerate the presence of each other. Had to keep them in different parts of the house seperated by a screen door for six months. But still their only interaction consists of hissing as they pass by each other.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/9/08 3:34 p.m.

We're currently rocking 2 boys and 2 girls. None are related, and they range in age: 17-8-6-6. Boy-girl-boy-girl, with the two 6-year-olds almost identical in age. All are fixed.

Although the youngest (and largest, by far) is a male and like to tease/chase his adopted sisters, there is very little actual fighting. None of them have ever hurt each other. The old male rules the roost with an iron fist, even though he's deaf (and always was stupid) and getting weaker every year. The other 3 all just automatically submit to him.

We never really did anything to acclimate them to each other. The 8-year-old female hisses and runs when the young male is chasing her, but it's mostly for show (unless he catches her). But as I said, no one has ever drawn blood.

They all share the same food/water station and box. Differing combinations of them will even sleep together and bathe each other (all except the young male/older femal combination).

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/9/08 3:50 p.m.
Thinkkker wrote: Made me think of this.

This made me laugh until I had tears in my eyes. Thank you!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/9/08 4:16 p.m.

we have 4 cats right now, only 2 related. 3 get along and the other one is still in process.

it takes time for them to get along and starting young is a definate plus.

males and females tend to be less of a problem.

we had an ex=barn cat that was just over a year old and got 2 new kittens, we basically had to ease them in with supervised visits (starting with holding both cats) and let them have time to get used to each other. they get along very well, sleeping in a cat pile at times.

right now we are working on getting those 3 (which are over 10 years old now) along with a 4th, which was my grandfathers cat that we inherited. they live in seperate houses, but we come to visit. this cat is also about 10 and female.

the male and this female get along on a reasonable basis, will lay on the same bed without hissing and growling.

the females still arent getting along. we are just taking it slow and easing them into contact. the 3 are seperated into the basement living area for bedtime and only allowed up in the afternoon/evening when i am home from classes.

its a harder process with the older cats taking much more time and effort.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
6/9/08 4:31 p.m.

OH, one more story then I will leave you up to the other people.

I have a large kitty. She was living outside of a friends house when they were moving. She had been fed by them and was declawed and fixed by some unknown prior owner. I got her since they were concerned as to her fate if left there.

Well fast forward to many months later and a move and she is queen of the house. Another friend comes out to visit for a few days and brings in her new baby a very curious cat. Well I look for Carney my cat and do not see her. Knowing her I say she is behind the blinds and I'm not worried. My friend asks if she can let her cat down. My response is simply to watch where he goes and to make sure he does not startle Carney.

Wait 30 seconds and he goes to introduce himself. As my friend says, "He's a friendly cat, he was just sniffing her butt to say hello." Apparently, my cat has the same outlook as most any other female I have ever met, and does not like to have her butt sniffed as a hello greeting.

All hell broke loose. The young boy took off to no avail, and this rather large twice his size woman chasing him. Winston friends cat loops around the chair I sit in and hits the deck. Carney in hot pursuit lands on top of him and repeated slaps and bites at him. I get my hand on her long enough for him to jet off and her to slip outta my grasp. I had to get up and go to the kitchen to grab her and get her off. She was still so enraged she bit me twice to the bone before she knew who had her and stopped.

Why did I say all of this? If you have a older cat, one that is slightly antisocial, and has the ability to leave bruises from a curled up fist and swatting yes I have had a bruise from holding her and she hitting at a dog do not let them just "meet". I would almost garuantee a bad ending.

As the courts say, you have to have supervised visits by a court appointed person to prove yourself prior to being released on your own.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FOCkV9yBeu7mKAbmB4l5gdMheAlLYCIzAz5cLIuOCkmD0EDx607MV9qnduxszsPh