Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 6:03 a.m.

My father's oncologist suggested that he might benefit from CBD oil. She couldn't give me a clearly defined path since it's still just outside of mainstream medicine.

He has bladder cancer. He's uncomfortable 100% of the time and has no appetite. He is weak, probably due to a lack of nutritional intake.

I know nothing about this stuff, but it is legal to buy here.

Enlighten me.

TJL
TJL Reader
5/25/19 6:12 a.m.

Considering the cancer,  constant discomfort and lack of appetite, id say skip the cbd and go for the whole plant. If nothing else it will help the pain and give him some appetite.. It couldnt hurt at this point, other than legally, depending on where he resides

Also there was a decent “learn me” thread on CBD not long ago. I’ll link it in a minute. 

Edit: linky to other cbd thread. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-cbd-oil/153852/page1/

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/25/19 6:14 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-cbd-oil/153852/page1/

Recent thread

Edit; sniped because my phone is being slow this morning.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 6:20 a.m.
TJL said:

Considering the cancer,  constant discomfort and lack of appetite, id say skip the cbd and go for the whole plant. If nothing else it will help the pain and give him some appetite.. It couldnt hurt at this point, other than legally, depending on where he resides

Also there was a decent “learn me” thread on CBD not long ago. I’ll link it in a minute. 

Edit: linky to other cbd thread. 

Whole plant is not an option for him. He won’t do it. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/19 6:31 a.m.

Woody, I'll be thinking of you and your dad. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I have a friend who’s had bladder cancer for a few years. I’m pretty sure he’s never gone any significant length of time without smoking pot, so I can’t give you any advice there. However, his common treatment has been for them to pump his bladder full of a tuberculosis-laced fluid, which he has to hold in for a period of time. 

I’m curious, has your father had those treatments?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/19 10:45 a.m.

The anti-inflammatory and anti-convulsant properties have been helping cancer patients be able to eat for decades.

That's why California passed it for medical use back in 1996. Because it helps.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/6/19 8:28 a.m.

CBD oil is not really psychoactive at all, and shouldn't be feared.  Lots of worry out there that is unjustified.

Results-wise, it seems variable from person to person.  I've tried both tincture and lotion to help with back arthritis, and it didn't help me with that much.

My 89 y/o grandmother has used a high-cbd strain of cannabis for maybe 10-15 years, and it helps her a great deal with arthritic pain and being able to sleep.  This one is about 15% CBD and about 7% THC, so it actually will get you high.  But not nearly like what "the kids" are using now.

She also rubbed some of my lotion on her hands and got some immediate pain relief.  So it can be a great help.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/19 10:40 a.m.
Woody said:

Whole plant is not an option for him. He won’t do it. 

Even an editable?  Gummy bears etc.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
6/6/19 12:34 p.m.

Has there been a discussion here on what the difference (legal or otherwise) is between the various forms.  I hear radio ads for a local "cannabis dispensary" and they talk about CBD oils and I believe edible products.  I'm not sure what versions are legal in my state (WV), but I'm positive recreational is not legal here.  I believe everything but smokeable is legal here for medical use.  But why smokeable is excluded, I couldn't guess.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I've never used it in any form and don't plan to, but I'd love to have some seeds to observe how it grows (went to a party college - studied agriculture and veterinary science - never saw the stuff in class or otherwise).  I am particularly interested in the flower it makes and how bees react to it and what kind of honey it makes. I assume that buying seeds for that purpose would be considered recreational?  As is an edible?  Or is an edible both medical and recreational.  And some States you can buy seeds or whatever you want, like a bottle of beer, through a local store or mail order?  I considered attempting mail order of seeds, but figured it would lead to trouble.  I've seen some Cheech and Chong movies. 

Furthermore, legitimate doctors actually prescribe inhalation of smoke to their patients?  Is the CBD administered topically or orally?  How could it help Woody's Dad?  The whole industry seems a bit wild west with the various products, legalities, effectiveness, and the money handling.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Woody, but I'm also clueless. 

Though I'd like seeds now for academic reasons, my Dad is in his 70s and getting rickety.  Soon I'll be where Woody is now and I'm sure Dad will have the same response as Woody's.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/19 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Seeds are by state, but available through mail order as "souvenirs". Still technically illegal though.

Cbd is available in many forms, liquids, gummies, I've seen cigarettes, vape solutions, salves, oral tincture. Even bud form in states that allow smokable medicine. There are a wide array of strains, growing every month it seems, bred specifically for high CBD and low THC content, as well as industrial hemp which is where the majority of retail comes from. 

To be legal for sale, the CBD products need less than 0.03% THC. 

It's a very interesting plant to grow, to watch reactions to stimuli. I never saw any bees around our plants when I was growing in California. Bud worms, ants, spider mites, aphids are all rather happy to devour the damn plants though, in turn ladybugs and praying mantis certainly love eating the bugs that attack cannabis plants. It's quite fascinating to see how different strains respond in their own ways even in shared conditions.

What I saw that really truly worked for people who medical doctors had given up on was a whole plant extract. The particular one came in a big syringe, and Aaron took a gram a day orally from it. The particular strain was Charlotte's Web, a strain bred specifically to help with a child's diseases in Colorado that has been making is its way around the country. Aaron had an inoperable tumor in his leg, as well as several others through his body. After 4 months taking the extract, the tumor in his leg was actually shrinking. Anecdotal evidence sure, but it made a hell of a difference for him just eating the extract every morning. He always complained it didn't get him high though.

Finding the signal through the noise is berkeleying difficult, but there is a lot of good information out there these days.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/6/19 1:00 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

Finding the signal through the noise is berkeleying difficult, but there is a lot of good information out there these days.

This is the truth of it right here. There is very little good data available. A lot of good information, but real data (studies) are few and far between. And we don't know the long term harm being caused. Certainly though, it has proved to be a boon for certain ailments. I am happy it is legal, I just wish I had more information to make a truly informed decision.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/7/19 10:22 a.m.

My worry about the CBD fad is finding stuff that actually has CBD in it at the concentrations that actually do something. 

How do you guarantee that? I know buying from a dispensary helps, but even then, how do you know you're getting ripped off?

Cannabeme
Cannabeme New Spammer
1/27/20 9:31 p.m.

[i have been spamming]

SteveSmith
SteveSmith New Spammer
2/29/20 2:46 a.m.

This is the truth of it right here. There is very little good data available [about the benefits of canoeing].. A lot of good information, but real data (studies) are few and far between. And we don't know the long term harm being caused. Certainly though, it has proved to be a boon for certain ailments. I am happy it is legal, I just wish I had more information to make a truly informed decision... [should I go open decked, or closed?]

maxweber
maxweber Spammer
3/5/20 10:16 a.m.

Do your research and make sure that any [canoes] that you are buying have third party [berkley] results and complete traceability from [e36 m3] to nutz.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/5/20 1:00 p.m.

Apparently CBD is great for oiling canoes.  We may need to lock this one.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/5/20 1:12 p.m.

A bunch of crap this is.  We were wearing flannel shirts, boots, drinking Yukon Jack, and jamming CDB 40 years ago.

jaminson
jaminson New Spammer
3/11/20 1:08 p.m.

For some years ago, my brother has problems with the knee. He is a professional tennis player and he got a serious injury on it. To cut it short, he had to take [off on a canoeing trip] and there appear a lot of problems and misunderstandings with our parents [about E36 M3ing in the woods]. Therefore, he found a solution to avoid aggravating the situation. He orders some chew and he convinces us that it is safe for health, because he found the information about this [Canoeing] on a medical forum.  Finally, all his arguments and evidence calm mum the berkeley down.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/25/20 10:56 a.m.

I've had mixed results with high quality CBD ointment. I have tendonosis and a rotator cuff that has been torn for a few years. I have the wife apply it and maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The discomfort is a bit much to handle. On the other hand, I've applied the same oil to a broken toe and pain went away within 15 minutes. I was simply using as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. Not exactly the same as what your looking for, but an example of how it did and did not work great for me. I continue to put it on the shoulder because it may be making a difference and the free massage feels great.

Find a quality source (no online bullE36 M3 unless a doctor has suggested it) and experiment with different ways to administer.

Good luck.

(This is where mine comes from. It's a few miles down the highway from me: https://missourihempco.com/)

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
4/17/20 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Is it a residual disdain from the "Reefer madness" generation? Or just a hatred of drugs in general? I can respect the latter however he is seriously doing his health a disservice by not at least trying it. Reduces pain, nausea, increases appetite immensely, improves mood, all pluses and no minuses.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
4/17/20 12:28 p.m.
N Sperlo said:

I've had mixed results with high quality CBD ointment. I have tendonosis and a rotator cuff that has been torn for a few years. I have the wife apply it and maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. The discomfort is a bit much to handle. On the other hand, I've applied the same oil to a broken toe and pain went away within 15 minutes. I was simply using as an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. Not exactly the same as what your looking for, but an example of how it did and did not work great for me. I continue to put it on the shoulder because it may be making a difference and the free massage feels great.

Find a quality source (no online bullE36 M3 unless a doctor has suggested it) and experiment with different ways to administer.

Good luck.

(This is where mine comes from. It's a few miles down the highway from me: https://missourihempco.com/)

Frankly for joint health you can't touch a (high quality) fish oil. 2-3 grams of epa/dha a day not the total weight of the oil itself. I use Controlled Labs Oximega

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
fSuboGwch0OvgIdNMrmd7NRTEnUgeDbFnsFD5HE2bBVUul5LfrADdM3MH9pJ0aLS