stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/9/08 10:02 a.m.

Hi everyone,

I would like to get a cheap CAD/CAM software package for home use that I can do some 3D modeling with. I need to be able to assemble components after I make them so I can design my own locost. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced program? My experience is all with Pro-E (which is not what I would consider reasonbly priced) so something with similar interaction would be nice. I know Kimini recommends Alibre. Any other reccomendations?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/9/08 10:36 a.m.

www.mininova.org Its all cheap.. It's almost free..

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/9/08 10:39 a.m.

I've heard good stuff about Alibre - http://www.alibre.com/, but I've never used it myself.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
7/9/08 11:56 a.m.

~POWERSTATION~

Decent. I've been using it for years.

PeteWW
PeteWW New Reader
7/9/08 3:06 p.m.

Student version of Pro/E for $100; includes Mechanica and other modules. http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=86274903

The upside is that you won't have to learn a new cad package. The downside is that you can't share files between the student version and a full licensed version.

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
7/9/08 3:14 p.m.

TurboCad

This is the cheaper 2d version for $40. I have used it for years and it is vastly easier to use than say AutoCad. They have more expensive versions. It reads autocad files and writes in a variety of formats. Use is more intuitive like a drawing program rather than the command line method of Autocad.

edit: Ahh, I re-read your initial post. 3-D is $100. A limited version of Alibre is free. For 30 days it is their deluxe version.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
7/12/08 9:02 p.m.

Get the student version of Pro-E. It's cheap and you know it already. I'm going to pick up a copy for my laptop when school starts. I've been using the commercial version of NX 5.0 all summer, and I must say, it is an extremely impressive package. There's all sorts of really nice features that I'm not sure Pro-E does (or if it does, I never knew they were there), such as the ability to move the WCS.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/13/08 8:26 p.m.

I'd forgotten about the student version of Pro-E. My wife's a student. I'll order with her proof. I just hope they didn't change Wildfire as much as I heard they did. My working days stopped with v20.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
7/14/08 4:08 a.m.

Depends on how serious of a CAD pacage you need, Try google sketchup it might not be a professional level CAD program but it may do what you need it to do and you cant beat the price since it is FREE. Furthermore for a small fee I think you can get the pro version wich will yet you output it in formats that a Real CAD program can read.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
7/14/08 7:40 a.m.

Sketchup and TurboCAD are fine....and cheap / free.

Actually, there's plenty of free / cheap CAD software

But I thought the original question also involved CAM?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
7/14/08 8:26 a.m.

I don't have any CAM software, but I'm still using my free copy of IntelliCAD. Same command sets as AutoCAD and uses .dwg files.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t669OSLoUzarlGLFhukPxHeYvRbqUKhO5tkmgRFmb5zq5kbyxuZHSFor9Ypi1uyU