1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

No GM vehicles are eligible for the federal credit anymore. It's not based on model production but on manufacturer. 

The Bolt got a bunch of upgrades just about the time the recall happened, but I don't think GM told anyone. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/2/22 8:09 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
NickD said:

Oh, that's nothing to do with warranty, that's because of the dealerships opting out of EVs. Pretty much every dealer locally has opted out other than us. The problem is that there's such a massive outlay for training, special tools, additional chargers, and all sorts of other infrastructure, that most dealers can't or don't want to fork out the cash and opt out of the EV program, so then they can't service or sell them. Hell, we had a Bolt towed in from 2.5 hours away by GM Roadside because we were the nearest EV-compliant dealer.

That seems exceptionally short-sighted. EVs are coming whether they like it or not. I get that the capital investment to handle them is significant, but the alternative might be going out of business in 10-15 years.

I don't disagree, but I can also understand the skepticism. A lot of times in the automotive industry, things are "just around the corner" and then it's decades before they happen, if at all. For years, 42 volt electrical systems have been "coming soon" but we're still using 12 volt systems. We were forced to buy a 1234-yf AC machine in 2010, and it sat gathering dust until 2017 before 1234-yf became common enough that we used it for the first time.

My boss and I were talking about all the investments we were making for EVs and it was into the millions (not insignificant for a dealership with 13 techs and 3 service writers) and his statement was "I get that we want to be ahead of the curve, but what if something comes along and completely changes the trajectory?"

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
6/2/22 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Low center of gravity, 200hp, 266 lb-ft, 6.5 second 0-60 (on eco tires), one pedal driving; if you aren't opposed to FWD hatches there are things to like.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sdqWcUnDjHG40aMCKL9ZJncNWnPaUvE9BKEtURU8g7T4DhWVglXZubwHVBVewPJq