1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/4/09 12:01 p.m.

Your 8-year-old is not an accessory. Thanks.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/4/09 12:02 p.m.

u lie.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/09 12:04 p.m.

R2

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
2/4/09 1:50 p.m.

Funny this comes up. My ex recently let our 6 year old dye his hair red (its pretty long). His 11yo brother has 2 earrings and dies his black. They both are nationally ranked BMX racers, former students of the month, all around good kids. We split custody (ex lives right down the road). To be honest I could care less if they want mohawks. Let them get it out of their system now not when they're 18. I grew up strict Irish Catholic and boy did I rebel when I got out of the house. Bigger fish to fry than haircuts IMO.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/09 3:41 p.m.

I'm with ManofFewWords on this one. Let the kid express him/herself. What's the harm?

I'd wear a mohawk now but it would look silly with my button'ed shirt and blackberry.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/4/09 3:44 p.m.

my 10 year old nephue(sp?) has a mohawk during foot ball season. He is also about 5' 2" and over 150#

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
2/4/09 5:06 p.m.

If they can pull it off, eh...what the hell.....my 5 year old son can't, therefore he will be the new milleniums version of Wally Cleaver....for the duration.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
2/4/09 5:11 p.m.

yeah I bet he's talking about the kids who can't comprehend what a mohawk is. I hate it when I see 2 and 3 YO kids with them.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
2/4/09 5:14 p.m.

My son as a 2 year old had a natural mohawk. His hair just grew that way.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
2/4/09 5:53 p.m.

On the last day of school, 60% came with mohawks. Some people used the wierdest stuff, too.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/4/09 6:14 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: On the last day of school, 60% came with mohawks. Some people used the wierdest stuff, too.

If they "used stuff" that's not a mohawk, it's a fauxhawk. A real mohawk requires clippers, and means making a commitment that lasts beyond your next shower.

jg

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
2/4/09 6:24 p.m.

Hmmm, Mohawk or Drugs? Well hair can grow back. Be-side's who did'nt do crazzy things when they were young??

driver109x
driver109x Reader
2/4/09 6:31 p.m.

I've seen kids that are dressed like their thug/gangster dad or slutty moms... attitude and all. I just shake my head.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/4/09 7:21 p.m.

Does this mean I'm an accessory too? The one touching Tebow's hand....which in theory means I've also been touched by the hand of God.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
2/4/09 9:00 p.m.

Well, I've got a ponytail so I can't complain but..

Mohawks look stupid, sorry, that's all there is to it. If your kid isn't old enough to choose, don't make them look as dumb as you do.

Yes, my old man hates my long hair but hey, I'm 30, what can he do about it? (this is completeley different than growing a mohawk, yeah, that's it...)

As for commitment, my punk ex-roommate had foot tall glued spikes.

Shawn

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
2/4/09 9:16 p.m.

When I was 25 I grew my hair long. I was out of the house and living with my fiance to whom I have been maried for 18 years. When I would go home I wouldnt sleep in the house nor let my guard down or else my father have cut my hair.Tthe earing that was in vouge at the time was instantly ripped from my ear. Took a while to heal and I had to wait 2 years to afford to have my earlobe repaired. Of course I knew going in I was playing with fire "I'll show him"... I WAS WRONG... And I apreciate the lesson learned.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
2/4/09 9:27 p.m.

Whenever I see one of these kids with the mohawks and crazy clothes, I just remember back to 1967, when I was wearing banana yellow bellbottoms tied with a 2" wide patent leather belt and a silk nehru jacket. I wanted so badly to look like a hippie/Beatle, but I was in ROTC at the time. The haircut didn't help the image, but it didn't keep me from doing it.

Give 'em a break; they'll have to grow up soon enough.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/4/09 9:50 p.m.

ponytail....? that's one step above a mullet

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/4/09 10:32 p.m.

My pony tail was suposed to go to locks of love, but i haven't mailed it out yet, after 6 months. But now washing my hair takes 1/10th the time it used to

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
2/4/09 11:35 p.m.

+1 for locks of love..

They've gotten two of mine now, growing the third at the moment.

I'll have a ponytail but never, ever grow a "kentucky waterfall"

Shawn

vladha
vladha New Reader
2/5/09 12:22 a.m.

My 6 year old recently got his first Mohawk, he'd been bugging me for a year... but the wife had put her foot down. During the baseball playoffs, everyone seemed to be getting "Rayhawks", but my boy walks to the beat of a different drummer. Flat out told me he wasn't interested in doing it just because everyone else was. Forgot to mention, sometimes, when talking with him, he seems like a well lived and wizened old man. He speaks with a lot of gravity, sometimes.

Well, the last time he asked, I decided to let him choose the cut. He explained everything in great detail to the "hair person". Had everything he wanted done mapped out ahead of time, length and width of the hawk and how close he wanted the side hair trimmed. No gel touches his hair, he's got pretty thick hair and he just pushed it up. I have to say, he looks good with a mohawk, and everyone in his school calls him the "little cool dude".

He's a pretty determined little guy, has been ever since he was born weighing less than 2 lbs. Plus, it's just hair... it'll grow back if he gets tired of it. He's my "Indigo" child and has the attitude and personality to go with it.

Me.... I had a pony tail for over 20 years, down to my waist. Even had my hair "fro'd" a few times. I'm not one to judge;).

Peas us Riced, Mark

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado New Reader
2/5/09 12:38 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Funny this comes up. My ex recently let our 6 year old dye his hair red (its pretty long). His 11yo brother has 2 earrings and dies his black. They both are nationally ranked BMX racers, former students of the month, all around good kids. We split custody (ex lives right down the road). To be honest I could care less if they want mohawks. Let them get it out of their system now not when they're 18. I grew up strict Irish Catholic and boy did I rebel when I got out of the house. Bigger fish to fry than haircuts IMO.

Agreed. I'm an atheist, and my ex is a Christian (not a fundamentalist). We're scared to death that our daughter (in an attempt to rebel against both of us) will one day come home wearing a black bag on her head and saying, "..Mom! Dad! I've found Allah!..""

Dang shame the Robert Bentley Co. doesn't make a shop manual for raising children..it would make things a lot easier...jeez, even a Haynes would help a lil' bit..

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/09 7:39 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Dang shame the Robert Bentley Co. doesn't make a shop manual for raising children..it would make things a lot easier...jeez, even a Haynes would help a lil' bit..

We need a runner called INSTANT CLASSICS going across the bottom, this (^^^^) would be on it.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
2/5/09 8:13 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: On the last day of school, 60% came with mohawks. Some people used the wierdest stuff, too.

A friend of mine wears his hair short. Like, buzzed to a 1/4 inch or a tad longer. When we were in high school, he grew it out for a period to play a character in "Grease". I held the cast party at my house and we gave him a mowhawk that he could have for the senior class trip (which I didn't go on for some reason). When he showed up at school the next day, the told him that if he didn't shave it off, they wouldn't let him go because it was "gang-like" and they didn't approve of that. Yeah.

Rat tails are the worst. Ugh. I hated them when I was ten and I hate them now. They should be banned.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/5/09 2:31 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Your 8-year-old is not an accessory. Thanks.

Kids--especially twins--actually are indeed the hot new accessory:

http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag/issues/20090201/New+Yorks+Diaper+Rush

Look at the names on the kids in the first line--of COURSE they're accessories!

<--misanthrope

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OoVA8LHdvJzg255R8avw4Gmi1H3taWRN1G0AoUiIDOTnUDFTRNlVf6P050w3hCAb