1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/22/20 4:41 p.m.

I can't even answer most of these.  Those that I can answer, there is nearly no chance of me answering the same way a second time.

Anyone have a trick for dealing with these?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/20 4:45 p.m.

Make the answer to all the questions, "Purgatory".

No Time
No Time Dork
8/22/20 4:45 p.m.

One way is to pick an answer that you use, regardless of the question. 

For example: Just pick any of the questions and put Miata as the answer, no matter what the question is. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/22/20 4:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
8/22/20 4:58 p.m.

I absolutely HATE the "What's your favoriet _____?" security questions, or any others that can either change with time or are entirely forgettable non-events in a persons life.  Any, or rather EVERY, so-called security 'expert' that thinks up those types of questions and thinks they are even an acceptable (let alone good) idea deserves a swift kick in the nuts from each and every person forced to answer them.

Of all the bad security question lists, that is one of the worst I've seen. Sorry I have only ranting but no help to provide, as I'm at a loss too. Good luck.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/20 5:03 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Well, poo.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/20 5:13 p.m.

3 questions huh?

berkeley off

berkeley this

berkeley you

In that order. Alphabetical order will help remember should you ever need to answer them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 5:55 p.m.

What if your childhood crush, childhood hero, worst movie you have ever seen, AND historical figure you'd most like to meet, are all the same answer?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 6:00 p.m.

I encountered one a couple weeks ago where I had to provide a codeword when calling in for phone support. No prompts, no categories, I'm just supposed to remember one random word, or remember where I wrote it down/stored it. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/20 6:09 p.m.
No Time said:

One way is to pick an answer that you use, regardless of the question. 

For example: Just pick any of the questions and put Miata as the answer, no matter what the question is. 

This, sort of.  I just use current answers.  For a question about least favorite candy, I read "favorite candy" and go with it.

Pop Culture references. Just has to be something you can commit to memory. Also, I find smart alek/cursing really helps with this stuff. I can say no more.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 6:31 p.m.

You guys need password vaults. They work for "secret questions" too.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

LastPass FTW

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/22/20 7:30 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I can't even answer most of these.  Those that I can answer, there is nearly no chance of me answering the same way a second time.

Anyone have a trick for dealing with these?

KeePass synced to Google Drive.

There's a note field for that info, but you never forget your password so W/E.

I know exactly 2 passwords. One for Google and one for the KeePass2 .kdbx file.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/22/20 7:57 p.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/22/20 8:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This. 

Also, the best way to answer security questions like these is to make each one a password that's completely unrelated to the question. Somebody can probably stalk you on Facebook to answer your security questions, but they'll never guess that the answer to "What is your earliest memory?" Is "MiataE30P71"

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/22/20 9:21 p.m.

Please show these possible security questions to my geriatric friends/relatives so they will stop taking Facebook quizzes which reveal the answers.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/22/20 9:42 p.m.

Those questions are awful. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/20 9:59 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Those questions are awful. 

See kazoospec's post.

Like antibiotics, all the easy ones are no longer useful because of dumb people.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
8/23/20 12:05 a.m.

I just fill in random non-answers and write them down and/or save to a file. And multiple levels of security verifications annoy me. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/23/20 7:31 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Please show these possible security questions to my geriatric friends/relatives so they will stop taking Facebook quizzes which reveal the answers.  

I've often seen conversations on web boards about "what was your first car", "what was your first job", etc. and thought the same thing...people readily volunteer all that information that they probably use elsewhere for security.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/20 8:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

yea, they're great, until you have an unexpected hard drive crash and can't login to it anymore on your new build, because "new password can't match the old password" that they said was berkeleying wrong in the first place. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/23/20 8:23 a.m.

Kansas.  Dust in the Wind.  

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/20 9:20 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

What if your childhood crush, childhood hero, worst movie you have ever seen, AND historical figure you'd most like to meet, are all the same answer?

Betsy Ross wasn't that hot... cheeky

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/23/20 9:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I really need to look into this, but I am using my work computer and I'm pretty sure policy doesn't allow them.  Especially for work related accounts.

I much prefer 2FA using my phone over this nonsense.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXpaJli1SwctF9i2tfSARyoZZ949h8tuqznsGcMwArhg5q7ZvYwcskWAlmV7iJ1y