1 2 3
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 11:07 a.m.

that's a problem that some run into .. in my case it didn't matter what I ate … I could even drink a bottle of water and the heartburn would kick in …

the only concern my Dr has, is that one of the side affects of long term use of omeprazole is some problems with bone brittleness … but for me the good far off sets the potential of the bad

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
3/4/14 4:31 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
curtis73 wrote: Treating it with proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec or Zantac aren't the *proper* fix, but they work with a low occurence of side effects.
since the surgeries don't always "work" … what is the "proper" fix ? as I posted earlier omeprazole, has totally taken care of my problem (no diagnostics done to determine what was the cause …just the result)

IMO it's difficult to say what the proper 'fix' is because everybody is different. Some may have genetic issues where your diaphragm isn't strong enough and you constantly burp up excess acid. Some react to stress and create all sorts of issues. For some it could be both.

I was on Nexium for 8 years and started to develop some really weird side effects. I basically thought I was developing diabetes because my symptoms were exactly like that. Believe it or not my relief came from my chiropractor. My C7 vertebrae is always out which helps to contribute to indigestion but what really did it for me was stopping the Nexium (long term PPI usage can be very bad for you) and taking two products from Metagenics: Metagest and Spectrazyme. Weird thing about GERD is it can be caused by both too much or too little stomach acid. What's more important than the quantity (IMO) is the quality. There can be a lot of old, rotten acid and food that builds up over time impeding your ability to properly digest the food. The combination of Metagest and Spectrazyme, over time, has allowed my digestion to get back on track and operating the way it should. I've been off Nexium for many years and feel better than I did when on it. Studies show that only something like 2% of people develop long term side effects but unfortunately I was part of that 2% and it made me look into better alternatives.

I have been off both the Spectrazyme and Metagest for a few months now and rarely, if ever, have any more heartburn. I may never be cured completely but continuing use of proton-pump inhibitors or surgery are NOT on my radar. If I have bad episodes I chew on Reflux Relief or down a shot of apple cider vinegar if it's especially bad. I made a choice on soda and beer - soda goes, beer stays. I still get a little bit of heartburn with a few beers and a cigar but I'm not giving up my vices completely yet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
76wMreHkBDaqvFtDFPl861xBPX451eVTLXRKEbQn9yVj3d3PaDmtBrEoF95zZ3rz