1 2 3 ... 12
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/29/20 4:27 p.m.

With the widespread civil unrest in America, I figured I'd create this thread so that GRM-ers in affected areas can check in and let us know if they're safe.

This is NOT a political thread and I'm sure our mod team would have no problem locking the thread if it gets that way.

For those of y'all who are in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Louisville and other regions experiencing unrest, how are you doing?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 4:32 p.m.

My co-workers in the twin-cities area are fine so far.  Considering the company HQ is there, many were already working from home, but those in the office are being told to head home early.

I feel this will be a long, hot summer that we will not forget.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 4:53 p.m.

The epicenter of this (3rd precinct, Target, cub) is literally the neighborhood I grew up in. I'm safe by 1600 miles but I've got family within blocks of there and I can literally do nothing due to current health situations. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 5:06 p.m.

As posted in the other thread, I'm about one mile as the crow flies from where Mr. Floyd was arrested, and about two miles from the epicenter of the rioting around the 3rd Precinct police station.  There has been some other violence and damage in other locations, as close as four blocks from my house (the Walgreens where I get my prescriptions was looted, fortunately I don't have any immediate need to go there.)  It's all happened in commercial areas, I'm not concerned about my house.  I was out at lunch, and noticed the businesses in my immediate neighborhood were boarding up their windows.

Officer Chauvin was taken into custody today, and charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter.  Hopefully that will reduce tensions.  The other three officers haven't been arrested but charges are pending.

They just announced a curfew for tonight in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Preliminary autopsy results were released and interestingly asphyxia wasn't indicated, but Mr. Floyd had underlying medical conditions, that along with intoxication may have contributed to his death.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/20 6:02 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Additionally, video has been circulating that has shown him not resisting arrest at all. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/20 6:03 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

1968 all over again, but with social media to fuel the fire. frown

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 6:13 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

1968 all over again, but with social media to fuel the fire. frown

Lets hope the results are better this time around.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
5/29/20 8:56 p.m.

Really not wanting to thread jack but can we please remember those who have lost loved ones to

suicide(isolation) during these trying times.............please stay safe sane y'all!!!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/29/20 9:01 p.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

please stay safe sane y'all!!!!

I almost lost it at Menards after work cause I got the runaround by the workers.  It was all my bad attitude and I wanted to go off and start screaming at some dude.  

This thing has beaten me down this week.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 10:06 p.m.

Crud.  Another fire tonight, at a gas station I often go to that's about six blocks away.  It's across the street from another police precinct house and there's a large gathering of people there.  They've also broken into a post office on that intersection.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/29/20 10:16 p.m.

So if it's found asphyxiation is not the cause of death, then what?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 10:25 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Then people keep rioting and blaming whoever their demon of choice is for covering it up. Most likely. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 10:25 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

They did say that the stress of being restrained was a factor, but there's no point in speculating on what the final report will say.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 10:27 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Crud.  Another fire tonight, at a gas station I often go to that's about six blocks away.  It's across the street from another police precinct house and there's a large gathering of people there.  They've also broken into a post office on that intersection.

The idiots are stealing packages from the post office now.  sad

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 10:28 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
stuart in mn said:

The idiots are stealing packages from the post office now.  sad

Nothing like a little federal mail tampering to go along with civil unrest. The pundits are gonna love that one. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/29/20 10:40 p.m.

There is definitely an increased police presence here (Northampton, western mass) tonight but everyone seems to be chillin. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 10:41 p.m.

There's a little strip mall along that area and they're breaking into the stores.  Right now they're looting a Dollar Tree; if you're going to loot a store that is way down the list.

Another guy is trying to break open the electrical service box at the gas station with an ax.

The crowd has doubled in the last five minutes, and they're starting to climb over the fence surrounding the police station.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
5/29/20 10:50 p.m.

I think our local authorities are competent so I'm optimistic. Going to work tomorrow. Definitely not going to risk entering a hot zone just for a delivery. They burned one Autozone already, that could have been my job going up in flames if I was in a different city. It's real, for sure.

Edit: Autozone in MN, not a local one. Yet.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
5/29/20 10:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Officer Chauvin was taken into custody today, and charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter.  

You mean ex-officer. He and his accomplices were all fired earlier this week. News is reporting his wife just filed for divorce and he is not the bio father of any children. 

Yesterday the looting and destruction spread into St Paul day and night and out to certain suburbs. SPFD responded to well over 100 structure fires in a 24 hour period! Many grocery stores, convenience stores/gas stations in the core cities are closed, if they already haven’t been rendered inoperable by the violence so far. Tonight news is reporting 35w has been shut down and other public roadways. Governor Walz authorized the state National Guard but it took them until today to start actually being visible. Today was pretty tame compared to yesterday and last night. Tonight is another story. This will get a lot worse before it gets better. All of this shows how delicate the overall fabric of society really is. 

And all this has turned the covid pandemic almost into yesterday’s news around here. Although Mpls Mayor Frey did offer to supply face masks to protesters.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/29/20 11:02 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/29/20 11:42 p.m.

Most of the buildings I mentioned above are fully on fire now.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
5/30/20 1:37 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Most of the buildings I mentioned above are fully on fire now.

S h i t. Hope all the good people get through ok.

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/30/20 2:06 a.m.

Haven't seen it on the news or anything yet, but apparently things have started to turn ugly in Louisville. A friend who lives there just posted a video of a bunch of people beating the crap out of a car owned by WLKY news.

EDIT: And protests starting in Bowling Green were met with some shiny happy person running people down with a car. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/30/20 7:20 a.m.

I live in the sw metro and can see corn fields from my front door. My neighbirhood is  surrounded by farms on the west and south sides and sprawl on the east and north.  I've got a different experience here.  But my many of of coworkers are closer. They are pretty much on edge.  One of my coworkers friends lost a restaurant to fire.  Unfortunately this is not a unique situation.  

my little town has a protest planned on Sunday.  Looks like it was planned by high school students. The local high school has had some issues with some racist stuff going on and a local group has been started since some kids decided to wear blackface to a sports event.  https://www.roar112.com/    All previous protests have been good and I've chatted with the folks in roar at local festivals.   I'm sure they are planning for a peaceful festival and the local cops are engaged right now. So. We will see.   

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 7:43 a.m.

Looks like Charlotte NC got wild last night. Were 40 miles east, and about 55 from the spot it happened. Hell one of the cuty councilmen was arrested during the riots!

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BPesVLHb5rudo2QGJesG4MXNORygg9qR2y0iGs9Ub1F4l2ZW1eZMk8UORcuIHepX