1 ... 10 11 12
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/3/20 5:06 p.m.

I feel bad for those in New York.  Hardest hit by Covid and now being destroyed by protesters.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 5:13 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
Cotton said:

Those same people passing judgement are now throwing social distancing etc out the window.  Absolutely crazy.  

I am not seeing this at all. I'm seeing the same people on facebook and other social media continue to call for social distancing and mask wearing. And I do not see anyone condoning the riots.  

I'm also not sure what you've been watching, because every video I've seen of peaceful and violent protests, the people demonstrating weren't staying 6 ft from each other. Mask or not. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/3/20 5:14 p.m.
Cooter said:
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) said:

This was created as a place for GRMers to let other GRMers know if they're safe or in danger. That's it.

No one listens.   It has been posted multiple times, and and it is ignored..  

Last night in Oak Lawn, Illinois was better than Monday night, which was better than Sunday night, which was the fear of the unknown more than anything.  

Same in Los angeles area , a few knuckleheads  but overall not many problems ......except ...........

Curfew and no way to leave and get back to your car , and buses were stopped.....200 plus arrested for curfew ,  

So far today its good.....and curfew is now 9pm , not 6pm like before....EDIT , just got text message moved to 10pm-5am , I hope that means things are getting better......

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 5:15 p.m.

Today was my first day back in my front row seat at the apocalypse. The good thing about early mornings is that the protesters aren't out yet and the streets are quiet due to the shutdown.  There are plenty of reminders posted to wear masks and maintain distancing.  The city has been handing out masks for weeks to people that don't have.  I'm always amazed at what big money can do. I've never seen so much plywood go up so fast. The looting in lower Manhattan was remarkably organized though I assume their use of a Bentley as a getaway car will likely come back to haunt them. Really, way to blend in. I made it back up to the compound well before anything started today. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Form what I saw this morning aside from a few high profile stories like Macy's and the few boutiques in Soho most of the damage that occurred was to buildings that were long vacant.  Most anything of value was emptied or boarded up early in the lockdown as a precaution.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/20 5:25 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Cotton said:

Those same people passing judgement are now throwing social distancing etc out the window.  Absolutely crazy.  

I am not seeing this at all. I'm seeing the same people on facebook and other social media continue to call for social distancing and mask wearing. And I do not see anyone condoning the riots.  

I'm also not sure what you've been watching, because every video I've seen of peaceful and violent protests, the people demonstrating weren't staying 6 ft from each other. Mask or not. 

I'm not disagreeing with  you. I'm saying that the voices that I saw and heard on social media that were saying "Wear a mask, stay home" are all still saying that. The protest organizers that I've seen are also saying "Wear a mask", but seem to be, at least in my circles of social media, completely different groups of people. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/3/20 5:29 p.m.

We have crazies coming out in Dallas. This guy chased the rioters down the street with a machete and got his butt kicked for the privilege.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/george-floyd-protests-truth-behind-viral-footage-of-machete-wielding-man-in-dallas-protests/news-story/1fe8ee24d9dd06f258ef6433d6512140

But this guy in Salt Lake City beats us with crazy. Gets out of his car and starts shooting rioters with a bow and arrow until, again there is a butt kicking. Warning the soundtrack to the video is not safe for work. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/3/20 5:34 p.m.

We just got off curfew- and now orange county is going back on punishment. Good news is swmbo gets off work early. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/3/20 5:58 p.m.

There is a curfew in Dallas for another week starting at 7 pm. I drove past what I later read to be a shooting near an elementary school in East Dallas last night about 6 pm. Not sure it had anything to do with the protest. There was another shooting in the same area later last night due to a robbery. It seems like all this stress has brought the crazies out. 

If the coronavirus doesn't make you want to stay home, the general insanity out there does. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 6:01 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Cotton said:

People say I am a pessimist, but I look at the bright side of things.  We're going to find out REAL SOON how many people either already had COVID-19 and didn't realize it, or are the type to be asymptomatic.

Don't interpret this as cheering people on, but if there is no spike in a week or two?  We can open things up further.  There is mounting evidence to suggest that it has been around, and on US soil, longer than we thought it was.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/20 6:10 p.m.

The protests seem pretty non-stop in LA.  Curfew will remain until they stop they say.  Looting seems to be a bit more under control.

I really don't see them stopping soon (not here at least).  There's a LOT of people with a lot of time on their hands with nothing to do.  Hanging out with a bunch of other people (and friends), which is not allowed with the restrictions, seems like a good idea to most.

Normally I would say it will die down on the weekdays when people go to work (nope) or school (nope) or some sort of significant sporting event (nope) or maybe rain (nope).

ACLU says curfews are unconstitutional, maybe so, but good luck if that goes away.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/3/20 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Definitely agree with you on that!  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/3/20 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you, Wally, for all that you do <3

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/3/20 6:50 p.m.

Announcement coming soon about how and which Confederate statues coming down in RVA. Sounds like just Lee at the moment.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/3/20 9:04 p.m.

Nature  had a protest 5.5 Earthquake a few minutes ago out in the San Bernardino desert , 

thats 80-100 miles from the 10,000 people protesting in Downtown LA ,  

And so far the protests are peaceful , 

Stay safe , 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/3/20 11:47 p.m.

Things are mostly quiet in Minneapolis now, but it was pretty crazy over the weekend.  My local post office, bank, gas station, pharmacy, and a number of other nearby businesses and restaurants were heavily damaged or burned down so I'm going to have to change my habits for the forseeable future (my local grocery was out of commission for a few days but they're back in operation again.) 

The other police officers were finally charged today.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
6/4/20 8:28 a.m.

We were very careful at the protests we attended but we woke up after the last one feeling some symptoms, so we're self-quarantining for two weeks.  I know there's an incubation period so we're waiting a few days and then getting tested.  There's a good chance this is my wife and I reacting to the air conditioners suddenly running 24/7 (the weather went from 60s to 90s in like two days) as that happens to us every year but we want to be as safe as possible.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/5/20 4:29 p.m.

Went to a protest in my hometown just a few minutes ago.   I wasn't involved in the march because I couldn't walk that far even if I wasn't social distancing.  

I stayed 12' or better away from everyone aside from my family, and wore a mask.    It was peaceful, and the only issues I saw were when two teens had some problems with the heat, and a tense moment for the police when someone walked up wearing a rubber pig mask.  

I had a difficult time with spending over 8 minutes on one knee, but I managed to hobble back home.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/5/20 7:00 p.m.

There was a peaceful protest in our small college city yesterday. Peaceful enough that we were within a couple blocks of it for a doctor's appointment and didn't notice. 

We live maybe 15 miles south of Wilmington DE and there has been a little more violence and looting there. Right now all the major routes through and into the city have been closed as a precaution. 

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xuH450oJWhwtpGDiHCSAu9RYkcwiEW9rHnoE8BzzaFe6mx9g9OGLy0VjJTfGfbht