1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/20 11:00 a.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/1/20 11:06 a.m.

Beverly Hills  has a 1pm curfew in the business district  , 4pm in the rest of the city , 

a  few  "influencers" people have posted about a 1pm gathering up in that area  and the Police are worried about that getting out of hand , 

If you are in LA , stay away from West Hollywood , Beverly Hills, West LA 

stay safe 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/1/20 11:10 a.m.

Something "good":  The news is showing Long Beach, which got hit pretty hard.  Many people in the community have come out and help clean up the streets and stores.

So, it's not all bad.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
tuna55 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 11:12 a.m.

I'm safe. Greenville seems pretty OK, being far enough away from Atlanta and Charlotte.

It's hard to read through all of the pages of politics. Was anyone here not OK?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/1/20 11:13 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 (Forum Supporter) :

So far so good. Doesn't seem like we have anyone directly affected. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 11:21 a.m.

Raleigh, NC has instituted a curfew due to unrest.

Both North Hills and Triangle Town center are less than three miles from my house.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
6/1/20 11:22 a.m.

My parents had people banging on their car as they went through one of the smaller cities not too far from home yesterday, but said it wasn't too bad. FWIW, my father inadvertently drove into the Rodney King riots back in 92 (in LA on business) and nearly got pulled out of his car by the same group that killed Reginald Denny, so I guess his standard for "not bad" is perhaps a bit different than others.

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
6/1/20 11:28 a.m.
Mndsm said:

So far so good. Doesn't seem like we have anyone directly affected. 

Great news. I am glad. Violence is terrible. Thanks for the summary. The world is insane. I saw a cardinal flying around in my yard yesterday and thought he may have a better life than I.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/1/20 11:31 a.m.

ITs times like this I want to literally sell everything and move to alaska and live off the land/grid. I mean, when Indy has a curfew for days in a row... ANY days and ANY curfew, it's getting bad. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/20 11:35 a.m.

Well he can fly but we've got it pretty good too. Plus you'd have to have bird sex which is probably a lot less hot.  

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/20 11:39 a.m.
bobzilla said:

ITs times like this I want to literally sell everything and move to alaska and live off the land/grid. I mean, when Indy has a curfew for days in a row... ANY days and ANY curfew, it's getting bad. 

The problem is that most places that aren't settled a/f are not settled for a reason. Cold, buggy, short days/long days. Super high suicide rate isn't for no reason. I love to fantasize about living off grid, watching alone and man vs wild, males it seem so natural and right. No Human Resources dept and E36 M3 out there. 

tuna55 (Forum Supporter)
6/1/20 11:41 a.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

Well he can fly but we've got it pretty good too. Plus you'd have to have bird sex which is probably a lot less hot.  

He has it better as far as the past few years, trust me.

But that type of civil unrest is different.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/1/20 11:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:

The problem is that most places that aren't settled a/f are not settled for a reason. Cold, buggy, short days/long days. Super high suicide rate isn't for no reason. I love to fantasize about living off grid, watching alone and man vs wild, males it seem so natural and right. No Human Resources dept and E36 M3 out there. 

It's more complicated than that but for those who understand what they're in for can find what they want.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/1/20 11:55 a.m.
02Pilot said:

My parents had people banging on their car as they went through one of the smaller cities not too far from home yesterday, but said it wasn't too bad. FWIW, my father inadvertently drove into the Rodney King riots back in 92 (in LA on business) and nearly got pulled out of his car by the same group that killed Reginald Denny, so I guess his standard for "not bad" is perhaps a bit different than others.

Is there an alternate ending where Reginald Denny was killed? I seemed to remember he lived and moved away from LA to get away from the craziness.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/1/20 11:58 a.m.

Denny lived. Probably not his best day, nor many of the others that followed, but he had more days, so he had that going for him.

As far as finding a perfect place, I want to stay right here and do everything I can to make it better.

Margie

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/1/20 11:58 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

It's more complicated than that but for those who understand what they're in for can find what they want.

Agree. Wife and I have looked at this before now. This is not a new or fleeting thought. But being tired of people definitely brings it back to the front of the brain. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/1/20 12:09 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Denny lived. Probably not his best day, nor many of the others that followed, but he had more days, so he had that going for him.

As far as finding a perfect place, I want to stay right here and do everything I can to make it better.

Margie

Margie, you're a better person than I. Then again we all here already knew that. I wish I had that kind of optimism and good will for strangers as you. Instead, I find people difficult, rude and hard to deal with on a daily basis. I need another dog. 

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/1/20 12:25 p.m.

Just woke up.   Went to sleep around 4:30 AM, after keeping an eye on things here overnight.   Lots of speculation online about all sort of things happening, but not very much official.  (more of the telephone game)  Will likely go for a ride after "breakfast" and see how things really look in my neighborhood and give an update.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
6/1/20 12:26 p.m.

Im driving up to Birmingham today to get my little sister.  She lives and works in a hotspot.  Well, she worked, until covid 19 and then riots.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/1/20 12:30 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I am doing fine here inh bu b Jacksonville.  As a plain clothes detective  I am probably the last person to get called up but it's a very real possibility. 

I am not particularly happy with the nonsense going on in my city and across my country.  One of my brother officers got stabbed in the neck last night by a "protester".  I am sure he totally deserved it based on the actions of some unprofessional poorly trained officer clear across the country.

My wife has had probably 30 people call or message her asking if I am OK.  That sucks for her, it sucks for my two small children

My big question is where is this outrage every night in Jacksonville when one gang member shoots another one.  What about the little kid that was shot a few weeks ago that was caught in a drive by.  It saddens me that the media and the country only cares if it is a white officer killing a black person.

89 police officers died last year serving their communities.  I didn't see any protests or looting on their behalf.  

Here in Minnesota  where it started according to a police buddy  None of those arrested on Friday were from the area.  
Protesters  found the makings of a fire"bomb" hidden in bushes and reported it to authorities.  Speculation is that outside agitators hid that in perpetration of further incitement .  Most Brick and mortar buildings won't start on fire with just a pack of matches and carrying gasoline and fuses around instead of picket signs is a pretty sure giveaway of bad intentions. 
It's extremely hard to put absolutes in any  complex situation.  But there are those with agenda's who will take advantage of peaceful protests for their own purposes. It's not always dumb locals doing stupid stuff. 
Being a police officer is a hard job.  Part of it is reacting and part of it is thinking.   We all applaud the officer that goes out of his way to help, but there must be situations where training and experience is what gets him home to his family.  The trouble is the hammer problem.  When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. 
I've had enough friendly conversations with policemen to know how seldom you get to interact with good people doing good things.  Your working day is with the worst sorts of people in bad situations. You have few civilian friends because your working hours tend to be when most good people are asleep.  Plus as a police officer many normally friendly people will shun you, both out of fear of making a mistake and intimidation over the gun you carry. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/1/20 12:51 p.m.
Georges1991 said:

In reply to Cooter :

Wow you're close. I'm at 103rd and Vincennes. 

Gulf on 99th and Halsted was being smashed and looted as I drove by at 23:45. Wagreens on 103rd and Michigan was on fire earlier. Walgreens at 95th and Ashland was looted. The beauty supply at 95th and Halsted was too. Lots of sirens etc tonight. Also had a shooting on 108th and Green and 115th and Halsted.

Brother is a copper in 018 and Uncle in 001. Quite a mess across the city today.

Yeah, you're just a hop, skip, and a jump or two.    But things were quite a bit worse the further east you went.  We were, as far as I can tell (will update later after I go for a ride), comparatively unscathed here.   

Stay safe, please.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/1/20 12:54 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Oddly enough I mostly hang out with non police officers.  I have a bunch of friends from work but a majority of the people I am with off duty are not cops.

I am a detective though and work normal hours.  When I worked the evening shift for seven years before I made it into investigations I would probably say I agree with you.

I hope everyone continues to stay safe out there.  Hopefully this will die down in the coming days

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/1/20 12:58 p.m.

A bit of weirdness around me:  Well away from the center of LA.  They ordered the stores in the area closed at 4pm yesterday and even closed down the freeway at one point for fear of a protest getting on it.  It sounds like they never attempted to get on the freeway, so a bit of over reaction.

Wife has a friend who had to drive through a protest to get home.  Had someone hit her car with a sign and call hear a racist.  So yeah, racism to cure racism....

As someone stated online recently:  Part of the crowd (certainly the largest in number) is there to protest / vent.  Part of the crowd is there to incite racially charged riots.  Another part is there to loot and steal.

To be realistic, you could have a demonstration of 100,000 and it would only take 100 of them to do a ridiculous amount of damage looting.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/1/20 12:58 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Oddly enough I mostly hang out with non police officers.  I have a bunch of friends from work but a majority of the people I am with off duty are not cops.

I am a detective though and work normal hours.  When I worked the evening shift for seven years before I made it into investigations I would probably say I agree with you.

I hope everyone continues to stay safe out there.  Hopefully this will die down in the coming days

We do not know each other but THANKs for doing your job ,, a few bad cops should not paint them all as evil , ,

Take care and stay safe

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fjaJrxnLsNFvqfgUoiRLeFRQHTuEERcAlnEacSdxJopxoMdtWflDmpI0iA3o5Gkn