ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/1/20 6:11 p.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/1/20 6:13 p.m.
aircooled said:

... so... speaking of misinformation being spread around (!):

I heard that someone tried to run down a bunch of protesters on the freeway with semi-truck.

Looked at the tape.  Clearly the guy wasn't paying attention, came screaming up on the very thick crowd, did some maximum braking, had to stop to not run over some (tripped?).  Got beaten heavily for his efforts.

Lots of misinformation and distortions (see 2 above).

And I believe the driver was charged. 

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/1/20 6:19 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Trump just made a long speech ,  very well written  , 

called up US forces etc....

We will see what he can really do ,  and I can say I do not know what I want him  to do !

Time will tell

Stay safe , 

Ah yes. Something that worked so well during the '92 King riots and during the Kent State protests.

I'm sure this will go so much better this time.

Credit where credit is due, it did work during the aftermath of Brown v Board of Education.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/1/20 6:24 p.m.

Things might get heated tonight in Richmond. Video just came out of a cop macing a man through his home/apt. window as he was yelling at them the other night.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/20 7:33 p.m.

It seems the social distancing and mask police have taken some time off.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
6/1/20 7:34 p.m.
bobzilla said:
aircooled said:

... so... speaking of misinformation being spread around (!):

I heard that someone tried to run down a bunch of protesters on the freeway with semi-truck.

Looked at the tape.  Clearly the guy wasn't paying attention, came screaming up on the very thick crowd, did some maximum braking, had to stop to not run over some (tripped?).  Got beaten heavily for his efforts.

Lots of misinformation and distortions (see 2 above).

And I believe the driver was charged.

The news in the Minneapolis incident fluctuates with the truth. Although one news media source said the protesters were kind and helpful to the semi driver, the linked article is most accurate and says otherwise. The semi driver was already on 35w BEFORE they gave the order to shut down that stretch of freeway to vehicular traffic. Someone in authority likely dropped the ball in not seeing the semi tanker rolling toward the huge crowd hence greatly endangering the crowd. 

As to why the driver did not lock his doors for at least a little protection I have no idea. Same with Reginald Denny. They were each in big trucks and let themselves be pulled from inside and out into harms way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/31/breaking-semi-truck-appears-to-drive-through-protest-marchers-on-i-35w-bridge/amp/

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/20 7:37 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

First off I mean no disrespect to what happened to the victim.

But What blows my mind is why is this deemed an racist act?

Would it have happened to a white man? Would that police officer have put his knee on the neck of a white man until he was dead? The prevailing wisdom - and I agree with it - is that no, he wouldn't have.

It has happened.  I will have to try and find the article,  but I do remember a similar instance and the victim was white.  Both instances horrible, but the reactions vastly different.

edit,  this is the one I was thinking of.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 7:44 p.m.

Would it have happened to a white man? Would that police officer have put his knee on the neck of a white man until he was dead? The prevailing wisdom - and I agree with it - is that no, he wouldn't have.

Cops don't kill white people? Here's a chart of people shot and killed by police, by race. 
Can you show me where is shows that the odds are better if he was white?

I must be missing it  

6/1/20 7:52 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Cops don't kill white people?

Sure they do.

You're just 2.8x more likely (2012 study) to die in a confrontation with the police if you're black according to NCBI.

Or, citing a more recent study 2.5x more likely (2019 study).

That's kind of the problem here. The 2019 Rutgers study actually states that 1:1000 black men will die at the hands of the police and it is one of the leading causes of death. That's staggering.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 8:00 p.m.

I don't think if police brutality were applied colorblind, that makes it any better.

6/1/20 8:05 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Cops don't kill white people? Here's a chart of people shot and killed by police, by race. 
Can you show me where is shows that the odds are better if he was white?

I must be missing it  

Cool. Now apply that data to the respective proportions of the US population and normalize it to 1:100,000 to determine the risk factor like we do for heart disease, COVID-19, cancer, and vending machines.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Your posted graph supports my claim. 72% of America is "white," while 12% is "black." The graph you posted shows about 1.8x as many white people killed by police when there are about 5.76x as many white people in the population. Which means black people are over 3x as likely to be killed by police as white people. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/1/20 8:20 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/20 8:32 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

You promised to ignore me. Liar. 

Man you are really childish. You respond directly to one of my posts, I'm going to reply. Then since you were proven wrong you deflect and redirect. Thanks again for showing your stripes. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/1/20 8:47 p.m.

Can we just lock this berkeleying thing? Seems as if people just can't act right. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
6/1/20 8:53 p.m.

A man in Omaha was dragged to the ground by protesters after his business was attacked by vandals. He shot and killed one of his attackers, and was not charged for acting in self defense.

Protesters are now referring to him as a "homophobic racist" and demanding he be charged with murder.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/1/20 8:56 p.m.
Cotton said:

But the Covid19 isn't taking time off.  Just wait.  

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/1/20 9:00 p.m.
Cooter said:
Marjorie Suddard said:
stuart in mn said:
Cooter said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I just want to remind everyone that this thread is more of a "check in and make sure you're doing ok" that a "let's fix race relations in the country". I understand anger and fear and that a lot of you are close to the events out there. We can't let this thread devolve into a political debate, not on GRM, it won't stay open if it does. 

Just think this needs to be repeated on this page of the thread.

Needs to be repeated again.

And again. This discussion is fraught with danger already. If you find yourself bringing other topics to this topic, then you are escalating it into an argument. Don't do it. 

Margie

One more time, in case people can't hear it on this page...

Has this been posted on this page of the check-in thread?

I'm guessing it hasn't...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/1/20 9:02 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
Cotton said:

But the Covid19 isn't taking time off.  Just wait.  

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what shakes out.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/1/20 9:02 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Can we just lock this berkeleying thing? Seems as if people just can't act right. 

X2

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/1/20 9:26 p.m.

Watching coverage of the protest here in Huntsville. It was peaceful then the cops started shooting gas at the protest. 

Now it sounds like looting is starting

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/1/20 9:28 p.m.

While I live WAY south of Boston and clear of most of the protests, the city had both good and bad happen yesterday. We had a day of thoughtful, peaceful protest, and of course, the night brought the instigators of chaos. I thought we were better than this... guess not. sad I work in the city (in non-pandemic times) and I hate seeing it burn or its people in pain. 

Tonight, there's threats to the south of Boston to one of the largest malls in the area. Beefed up police presence are there to defend it from looters. Tomorrow, there's a planned vigil in my wife's hometown that I fear will get out of hand somehow. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/1/20 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

I was going to send you a moderator's first warning, but then I decided to just leave you a "die in a fire" message here. Hugs!

Margie

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 10:23 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

I was going to send you a moderator's first warning, but then I decided to just leave you a "die in a fire" message here. Hugs!

Margie

I berkeleying swear, Margie made me snort water out of my nose. 

Today was the first day of curfew in Raleigh. Violating the curfew carries up to 60 days in jail and up to a $1000 fine. That's enough to be the difference between "getting by" and "homeless" for a lot of people, especially with the pandemic going on.

The peaceful protesters disbanded at curfew time. I've heard a lot fewer sirens tonight. I'm wondering how much of that is due to the curfew, how much is due to increased law enforcement presence and how much is just because it's not the weekend.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/20 10:27 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:
Marjorie Suddard said:

Margie

I berkeleying swear, Margie made me snort water out of my nose. 

I'd want to give her a hug if it were not for the fact that her hugs tend to be scary.  Also like 1000 miles away and covid.

Mellow greetings, what seems to be your boggle?

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AR5D11jD6vZsRl2e0ntbWTuy7KTtbq4c5NrKNHj5Y0VFCESZxs3VeB3rwR18zI6Q