wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/13/16 2:39 p.m.

OK some of you degenerates must have cleaned things inside a house with a angle grinder. I have a restroom that I am helping renovate and the tube and the tile around it are stained black with dead mold. (been bleached and killed)

Is there some sort of nylon brush that I could mount to a angle grinder or buffer to clean the grout out without hurting it right.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
8/13/16 2:46 p.m.

Can't answer your question specifically, but how bout a toothbrush screwed onto a sawz all blade?

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
8/13/16 2:51 p.m.

Crap just last week I saw a diy on Facebook about cutting off a round scrubby hand brush type thing, putting a bolt through it and mounting it in the chuck of a drill. I will look for it

Two days later, if anyone sees this Too lazy to clean? This power drill scrubber is perfect for you. ✨

Full instructions: http://bzfd.it/2aHIkWE

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/13/16 4:16 p.m.

Ok just did it. Yeah don't try this at home.

Took a round carpet cleaning nylon brush and a metal cutout from course stripper ring that I had.

It will clean grout. It will also be spinning so fast that it will throw soap all around the whole room. Then try and eat through the tile. Tried it a little at hhome home. Got some of the most stubborn stains you have ever seen off concrete while testing it. Its a full on safety glasses sort of deal. Will report back if I survive.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
8/13/16 4:59 p.m.

I'd just use some steel wool or scotch brite.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/13/16 5:08 p.m.

Hey y'all watch this! Weary's gonna do some cleaning!!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/13/16 5:26 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Hey y'all watch this! Weary's gonna do some cleaning!!

I was good, I put my beer down on the ground before starting.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/16 5:59 p.m.

I'm about to go through this process myself as we're selling our condo (anyone looking in Rochester, MI?) We have to get the grout clean around the toilet, in the tub/shower, and kitchen floor. I'm not looking forward to it. I like the sawzall and toothbrush idea!

Please report back how it worked. Thanks!

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/14/16 10:41 p.m.

This is what you needed.

Porter Cable Oscillating Multi Tool

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/15/16 12:10 a.m.

He wants to clean it not remove it.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/15/16 6:00 a.m.

wouldnt this same idea with a dremel w/ flex shaft attachment be a little easier to control?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/15/16 6:31 a.m.

Sag spins way too fast and I don't know of a brush that could survive it. But a drill and brush are another story. There are special scrub brush drill attachments made, or you could make your own with a ~2" screw and nut and a scrubby dispenser.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/15/16 9:41 a.m.

The cordless drill is the way to go. Powered cleaning but at a controllable speed, not the 8,000 RPM angle grinder lunacy.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/15/16 9:43 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/16 9:43 a.m.

In reply to nepa03focus:

My wife showed me this yesterday and said "two please".

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/15/16 9:45 a.m.

Concrobium makes a mold stain remover that may be better than bleach. Just bought some at Home Depot but haven't tried it yet.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/15/16 1:28 p.m.

Looks like these brushes would work to replicate the video thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Touch-Dispensing-Refills/dp/B011XEA0QU

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/15/16 1:31 p.m.

Also, stuff that's baked into the grout due to time might not scrub out but you might be able to clean it out with this method:

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/111918

Basically mix baking soda and peroxide, let it sit on the stain for a while, then rinse. I used it to clean mouse tracks (which is dark pee and stains really badly) out of marble and grout and it worked.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/15/16 9:52 p.m.
dculberson wrote: He wants to clean it not remove it.

Come on man! we are talking about brushes on angle grinders, recip saws and drills and a brush on an oscillating Multi tool is unthinkable?

Adjustable speed. And you can fab many styles of cleaning materials to the tool edge.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oMngudh0U1wAiPs5BaabG2RMRxrlpJ53HiPMKjkgzzKDNb5kUxSPcR1S3iLaL1mM