1 2
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 10:14 a.m.

I always thought he got a raw deal when he moved into politics. A person doesn't get to be a general without political acumen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33957894

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 10:16 a.m.

Lots of respect for what he did in life. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/21 10:17 a.m.

A fine man who could reach across the political divide.  Sorry to see him go.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/21 10:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

A fine man who could reach across the political divide.  Sorry to see him go.

This. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 10:21 a.m.

We have lost a great American. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 10:22 a.m.

And he was a car guy. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/18/21 10:48 a.m.

The sad reality is that he did not want "the job", and that is exactly why I think he would have been great at it.

I always thought he had great potential, that was pretty well dampened by the whole WMD assertations, but it seems like he did pretty good for himself.

Hopefully more like him will be showing up going into the future.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/18/21 10:50 a.m.

Remember the Top Gear episode when he and Joe Biden drag raced their Corvettes?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/21 2:42 p.m.

I couldn't agree with the Powell doctrine more. Do not go to war until all other possible avenues are exhausted.  Once the decision is made, use the full might of the military to achieve a clear, concise objective.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/21 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

MIT did exhaustive work on computerized war simulation strategies back in the 60's and 70's and they identified three correlates to success:

1.  Don't start a fight.

2.  If someone starts a fight with you, provide a huge disproportionate response.

3.  Be quick to suspend hostilities so your opponent has time to reconsider.

Obviously Powell was highly constrained by what his political leaders wanted but it always appeared to me that he understood and was doing his best to apply the strategies. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Agreed. He was very intelligent and I believe a compasionate man. No one wants war but if it must be make it unbearable for your enemy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/18/21 3:28 p.m.

We need more like him in government/military.

Unfortunately, I'm already seeing people using his death as vitriol against the vaccine, even though he was 84 with cancer. sad

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/18/21 3:29 p.m.
aircooled said:

The sad reality is that he did not want "the job", and that is exactly why he I think he would have been great at it.

The problem is, the best people for the job are usually smart enough to not want it.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
10/18/21 7:52 p.m.

I was sad to hear of his passing.

I was a kid when Desert Storm/Shield occurred and remembered him from TV as a youngin (born in 82).

As I got older and learned more about him, I liked him more and more. Had hoped that years ago he made a presidential bid, but as stated above, most that would be great for the role dont want the role.

Godspeed sir. Thank you for what you did for our nation.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/18/21 9:41 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Unfortunately, I'm already seeing people using his death as vitriol against the vaccine, even though he was 84 with cancer. sad

And Parkinson's. There's your "underlying conditions" example.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/18/21 10:25 p.m.

I saw Powell speaking as the headliner at a tech company offsite about twenty years ago.  He was impressive. 

Perhaps the thing I respect most about him was admitting he was hoodwinked into giving the speech at the UN supporting the Iraq invasion, and that he regretted it.  He took responsibility for a mistake and didn't make excuses.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
10/18/21 10:35 p.m.
ddavidv said:
z31maniac said:

And Parkinson's. There's your "underlying conditions" example.

Ok, I'll play devils advocate. If he had cancer, and Parkinson's, and those contributed, don't report it as a COVID death with a "see how bad it is" undertone. You're begging to stir up people. 

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/21 10:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I couldn't agree with the Powell doctrine more. Do not go to war until all other possible avenues are exhausted.  Once the decision is made, use the full might of the military to achieve a clear, concise objective.  

The last part of the Powell Doctrine, and perhaps the most important part, is knowing exactly what your exit strategy is.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/19/21 8:48 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

I saw Powell speaking as the headliner at a tech company offsite about twenty years ago.  He was impressive. 

Perhaps the thing I respect most about him was admitting he was hoodwinked into giving the speech at the UN supporting the Iraq invasion, and that he regretted it.  He took responsibility for a mistake and didn't make excuses.

Yep, I think it's far more honorable to just own it. "You know what, I made a mistake, I apologize. No excuses." Instead of trying to blame others, etc. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/19/21 8:58 a.m.
z31maniac said:
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

Yep, I think it's far more honorable to just own it. "You know what, I made a mistake, I apologize. No excuses." Instead of trying to blame others, etc. 

This x1000, we need more of it.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/19/21 9:23 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/19/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

It was the same thing with John McCain. Never mind his showing off on the USS Forrestral that killed almost 140 service men or his reputation as a stool pigeon while he was a POW, which lead to more deaths of his own troops.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/19/21 11:33 a.m.

Powell is worse.  They're both awful people, though, and the effect here is similar.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/19/21 11:40 a.m.

Powell was an honorable man in a city full of rats. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/19/21 11:45 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

It was the same thing with John McCain. Never mind his showing off on the USS Forrestral that killed almost 140 service men or his reputation as a stool pigeon while he was a POW, which lead to more deaths of his own troops.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-mccain-fire-uss-forrestal/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/was-sen-john-mccain-a-hanoi-hilton-songbird/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjxQErZpmHeUShACi4fUAMiFuhSosVD8l4ExnYh5Oi4niKn4GDlE2jGwH0bgcHAa