EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/12 12:27 a.m.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/27/us-usa-wildfires-idUSBRE85L1DD20120627

This looks pretty bad.

I wonder what it means for the PPIHC?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/12 9:21 a.m.

PPIHC is postponed at this point as the volunteers that would work the event are busy containing fires, the towns nearby are evacuated and the highway leading to Pike Peak is closed.

They expect to have the fire contained by the 16th of July, but Mother Nature always has her idea of when that really should be.

Of course the Forest Service isn't really about fighting fires so much as containing them to prevent damage to homes and people. If they wanted to fight the fire, they would use the larger water delivery planes that Evergreen Aviation built and presented to them, instead Evergreen uses the planes to fight fires outside of the US.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/27/12 11:57 a.m.

Fire danger is really extreme here in colorado - all of our towns in the Western Slope high country have had to cancel July 4th firewords shows, and we're holding our breath hoping we get our annual monsoon rains that usually start in a couple of weeks. We got about half our normal snowfall this past winter, have had no measurable rain since the last snow in April, so the fire danger is really bad. We particularly worry about tourists from other, non-arid parts of the couontry who think nothing about tossing cigarettes out the windows.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
6/27/12 12:21 p.m.

Got some friends with a newborn in the fire's path. According to their last email sent 30 minutes ago, they are "locked and loaded and ready to move at a moments notice." Hopefully they can stop the fire at I-25. If not, they will implement their evacuation plan.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
6/27/12 1:00 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Where did you get that info on PPIHC? The official statement yesterday from the Colorado Springs Sports Corporation said they are 'cautiously optimistic':

turboswede
6/27/12 2:31 p.m.
cghstang wrote: In reply to turboswede: Where did you get that info on PPIHC? The official statement yesterday from the Colorado Springs Sports Corporation said they are 'cautiously optimistic':

Facebook posting from Bill Caswell and one of the officials. The environment has changed so quickly since that press release that I wouldn't hold your breath (unless you're in the area, then you may need to)

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
6/27/12 3:09 p.m.

I don't know much about Colorado other than how to get to my SIL's house, how close is all this to Vail?

I have friends who left for there on Monday. I do know they don't have AC and the temps have been extremely high but don't know if they're getting the smells or the flames.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/12 3:12 p.m.

Mother Nature can be a real B--ch. Stay out of the way and stay safe.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
6/27/12 3:15 p.m.

My little brother is on an crew that does govt contracts to fight wildfires; just emailed me, says he's been called out, leaves tomorrow morning early. Don't know if he's headed to CO or someplace else. I'll update when I talk to him this evening.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/27/12 3:23 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I don't know much about Colorado other than how to get to my SIL's house, how close is all this to Vail? I have friends who left for there on Monday. I do know they don't have AC and the temps have been extremely high but don't know if they're getting the smells or the flames.

I'm not sure where the fires are currently, but the big ones in the news were just outside of Ft. Collins, and now down near Colorado Springs. Neither is anywhere near Vail, so your friends should be fine. That is, unless the fires have popped up there too.

I sure hope Manitou Springs isn't in trouble. I just love that little town.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
6/27/12 3:33 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Of course the Forest Service isn't really about fighting fires so much as containing them to prevent damage to homes and people. If they wanted to fight the fire, they would use the larger water delivery planes that Evergreen Aviation built and presented to them, instead Evergreen uses the planes to fight fires outside of the US.

If by planes you mean the one 747 Supertanker Evergreen has. Last I heard the FAA was still bitching about it's use inside the U.S.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/27/12 3:48 p.m.

Most of north colorado springs west of i25 has been evaced. I'm about five miles from the evacuated area myself. Manitou springs seemed to be in trouble at first but the wind shifted directions. Most of the problem is the terrain the fire is on, very hard to contain a fire that is on the side of a ridge. Pretty confident it will be contained once the crews have some better terrain to build fire breaks on.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
6/27/12 4:06 p.m.

The fire jumped over a valley and ridge yesterday, driven by 65 mph winds, and into a residential area on the northwest side of town. The firefighters were helpless and described the situation as a literal firestorm. Current reports estimate that more than 100 homes were burned.

I was coming into town from the north as all this was unfolding yesterday afternoon, and it looked like the start of the apocalypse. There are some incredible pictures in various places on the internet. At this point the authorities have most of the northwest side of town evacuated and blocked off to any access.

My house is 20 miles east of the whole mess, so in no immediate danger, but it is incredibly dry and hot here and fires are liable to start anywhere at any time. The winds are kind of crazy and regularly switching directions, so it is really difficult to predict where the fire will spring up next.

-chris r.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
6/27/12 4:10 p.m.

Here's a link to some of the stuff we were seeing yesterday...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/colorado-wildfires-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5732/

-chris r.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/27/12 4:16 p.m.

I dont even own a miata, and I still checked a map today to make sure keith and the rest of the FM guys were not near the flames.

turboswede
6/27/12 4:23 p.m.

I work for HP and quite a few of my co-workers live/work in Colorado, very scary seeing the pictures they are posting and talking about the smoke alarms going off in their houses.

Currently PPIHC is taking a lot of flak for talking about holding the event given the mess that Colorado is in right now and will be for a bit. The outside money spent for the event would help with rebuilding, but not when people are evacuated into the area hotels, etc. They also are not doing a very good job of updating competitors, many are getting their info from the local news coverage. They are missing a chance to be a part of the community and to help, lets hope things get better all around quickly.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
6/27/12 9:10 p.m.

The local Colorado Springs newspaper website just posted a story that the US Forest Service has told the PPIHC that they must postpone the hill climb until later in the summer. Sounds like no date has been set at this time...

http://www.gazette.com/articles/pikes-140929-hill-postponed.html

-chris r.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/27/12 9:25 p.m.

My aunt, uncle, and cousin are holed up in a hotel room right now. They live in Colorado Springs and the fire is getting dangerously close to their home. I'm glad they are OK and here's hoping the fire doesn't spread any further.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/12 8:53 a.m.

We have good friends that live about 10 miles from the fire. They are all packed up and ready to go so I am not worried about them but there is a 356 and an RS America that are in the garage.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/28/12 10:09 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: We have good friends that live about 10 miles from the fire. They are all packed up and ready to go so I am not worried about them but there is a 356 and an RS America that are in the garage.

GRM road trip! We must save the cars!!!!

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
6/28/12 7:03 p.m.

If I were even remotely close to them I would gladly offer to drive either of those cars to safety in my garage. In all seriousness after seeing the pictures I just hope they can get a handle on the fires and there is no loss of life. Some of the pics are truely scary stuff.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/12 9:03 a.m.

We as a family were going to fly out there, me for the hill climb and my wife to visit, hopefully next year.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
6/29/12 9:10 a.m.

We (wife and I) were going to the hill climb among other things. We're still going but staying in Denver now and doing more of the other things.

The Cog Rail that runs up Pike's Peak did run yesterday and we plan on doing that among a few other things in the Colorado Springs area.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
6/29/12 9:18 a.m.

Younger brother left for the two-day-old Grand Junction fire this morning.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/29/12 9:19 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Younger brother left for the two-day-old Grand Junction fire this morning.

Ruh oh....

Keith? You guys ok up there?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8VRO4YThoknnJXFl6BB7qtdGQkCIQ4AOg5j3Rnex28CVdcR53GWRy3hc2fS4lndJ