1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/13/21 1:47 p.m.

This was on the radio yesterday - an insurance quote site had tried to put together a list of cars with the most reckless driving citations per car on the road. And the results were a bit strange.

https://insurify.com/insights/car-models-with-the-most-reckless-driving/

10. Dodge Challenger.
9. Saturn L200.
8. Chevrolet K1500. (Not the later Silverado - the 2002 and earlier model.)
7. Dodge Ram 1500.
6. Volkswagen CC.
5. Cadillac ATS.
4. Nissan 370Z.
3. Isuzu Rodeo.
2. Hyundai Genesis Coupe
1. Mazda MX-5 Miata

OK, I can't say I'm terribly surprised that reckless drivers think The Answer is the best choice too, but how did the Saturn L200 get on this list? There can't be that many left on the road - perhaps it doesn't take much at that point for one maniac to really skew the results.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

It's because the SL200s left on the road are on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th owners by now, who are well into the "Don't Give A Berk" zone.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/13/21 1:57 p.m.

No BMW's on the list? It's fake. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
10/13/21 2:03 p.m.

Saturn L200? VW CC? Isuzu Rodeo? I can't remember the last time I saw any of those being driven, let alone being driven recklessly.

Edit: Just looked through the whole page, and a few things stand out. First, the latest in-production date listed for any model is 2019, so I suspect this article dates from that year, even though it's not mentioned anywhere. Second, they're using their own users as the sample, but for this to be meaningful, we would need to know more about the people who price-shop insurance through their platform. One wonders if their users are not necessarily the most responsible drivers on the road, the kind who might accrue lots of driving infractions, the kind that raise rates and make people look for other, cheaper providers....

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
10/13/21 2:05 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

They can afford attorneys.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 2:35 p.m.

Any Isuzu rodeo is left on the planet are good for one thing and one thing only, taking off of gigantic jumps. So I totally understand how they are prominently featured on the list.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/13/21 2:46 p.m.
bobzilla said:

No BMW's on the list? It's fake. 

I always felt Volvos were the most recklessly driven vehicles on the planet.  I figured the drivers knew their cars had a legendary reputation for safety and they were just like "berkeley it.  You can't hurt me."

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/21 2:58 p.m.

I think color is a better indicator of reckless driving than make / model.

Fun fact, 62.7% of people that drive a black car will squirt saline out of the top of their head if you squeeze their abdomen quickly...adding a Raiders sticker takes you up to 92.5% and putting the whole shebang on a 2.5L Altima gets you a perfect 100%.

Runs for door cheeky   

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
10/13/21 3:35 p.m.

By far the #1 vehicle of choice for reckless drivers in my area is the Nissan Altima. 8 out of 10 Altimas that I spot are tailgating and swerving through traffic. The other 2 have already been pulled over. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/13/21 3:52 p.m.

For me in my area. 

#10 Chevrolet Camaro

#9 Tesla 

#8 VW Golf

#7 Ford F-150

#6 Dodge Challenger

#5 Audi A4/S4

#4 Nissan Altima/Maxima

#3 Dodge Charger

#2 Ford Mustang

#1 BMW whatever vehicle the plant is allowing the employees to lease right now. It's awful. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/13/21 4:03 p.m.

The Saturn drivers want to die because they don't want to drive another mile in those crapbox L200s.

Around here it's definitely Mopar products and Nissan Altimas. Also, Teslas and Priuses are driven with reckless abandon.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/21 4:25 p.m.

FWIW, I get e-mails all the time promoting these kinds of articles: promote this to your readers!

It's basically click-bait, so I delete. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/13/21 4:31 p.m.

If this were true, Miata's would have much higher insurance rates. 

The Saturn and Rodeo make sense though, because there are few of them out there, it only takes a few reckless drivers to send their rates through the roof. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/21 4:33 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

By far the #1 vehicle of choice for reckless drivers in my area is the Nissan Altima. 8 out of 10 Altimas that I spot are tailgating and swerving through traffic. The other 2 have already been pulled over. 

Specifically - previous generation Altimas.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/21 5:04 p.m.

Hands down, it's Altimas around here. Runners up would be Grand Am and then Dodge pickups.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/21 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

I don't think I've seen a Pontiac grand am in a decade. And I live in Atlanta where cars don't rust. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/21 7:03 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

If you can't swing an Altima you settle for the Grand Am. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/21 7:53 p.m.

Complete bullE36 M3.  The previous generation Nissan Altima is not at the top of the list. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 8:02 p.m.

Altimas are by far the most beat up and raggedly looking. I would guess they are also probably the cars most often without insurance. I seldom see them driving recklessly but if there is going to be someone holding up traffic with a phone in their face, it will be them. 

The Miata is certainly driven more aggressively around here so I'm not surprised to see them near the top of the list. I'm surprised the Mustang isn't #1 though. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/21 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

I saw this ridiculously clean one recently & it made me realize that in another 20 years people will be freaking out when they see one. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/21 9:21 p.m.

I'm in agreement with the Altima drivers being a common culprit. However, there's one shiny happy person that drives a black camaro SS with a wing that I frequently see on my commute to work that outdoes everyone. 

I did see a highway patrol officer on the shoulder handing him a stack of papers one morning, then didn't see the car again for months. I wish he'd go ahead and total it and get it over with, as long as he doesn't take anyone with him. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/21 9:39 p.m.

Funny, I've always seen Prius drivers doing crazy things. That, and Pontiac Grand Prixes (how do you pluralize "Prix"??)

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/21 9:44 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Funny, I've always seen Prius drivers doing crazy things. That, and Pontiac Grand Prixes (how do you pluralize "Prix"??)

In this context, replace the X with "cks." 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/21 12:07 a.m.

If we're talking about doing something mind numbingly stupid, like driving 10 under then turning in front of oncoming cars, I bet that it'll be turning into the Red Lobster not far from my house. As others have said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a Nissan Altima, but the previous generation of luxury SUVs are almost as likely to be at fault.

In terms of drag racing on the street, it'll be a Challenger or Charger, usually with an overrun crackle tune on it.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/21 7:50 a.m.
P3PPY said:

The plural form of Grand Prix is actually Grands Prix, but I like Floating Doc's answer better.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kSzN0orGF0WUwB2soh3Sgv7rHgCI6Fe1hLOUVrBDHdZRLUYnkfN1jztaN52kwxur