914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/11/08 11:50 a.m.

Can someone crop and downsize a photo for me to use as an avatar? It has to be 50 or 55 pic per the new bylaws, but check the FAQs before commiting.

Send an email to me at _ and I will attach it to the reply.

Thank you.

Dan

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/08 12:01 p.m.

I want to help you, but I'm honestly worried about my personal email address passing through a US military mail server. Nother personal, I'm just paranoid. If you could post the pic, or send it through a different email to my username at gmail, I'd be happy to help.

therex
therex Dork
6/11/08 12:14 p.m.

Email sent.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/11/08 12:20 p.m.

914, the site will resize it for you, actually, but here's a handy online resizing tool, too: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Also, anyone can contact you via your profile. I wouldn't post my email if I were you (spambait). This is the only board I know of that doesn't show your email anywhere for the spambots to pick it up.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/11/08 12:42 p.m.

Thank you guys. I've deleted my address from the thread even though our Firewall is pretty good.

I thought the context of the avatar was funny, it may get removed by Lefties or Libbers anyway.

BTW: Gameboy. We already know who you are....

therex
therex Dork
6/11/08 12:44 p.m.

I sent you a resize, but at 55x43, you can't read any of it. :(

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/11/08 12:57 p.m.

Yeah, it's up there now, I'll take it off. Thanks for the help anyway.

Dan

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/11/08 1:04 p.m.

You now, if you DID just let the site resize it for you, a larger version would be on your profile.

GameboyRMH
6/11/08 1:07 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: You now, if you DID just let the site resize it for you, a larger version would be on your profile.

I realized that myself a while ago...I was going for a very low compression JPEG avatar resized with a proper algorithm, but then I realized I'm better off with a full-sized pic in my profile.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/11/08 1:10 p.m.

The thing I want resized also needs cropping. I think I need photoshop.

GameboyRMH
6/11/08 1:11 p.m.

MS paint is plenty enough for resizing and cropping. Irfanview (free app) is plenty enough if you want to get fancy with it.

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you actually need photoshop-like features, GIMP could save you a lot of money:

http://www.gimp.org/

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/11/08 1:15 p.m.

Yeah, you could try picasa online, too. Photoshop just for cropping and resizing is like using a sledgehammer to crack open a nut.

GameboyRMH
6/11/08 1:18 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Yeah, you could try picasa online, too. Photoshop just for cropping and resizing is like using a sledgehammer to crack open a nut.

I'd say it's more like picking up a Mercedes SL55 because you need to need to listen to the radio

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/11/08 1:34 p.m.

Also a good analogy. I'm seeing a growing number of design pros (especially web design pros) who are getting sick of what a massive, bloated beast PS has become. A lot of the features (color profiles for example) are nearly useless to me, get in the way a lot, and I have no idea how to shut them off.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/12/08 5:52 a.m.

Now that I've got an avatar no one can see or understand, how do I get rid of it?

I went back to My Profile and there was nothing in the avatar slot.

Dan

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/12/08 7:03 a.m.

Upload a new one.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/12/08 7:33 a.m.

i use gimp and like it...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/12/08 7:39 a.m.