DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/13/12 7:15 a.m.

I was talking with a buddy of mine about the Boxster and I mentioned that it really does nothing for me (even after having driven a few for days at a time), then I mentioned the Caymen. I said the Boxster looks decent, but the Caymen looks GREAT. I realized many moons ago that, generally speaking, if a convertible and hardtop version of the same car are offered I almost always like the hardtop version.
for example:
If I'd have got a 3/4 rear view of the Caymen you'd see one of the best angles of any car out there. What a look.
Then there's the Bavarian brothers

those swolen rear fenders along side the hardtop just looks right
Even the classics

Practicality is nice, but it actually looks better. The e-type is the same way to me.
Now, here's the exception that proves the rule:
The convertible is one of the best looking cars of the 50's, the hardtop looks an afterthought and totally spoils the great lines.

What do you guys/girls think?

rotard
rotard Dork
8/13/12 7:19 a.m.

I generally prefer the looks of a hardtop. I want to own a convertible soon, though; I think it would be fun in a motorcycle sort of way.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/13/12 8:42 a.m.
rotard wrote: I think it would be fun in a motorcycle sort of way.

I refused to wear my seatbelt in the 76 MGB I had for the similar reason. It would be dangerous to be strapped to that machine.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/13/12 8:48 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
rotard wrote: I think it would be fun in a motorcycle sort of way.
I refused to wear my seatbelt in the 76 MGB I had for the similar reason. It would be dangerous to be strapped to that machine.

I think you'd be relatively safe without a seat belt in it; there's too much stuff in the way for it to move very fast or very far.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/13/12 8:59 a.m.

Except I drove it looking over the windshield.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/13/12 9:07 a.m.

Hardtop, no question.

The M Coupe is one of my favorites of all time.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 10:29 a.m.

Hardtop version for sure at least 99% of the time. I can't really think of any car I like the looks of as a convertible better. That's probably why I'm such a big fan of targa tops.

Actually, I might say the 63-67 Corvette. I really love the Roadster, and the boattail Coupe kinda leaves me cold.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/13/12 10:53 a.m.

It depends......

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/13/12 10:59 a.m.

Agree: Boxster vs. Cayman.

Indifferent: M Roadster vs. M Coupe and MGB vs. MGB GT. A S52 M Roaster is on my "potential next car" list. I do like the Coupe, but partly for the pure uniqueness of the car. An MGB GT V8 with modern upgrades would make for an awesome classic DD in areas where rain is more common.

Disagree: E-Type. While I love the coupe, the roadster is just pure sex on wheels.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 11:22 a.m.

I've more or less gotten the convertible thing out of my system, so I generally prefer the tighter chassis of a coupe.

Appearance wise, it really depends on the car. I think Miatas look much better with the hardtop on and I'd rather have an E-Type coupe. I prefer MGBs to MGB-GTs, but I like GT6s better than Spitfires.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/12 11:58 a.m.

Hardtop. That's exactly why it took do long for me to give a Miata a chance.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
8/13/12 12:04 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Disagree: E-Type. While I love the coupe, the roadster is just pure sex on wheels.

One of the best automotive shots of all time is the bare shell of the E-Type coupe that ran in Road and Track fifty-eleven years ago. ISTR it ran again in GRM or CM recently.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
8/13/12 12:08 p.m.
Woody wrote: I've more or less gotten the convertible thing out of my system....

After ownership of at least one convertible continuously from 1977 to 2010, I think I am done too.

It may even be time to change my user name.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
8/13/12 12:14 p.m.

An exception,

I've always thought the m-coupes I've seen looked awkward.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
8/13/12 3:03 p.m.

Depends on teh actual car. THere are a lot of them that I dont' like teh convertible versions of, and there are a lot that I prefer teh convertible versions. I agree on teh Boxster/Cayman, but I prefer my Mustang as a convert (which is why I specifically bought it). Jag XKs are similar. There are a number of cars that were never availbel as convertibles that I'd like to see as converts or have at least drawn up convertible variants.

Oh, and I've had convertibles of one sort or another for over 30 years, and hopefully will always have at least one in the stable. In fact, I'm about to go put the top down and drive home from work... That open top feeling can't be beat on a nice evening.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/13/12 3:13 p.m.

Jaguar XJS. Better as convertible then coupe. IMO

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
8/13/12 3:28 p.m.

I honestly think the early Corvair looks better in convertible. The flatness of the front and rear help a lot.

I find the opposite is true with the late models though.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/13/12 4:01 p.m.

I gotta say I prefer the Murano hardtop to the CrossCabriolet version.

To my eyes though there is no car prettier than a Series I E-Type coupe. The verts are nice and all, but the coupe makes me weak at the knees.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/13/12 5:52 p.m.

Only one way to go!

Rxbalt
Rxbalt New Reader
8/13/12 7:13 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Now how come noone screams at this like the Murano 'vert?

Also, I think this is equally bad.

Cavalier

BAMF
BAMF Reader
8/13/12 8:55 p.m.

I was with the OP on his list until the MGA. Generally, I dig convertibles. The XKE and a couple other cars (Z4 Coupe) along with the OP's list are ones I'd choose in tin top.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/14/12 7:56 a.m.

I like ragtops over tintops generally but won't kick either out of my driveway.

Jensen Healey roadster, top down:

Roadster with factory hardtop:

Jensen GT:

The GT is not what I would call gorgeous, but it's not eye bleeding ugly like the Murano crosstour. I do want one as a bookend for my roadster.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HYd4zgIyQboEm9Cp91gbbLlqHVGpBUcH1dpw2rb2HJZokyebES3P0vpXBOcTLTNd