1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 11:03 a.m.

How many of you are in or have been in this situation?

A family member was given "rights" to an old vehicle by the original owner many years ago. In my case, it's a 2nd cousin and my great-grandfathers old truck. From what I understand it was gifted while my GGF was still alive and it's been in the family barn since.

Now, his wife doesn't want him dragging it home (well, mine either, but she will let me) and hasn't touched it in many years. 5 years ago I offered to buy it, etc and was told No.

Well, now the estate is being sold in a few months and I would really like to keep the truck in the family. A quick email fired off already expressing interest and plans (keep stock appearance and make drivable).

BTW...this is the truck and my son a couple years back. Doesn't it look like a good project for him and his 2 brothers as they grow up?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/14 11:05 a.m.

oh that would be a great project! Don't change a thing, just get it running smoothly, reliably, and legally. A truck that old that looks like that deserves to keep it's patina

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 11:07 a.m.

That's my thoughts. New wood in the bed and try to figure what to do with a cracked engine block.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
8/12/14 11:10 a.m.

Reclaimed wood would look better.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/12/14 11:14 a.m.

It will depend on your family's personal dynamics, but I think a phone call or a face to face visit to discuss the situation would be better than an email.

Was the gifting of the truck just a verbal thing, or do they officially own it and have the title?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/12/14 11:20 a.m.

If the estate is being sold, that usually means an outside vedor is doing the leg work. If the family wants this to be part of that sale, and does not want to sell to you directly, work with the vendor.

It would be great if the family will work with you, and even better to keep the truck in the family.

(just prepare to see it leave... from what I read, families are like that)

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/12/14 12:01 p.m.

I am guessing the easiest thing to do would be to buy it from the estate. Everything else is gonna look like some sort of backdoor deal to rest of family. Most non-car peeps have NO IDEA on the value of classic vehicles.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
8/12/14 12:33 p.m.
Timeormoney wrote: Most non-car peeps have NO IDEA on the value of classic vehicles. And assume that they are worth $$$$$$, when the vast majority are really worth $$$

Fixed that for you.

To the OP, that looks like a nice truck, I hope it gets to stay in the family, one way or another. Let it keep it's patina, its earned it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 1:00 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Reclaimed wood would look better.

Well, off course ;)

Valuewise, I know it isn't worth much. The running boards are rusted out (guess cousin bought some fiberglass ones at one time?)

It was used as a farm truck and it shows it. That's part of why I love the look. Hand crank wipers, 3 speed transmission and a bench seat. It's just a raw truck.

At this time, nothing has been handed to an estate service either. Family agrees that said cousin was given ownership, so not much fighting there.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
8/12/14 1:03 p.m.

It might be easier and cheaper to buy one just like it from some other families estate auction...and let them buy yours.

The only way you are going to get it is to stick yourself between the cousin and his wife- if you are sitting at a kitchen table with the two of them, you will get the truck because she doesn't want it. However, it may be at a cost of your friendship with your cousin.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 1:07 p.m.

Oh, not close with him. Might see him every 5-6 years at family reunions.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/12/14 1:22 p.m.

Where's the conflict?

Does the family not want you to have it?

Is the cousin intending to drag it home and trade in his wife?

Do they think it is worth more that it is, and therefore want it to go to auction?

Are you wanting it for nothing?

I'm missing the part where you guys are having a conflict.

The truck belongs to your cousin. Agreed? Have you asked your cousin recently if he will sell it to you?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 1:48 p.m.

I've asked 3-4 times in the past and it's the "I don't want to give it up yet, I might work on it someday" speech.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/12/14 1:57 p.m.

Ok, so he's trading in the wife...

...any opportunity there?

Sorry. Never mind.

Call him and buy him a beer. Meet face to face. Tell him straight up that you would love to see him do something with it, and encourage him to keep it. Ask him if there is any way you can help him. Tell him you are in full support of him, as long as he keeps it in the family. Mean it.

After the 3rd beer, tell him that if it ever becomes more than he can handle, you would be willing to finish it, give him the first drive, and offer him right of first refusal to buy it back.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/14 3:26 p.m.

and make sure he knows it would be a father-sons project for you and the boys. and hook him up with some of that Old Truck Porter!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/12/14 3:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote: After the 3rd martini, tell him that if he would be kind enough to give you his autograph you would be forever grateful. Place bill of sale under pen.
Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/12/14 4:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: and make sure he knows it would be a father-sons project for you and the boys. and hook him up with some of that Old Truck Porter!

Did you enjoy that one?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/13/14 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

my neighbors loved it! too smoky for me. I really liked the Ale and the Red, but i'm a bit of a Bob Costas.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/13/14 4:08 p.m.

Buy the other guy off with something , cut a deal maybe he is a republican Kelly's Heroes - Maybe He's a Republican

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
8/15/14 12:39 a.m.

Old Truck Porter??!?

I haven't had that one yet! Porter beers are the best

Of course I might be biased, it's my last name.....

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/15/14 6:04 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Old Truck Porter??!? I haven't had that one yet! Porter beers are the best Of course I might be biased, it's my last name.....

Limited production run ;) But, I just bought ingredients for something very similar last night.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
8/19/14 7:35 a.m.

I went through a similar thing with close cousins. My uncle passed and just before that he and I talked about working on his etype.

It sat for 5 years before I noticed that it was rotting in my grandparents' garage. I asked my Aunt and cousins if they would be OK if I got it running for my late Uncle's sake.

Basically after two years of trying to get their blessings and the keys, I gave up and it is probably not a recoverable chassis anymore.

But I am still close with my cousins so I am cool with it.

I second the post regarding meaning it to keep it in the family and not your family. If you really mean it the you and your boys can still share the experience even if you won't ever own it.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/19/14 7:10 p.m.

There's an old thread about my aunt and an MG–TF. That didn't end well for me.

Your best chance likely,will be the estate auction. Otherwise it tends towards family,drama and rage. But, you may get lucky. It does happen once in a while.

My advice, pursue it, but not passionately and not with longing. That way, when it's auctioned or given to the neighbor kid, it won't hurt much.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/14 7:20 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Buy the other guy off with something , cut a deal maybe he is a republican Kelly's Heroes - Maybe He's a Republican

" A Deal-Deal..." Possibly the best movie line ever..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/14 7:23 p.m.

That's one of those movies that, when I'm channel surfing and stumble upon it, I put the remote down and watch it until it's over.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4QS0ROFzmeSleF6QC57uiM7lhpBtS5DUpvQ2pjDsDpPste3kE1BJEvfchtHSWsMo