Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/11/18 8:43 p.m.

When we cleaned out my dad’s house we had an extra workbench nobody wanted (I know, can you believe it?) so I brought it home but I already built the same workbench back in 1990.  

We decided to sell the bottom box piece and make a coffee table out of the top.  It was emotional making this as it was my grandfathers workbench and I’ve missed him a lot.  

What have you made?

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/11/18 9:08 p.m.

That's awesome! And very in style right now.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/11/18 9:08 p.m.

Nothing cool, but that table and story are awesome. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/11/18 9:39 p.m.

Cool table

Great story

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/12/18 9:40 a.m.

Last Christmas, I helped SWMBO pull her ornaments out from the crawl space. Unfortunately, one tub had tipped over and filled with water. Any ornaments that had cloth or paper were moldy, and completely ruined. These were made by her Great Aunt and Grandma. Irreplaceable. She nearly cried. I felt so helpless. I'm a fixer, and there was no way to fix this.

So I made a silent promise, that every Christmas, I would give her an ornament, built or bought.

Her dad was always into air cooled VWs. I found an aqua Karmann Giha convertible matchbox car. I hatched a plan. I would turn it into an ornament for her. I found a package of HO scale sitting figure and modified them to fit in the car, and painted them to look like us. Painted,  detailed it and added a copper wire to hang it. That was we were always going on a trip for Christmas. (Even if it was just around the tree.)

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
8/12/18 10:56 a.m.

Well I've got nothing on these stories, but I made this table/bar/island thing. The tabletop part fit my last apartment, then the countertop and storage part to fit my current space which severely lacked those. This tripled my counter space and is used every day. 

The pine slab came from a tree planted in a town square not too far from my in 1852, so that's neat. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RkWIk07tMLXGOhXJPSiRM9pLgx9oMhechQe6G7LBshldrUTemerq4myJYTurVc6w