1 2
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/19 9:45 a.m.

I rarely host parties, but I'm hosting one tomorrow.  Probably 15 people.  There will be food (firing up the smoker).  Normally I put light a fire in the back yard and set up the projector with some ambient video art and conversation flows with the beer.

But tomorrow it is supposed to rain all day.  I need some fun ideas to entertain people in case we can't do the outside/fire/music thing.

So far my list includes:

Cards against Humanity.  That's all I got.

Crowd will be theater cast and crew; age range 25-50, liberal.  Fortunately most of them are weed smokers, so whatever we do will seem funner than it actually is.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/15/19 10:30 a.m.

Bowl full of ecstasy and a gallon of lube? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/15/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I regret that i can only vote your comment up one.

Wii sports is generally fun for our house parties  as well.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
6/15/19 10:59 a.m.

Probably no use to you with such a short suspense time, but these would be fantastic with a drama group. Roll dice, tell (or act out) a story using the elements on the dice.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/15/19 11:21 a.m.

Make sure it's THAT kind of party: stick your dick in the mashed potatoes.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/19 11:35 a.m.

Is charades a good thing with a theater crowd or is it too much like work? 

Will someone "over-act" the whole thing and try to steal the show?  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/15/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I claim the chicken. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/19 11:47 a.m.

Hide joints around the house. Let them clean up for you while they look for them. 

If you have prep time, replace "joints" with chocolate bars melted to look like cat E36 M3 and confuse/gross them out by eating them. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/15/19 1:04 p.m.

Gorilla suit.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/19 2:13 p.m.

Games are fun. Games that are low stakes and that include everyone are good for parties. We love catchphrase. Split everyone into two teams, sit in a circle every other. The game shows a word, you get your team to say the word without saying it yourself. Then pass the game to the next person (other team). When the timer stops the team with the game handheld loses a point.

I know you can buy it at Target or Walmart, but you can probably just download a smartphone app too.

But if there is food and friends and some space, you will have fun. No need to sweat.

Curtis
6/15/19 3:11 p.m.

I found a Pictionary random phrase generator online.  I might set up an easel with a dry erase board on it in case they want to play.  Maybe play with no teams, just take turns drawing and whoever guesses correctly gets a jello shot?

Charades might be fun for actors.

I thought about Naked Twister, but too many people I don't want to see naked.  Myself included.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/15/19 3:24 p.m.
Curtis said:

I thought about Naked Twister, but too many people I don't want to see naked.  Myself included.

Dangit Curtis!  I came here to suggest Naked Twister.  I get to very last post, by the OP, and ARRRRGGGHHHH.  There it is.

I'm sorry.  I can't help you.

Theater people are good fun.  Have a supply of MAGA hats on hand, and they'll be talking about your party for weeks.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/15/19 3:46 p.m.

Military theme?  Nerf gun target range, hand grenade toss (waterballoons), relay race with field jacket/helmet/backpack/combat boots, driving course w/RC tank, etc.  Last time I did that at a party it was HUGE!  

The "party goers" were 8 year old boys, but still.  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/15/19 3:54 p.m.

Point the projector with he ambient videos directly at the ceiling for light source. Should be fun. 

Having fun inside is easy as long as you arent too attached to your stuff.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/15/19 4:15 p.m.

If you invite the right people they should be able to keep themselves entertained with conversation, food and drink.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/19 4:17 p.m.

Jenga! Seriously.

+1 on Cards against Humanity and Pictionary/Win Lose or Draw, whatever it is called.

At a recent dinner, my uncle simply suggested going around the room, and everyone tell a story.

Curtis
6/15/19 4:49 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Have a supply of MAGA hats on hand, and they'll be talking about your party for weeks.

Haaaa....  Maybe some Bush campaign posters in the front yard?  I found some in the garage when I bought the house.

Curtis
6/15/19 4:51 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

If you invite the right people they should be able to keep themselves entertained with conversation, food and drink.

True.  There is always a cast party, but this is a small cast of 4, plus the director, stage manager, and significant others.  The 6 of us in the production should be having a great time, but I don't know some of the S.O.s.  Of the 15 who plan to attend, I only really know 7.

Curtis
6/15/19 4:52 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Jenga! Seriously.

+1 on Cards against Humanity and Pictionary/Win Lose or Draw, whatever it is called.

At a recent dinner, my uncle simply suggested going around the room, and everyone tell a story.

I like the story idea!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/19 5:50 p.m.

Put everyone in a circle, then get out a bottle and prepare to spin it.  

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/19 6:25 p.m.

Too late for this go-round, but especially for the intersection of theater folks and Cards Against Humanity, I'd recommend the game that eclipsed that one for me: Bards Dispense Profanity.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/15/19 6:44 p.m.

Make up a list of things that could happen at a party and hand out gag gifts for when the first person does the thing on the list.

First to the bathroom? A toilet paper roll party accessory to wear all night.

First to yawn? They get some werthers originals hard candy.

You get the idea. Different versions can be that everyone can see the list or you keep it to yourself. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/15/19 7:50 p.m.

When I worked at the tool store, we used to play a game with the sales guys. Outside sales vs inside.

We'd put a random item on the table that they'd never seen before, something odd and unrecognisable to most folks (lots of stuff came from the parts bins).

They would have to pitch the item. Whoever "sold" it best won.

The amount of B.S. professional sales guys can fling is incredible.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/19 8:46 p.m.

Booz and karaoke. Works at every Pinoy party I go to. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/19 9:19 p.m.

Engine swap.

Or make it a key party

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zxFSqGecLE6wZzARrl45DNrgFdIOOihP3gZ9rSGiYpVpJAfmfANX9QpwOwm9fsj0