1 2 3 4 5
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/09 1:28 a.m.
mtn wrote: My favorite is the girls at college parties drinking the 64 calorie Miller. Its half the alcohol!!! They drink twice as much! Busch Lite for me and my college budget, unless I'm drinking Dads beer. Then its Blue Moon or St. Pauli girl

I grew up on Busch light, I think it's why I don't really like beer much.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/31/09 1:43 a.m.

Any of the popular (read as colored water) beers simply suck. There are a few moderately well known beers that are acceptable, but the Micro Breweries are the only ones worth my time.

Usually I will enjoy a glass of Cabernet or a very dry Martini

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
7/31/09 2:01 a.m.

For me it will always be Smithwick's.

As a little boy, I lived in Kilkenny near the castle in their logo. It's a homeboy brew plus I'm pretty sure we're related to the Smithwicks family.

For a US beer, I always pick Yuengling.

I'm lost at why folks drink any German beers.....especially Heineken. They all smell like cat urine to me.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
7/31/09 7:14 a.m.

Heineken is dutch. I'm sure Germany is offended by that association. I'm not gonna say anyone should drink a Beck's, but thanks to the reinheitsgebot, the germans generally make pretty good beers.

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
7/31/09 8:14 a.m.

+1 for the dutch to blame for Heineken. On the other hand, Heineken Dark isn't too bad. Good German beers to check out:

Hacker-Pschorr Paulaner Fransizkaner Warsteiner Beck's Dark.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/31/09 8:28 a.m.

Don't confuse the Dutch with the Germans. It pisses the Dutch off. Some little thing about the Germans being total shiny happy people a few years back. Most people don't know that the Dutch refused to load Jews on the trains to the gas chambers, and in retaliation the Germans cut off all food shipments to The Netherlands and starved them to death. That's not taught in any history course. You have to know someone that was there. Of course, what was once The Netherlands no longer exists. It's more a memory today, near as I can tell.

I like Dutch beers. I like German beers. I think any beer made by the German law is good. I don't know what they put in U.S. beers like Bud, but after drinking Dutch and German beers, the U.S. ones taste like some chemical additive.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
7/31/09 8:29 a.m.

I like hacker-pschorr alot but I think people confuse "expensive and terrible tasteing" with refined and an aquired taste. I don't alot care for very hoppy beers. I think people use beers in the same way they think only foreign cars are good.

I'm not a big beer drinker either way though, so my opinion is probably not very good.

Joey

dxman92 wrote: +1 for the dutch to blame for Heineken. On the other hand, Heineken Dark isn't too bad. Good German beers to check out: Hacker-Pschorr Paulaner Fransizkaner Warsteiner Beck's Dark.
Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/31/09 8:39 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Any of the popular (read as colored water) beers simply suck. There are a few moderately well known beers that are acceptable, but the Micro Breweries are the only ones worth my time. Usually I will enjoy a glass of Cabernet or a very dry Martini

this post reminds me of the shiny happy people at one winery in fredericksburg where the guys behind the counter were all snooty about texas wines, probably in the same way the californians used to be about french wines i suppose.

i guess i just don't get the "its better than everything else only because its made in small batches and hard to find" logic. there are plenty of decent beers that you don't have to hit every central market at 10am on tuesday to find some still in stock. i'll drink miller lite, sol or pacifico if its hot out, or sometimes newcastle if its not. the "beer snob" attitude is lost on me

Josh
Josh HalfDork
7/31/09 9:01 a.m.
dxman92 wrote: +1 for the dutch to blame for Heineken. On the other hand, Heineken Dark isn't too bad. Good German beers to check out: Hacker-Pschorr Paulaner Fransizkaner Warsteiner Beck's Dark.

I'm partial to Ayinger myself. And I am one of the crazy folks who also enjoy rauchbiers, the smoked lagers from the Bamberg area.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
7/31/09 9:07 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: i'll drink miller lite, sol or pacifico if its hot out, or sometimes newcastle if its not. the "beer snob" attitude is lost on me

If you don't happen to like light colored, light tasting pilsener style lagers, then macro brews in general are not going to do much for you. If I think almost every small local diner makes a better cheeseburger than Mcdonalds, does that make me a snob? :)

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
7/31/09 9:12 a.m.
Josh wrote:
Strizzo wrote: i'll drink miller lite, sol or pacifico if its hot out, or sometimes newcastle if its not. the "beer snob" attitude is lost on me
If you don't happen to like light colored, light tasting pilsener style lagers, then macro brews in general are not going to do much for you. If I think almost every small local diner makes a better cheeseburger than Mcdonalds, does that make me a snob? :)

i'm not comparing miller lite to a dogfish head 120 minute ipa here, i'm saying that there are plenty of great beers, like newcastle, or bass, or sam adams, or whatever that aren't neccesarily microbrews and are just as good. my point was that i don't get the attitude that people have that if a company has more than like 2 employees, the beer is automatically crap

RossD
RossD Reader
7/31/09 9:14 a.m.

Spaten Optimator. We used to drink that stuff by the boot.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
7/31/09 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

I get what you are saying. Stone, Sierra Nevada, and Anchor are all very large breweries, and their beer isnt any less awesome for it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/31/09 9:42 a.m.

I can only remember having 3 mass produced domestics. Miller Chill was decent, almost makes me want to try other miller products. Keystone drinkable back when I was living in a dorm, havent had it in 7 years tho. Bud/ Bud light, simply put, I do not like it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/09 9:47 a.m.

Caguama is my favorite cheap beer. And its got a fun story on the cans/boxes.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/09 9:49 a.m.

Good beer is good beer, it really doesn't matter how big or small the breweries are.

My goal it to try as many different beers as I can, there are few times that I come home from the store with something I have tried before if we are not having people over.

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
7/31/09 10:29 a.m.

I'm partial to Ayinger myself. And I am one of the crazy folks who also enjoy rauchbiers, the smoked lagers from the Bamberg area.

I haven't gotten around to having a rauchbier but I do enjoy a good kellerbier or schwartzbier.

+1 to good beer being good beer. Some of my favorite beers are from Saranac and Dundee. I think Michelob makes some decent beers also..

Some of my favorite beer styles haven't gotten any love in this thread yet. English pale ales and extra strong bitters.. Fullers ESB on draft is heavenly!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
7/31/09 10:29 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Good beer is good beer, it really doesn't matter how big or small the breweries are. My goal it to try as many different beers as I can, there are few times that I come home from the store with something I have tried before if we are not having people over.

I'm going to pull my first QFT. That's the best way to be. Our local party shop has a "mix and match" 6 pack and you can try all sorts of stuff. Most of it I don like, but it's a good way to try something without ending up with 5 bottles of something terrible. I did like Lion stout or whatever it's called. I think the wife thought it was a little weak... She likes some pretty sludgy stuff.

Joey

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
7/31/09 5:42 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Don't confuse the Dutch with the Germans. It pisses the Dutch off. Some little thing about the Germans being total shiny happy people a few years back. Most people don't know that the Dutch refused to load Jews on the trains to the gas chambers, and in retaliation the Germans cut off all food shipments to The Netherlands and starved them to death. That's not taught in any history course. You have to know someone that was there. Of course, what was once The Netherlands no longer exists. It's more a memory today, near as I can tell.

They taught it in my history courses.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
7/31/09 5:48 p.m.

While I don't particularly like Heineken, I don't mind Diet Heineken. It actually seems to taste better.

Smithwicks is pretty good too. I like that and Blue Moon when I'm in the beer drinking mood because they actually taste good when you can't smell (and they're good when my senses come back for short periods).

Oh, and after every EMRA time trials event I always find a Yuengling Black & Tan in their cooler. Yes, they give you free beer during the trophy presentations. That might have become my favorite beer.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
7/31/09 6:26 p.m.
Josh wrote: Heineken is dutch.....

OK, Dutch cat urine, then.

wbjones
wbjones New Reader
7/31/09 7:38 p.m.

I've been told I don't drink "beer" since I drink Miller Lite...

I also like Dos Equis

there also was a Dutch beer many yrs ago.... SKÖL damn it was good

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
7/31/09 8:11 p.m.

I don't even drink beer

<--- works at a brewery

Ok, I do drink beer from time to time. Like now. And earlier with dinner. And earlier than that after work.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
7/31/09 8:36 p.m.

So when is Troegs going to expand distribution up into new england? I havent actually tried any of your stuff yet.

procker
procker New Reader
7/31/09 10:37 p.m.

Truth be told... my brother, CarKid1989 only drinks Smirnoff ice and stuff like Zima...Mike's Hard Stuff too...lol...

...although I am not proud of that, I must say that his selection trumps Coors and Coors Lite...ugh

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nWMYhVys53zyqMdEKj3299XSQEyRgdZqCzj4EoC80zwN88eC0gwHUgABHFyj6f4o