1 2 3 4 5
2002acr
2002acr New Reader
7/31/09 11:05 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: For a US beer, I always pick Yuengling.

IMHO the best mass produced beer out there... Somebody also mentioned the Black and Tan, I like that also. Yuengling Light is surprisingly good too.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/2/09 2:11 a.m.

"Cold" is not a flavor.

"Taste the Rockies" is the equivalent of saying, "Go drink some rocks."

Re: Budweiser. You know what the most "drinkable" substance is? Water. Which does taste better than mountains.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
8/2/09 6:49 a.m.

Abita - a small southern microbrewery that made it semi big. The first time I had it I was in New Orleans in 2001 or so, and it was available at all the local restaurants. Now you can find it in some of the broader selection type food markets, but not at the big chain Grocers (Kroger etc here in Cinci). Its quite simply delicious.

When I was in college at University of Cincinnati, Pabst was available most weekends at most bars around UC for 1.00 pints. Fabulous!

PBR = Promotes Better Racing

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/2/09 3:36 p.m.

If you are ever in Canada, try the following:

Creemore Springs Lager Steamwhistle Pilsner Mill Street Organic Lager Big Rock Grasshopper Ale MacAuslan Oatmeal Stout (maybe the best stout in the world)

A few to enjoy, as a start.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/2/09 4:30 p.m.
ZOOMiata wrote: If you are ever in Canada, try the following: Creemore Springs Lager Steamwhistle Pilsner Mill Street Organic Lager Big Rock Grasshopper Ale MacAuslan Oatmeal Stout (maybe the best stout in the world) A few to enjoy, as a start.

Sorry, but the Rouge Shakespeare Stout is the best stout.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
8/2/09 4:37 p.m.

It is quite delicious.

I'll drink cheap beer if I'm offered one, but I'm pretty hesitant about PBR. Something about it just makes it taste... off.

I had a delicious IPA from Rocky Mountain Brewery last night. I'm so glad I finally developed the taste for pale ales; they are quite refreshing.

My favorite liquor store ordered a case of Le Merle at my request, so I picked up a bottle (750 mL) last night. If only I had someone in town who appreciated beer...

wbjones
wbjones New Reader
8/2/09 5:37 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: When I was in college at University of Cincinnati, Pabst was available most weekends at most bars around UC for 1.00 pints. Fabulous! PBR = Promotes Better Racing

when I lived in Gainesville back in the dark ages (1981) Pabst had a "cheep" brand named "red white and blue" ..... $1 / six pack.... as broke as I was guess what I learned to "love"...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/2/09 6:21 p.m.

Anybody remember "Hop'n' Gator" ?

Or "Billy Beer"?

Man, that was some dismal crap.

2002acr
2002acr New Reader
8/2/09 7:44 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: Anybody remember "Hop'n' Gator" ? Or "Billy Beer"? Man, that was some dismal crap.

Yes! How about Malt Duck?

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
8/3/09 8:17 a.m.

My uncle always talks about Hop'n' Gator. Didn't it have somewhat of a lemony flavor?

How about Meisterbrau? I've seen commercials from the 80s for it on Youtube..

RossD
RossD Reader
8/3/09 1:59 p.m.
wbjones wrote: when I lived in Gainsville, Fl back in the dark ages (1981) Pabst had a "cheep" brand named "red white and blue" ..... $1 / six pack.... as broke as I was guess what I learned to "love"...

I was told that there were three different levels of Pabst. I cant remember the what the third one was called but one of my friends dad told me that they would make three different batches and the best tasting one would be the PBR and so on down to the lesser tasty ones. (Thats what he said.)

On a different note, since Pabst was bought up by Miller, they transfered their brewing over to Miller production facilities and now most people think it tastes better. The recipe hasnt changed though.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/3/09 2:13 p.m.

Since Pabst had a brewery in South Georgia, it has always been cheap around here, and in North Florida.

Didn't make it any better, though. I remember the R,W&B; it was about as good as Billy Beer, which damn sure isn't saying much...

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
8/3/09 2:50 p.m.

Billy Beer was undrinkable. It was sold mostly as a novelty, and most people I knew at the time couldn't gag down an entire can. Believe me, we were not beer snobs by any means.

Ortliebs (Joe's Beer) was $4 a case, and we drank a bunch of it. At the Italian Gardens Restaurant, Old Milwaukee was 25 cents for two short drafts or $1.25 a pitcher. I drank enough of that to fill a swimming pool. There were others as well - but I've blocked most of that from memory.

Generic beer, which was pretty bad, was better than Billy!

Anyone else remember when Ballentine made an IPA?

No love for Genessee or Rolling Rock?

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
8/3/09 2:55 p.m.

I drank plenty of Genny back in college.

Genny Lite Genny Ice Genny Cream Ale 12 Horse Honey Brown

Drank plenty of Rolling Rock as well. Have a 12 pak in my fridge right now, actually

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/4/09 9:51 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I also like Dos Equis

Nobody has better commercials! "He can speak French... in Russian." The beer isn't bad either.

After my grandfather died, we were going through some of the things in the house and we found a can of Harley Davidson beer on a shelf that had been there, well, probably longer than I have been alive. It was unopened. God, I wonder what it tastes like? I hope nobody threw it away!

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/4/09 9:53 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Re: Budweiser. You know what the most "drinkable" substance is? Water. Which does taste better than mountains.

Oh yeah! The "Drinkability" ad campaign! "The key to our beer can be summed up in one word: Drinkability." Another way of saying: "Our beer is just about good enough that you can actually stand to put it in your mouth and swallow it. But it's not much better than that."

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/09 10:01 p.m.

Semi off-topic: The California Beer Festival will be in Ventura this year in September. I'm stoked. (and already bought my ticket)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/09 10:25 p.m.

It all tastes like crap to me. I've got friends that drink the stuff by the barrel. Not me. Vodka please, with a splash of Orange Juice. Thanks.

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
8/5/09 1:39 a.m.

Any love for hard cider 'round these parts? I brew my own and have a batch ready to be bottled.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/09 7:05 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
ZOOMiata wrote: If you are ever in Canada, try the following: Creemore Springs Lager Steamwhistle Pilsner Mill Street Organic Lager Big Rock Grasshopper Ale MacAuslan Oatmeal Stout (maybe the best stout in the world) A few to enjoy, as a start.
Sorry, but the Rouge Shakespeare Stout is the best stout.

Maybe you should send me a bottle, and I'll send you a bottle of Macauslan, and then we'll see . . .

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/5/09 12:42 p.m.

Ohhh?...a local beer exchanger service...?????...ohhhh....

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/5/09 1:35 p.m.
dxman92 wrote: Any love for hard cider 'round these parts? I brew my own and have a batch ready to be bottled.

Hard cider is frequently good stuff. I prefer my cider more on the dry side. I'm not a big fan of the really sweet stuff. I still prefer beer, but cider is fun too.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/5/09 1:37 p.m.
RossD wrote: Ohhh?...a local beer exchanger service...?????...ohhhh....

I'm throwing a beer sampling part next Saturday. The idea is, everyone brings a pack (or equivalent in bottles or growler) of their favorite beer or something they've heard good things about, and everyone gets to sample a bit of everything to try new and interesting beers.

It'll be a great party for me, since I won't have to worry about there being enough refreshments.

Anyone who will be in Sacramento on Aug 15 is invited to join. Just PM me for directions.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
8/29/09 6:32 p.m.
Josh wrote: Btw, when I drink that Stone RIS, I will let it get up to around 50-55 and drink it from a goblet that will warm from my hand. Crappy lagers are meant to be served ice cold, but beers like that generally get better as they warm up.

Zombie Thread!

So I finally cracked this bottle. This stuff is ridiculous. Going with Stone, I was expecting hoppy, but this is very rich, thick, and sweet, almost syrupy. Sort of a baby World Wide Stout, but vastly more drinkable. I can't say if this is my favorite stout (it is going to be hard to unseat Allagash Black), but I will definitely be going for this again, if I can find any. If I ever need to get full-on blackout drunk, a couple bombers of this seems like it would be an enjoyable way to get there :).

Also, Twin Cam, I was able to find a Troegs Pale Ale down in Mass a couple weeks ago, good stuff! Hopefully I can find more of the brews closer to here, all I saw in MA was the Pale, but it's not like I was hunting every store for it.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
8/30/09 1:23 a.m.

What stout? I can't read the bottle.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LzF6zrufjJm3IYJgMrXa5E84Wucsy4275K9Z9hiKmrvCAvc6WAyIC33vEpULPwA8