1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 7:28 a.m.

It's a $5k option.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/01/owner-built-engine-program-corvette-z06-returns/

If I was very rich and had too much time on my hands somehow, I might go for it, but otherwise, no. I'm happy to have an engine built by professionals or smart-looking robots.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 7:40 a.m.

I'd do that just for a plaque with my name on it under the hood of my Z06. This is assuming I have the money and the time and the supermodel wife and hair...

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
1/8/15 8:48 a.m.

I don't understand GM or Corvette owners in general. Who in their right mind spend thousands on junk (stickers, doing GM's job of moving the car from the factory, etc)? I'm offended that I have to pay YOU a grand to get my car from the factory.

Meanwhile in BMW land you can do European delivery which basically amounts to the discount subsidizing your European vacation. Hmmm Munich or Kentucky....decisions....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/8/15 9:02 a.m.

In reply to atm92484:

And then you get to ship it to the states? It seems to be a little silly to pay that kind of money to assemble you own engine, but instead of complaining, marvel the program exists at all.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/8/15 9:20 a.m.

So..

Gm has managed to get Corvette buyers to do some of the work themselves AND charges MORE for it?

Either GM is smarter than I give them credit for or 'vette buyers are dumber.

GameboyRMH
1/8/15 9:21 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: So.. Gm has managed to get Corvette buyers to do some of the work themselves AND charges MORE for it? Either GM is smarter than I give them credit for or 'vette buyers are dumber.

Porsche better watch their asses!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/15 9:32 a.m.

If I had the means, I'd do it.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/15 9:34 a.m.

I think its a cool program.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/8/15 9:35 a.m.

I'd do it if I had A LOT of money. I think it would be a great experience to build an engine like that, in a facility like that, as opposed to my shop floor! Plus I still have the warranty, so if I mess it up no problem. I'd also like a program where you can walk your car down the line and watch it being built.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/8/15 9:37 a.m.

Yeah I don't get the hate. I love this idea.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
1/8/15 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Nope - shipping is worked in already (at least it was when my friend got his M3). BMW has to put it on a boat no matter what if its a US car. If you get the Corvette in Bowling Green you're driving it home (after paying a grand) and its not on GM's dime.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/8/15 10:07 a.m.
atm92484 wrote: In reply to Appleseed: Nope - shipping is worked in already (at least it was when my friend got his M3). BMW has to put it on a boat no matter what if its a US car. If you get the Corvette in Bowling Green you're driving it home (after paying a grand) and its not on GM's dime.

There are some perks that come with the Bowling Green delivery. It's not just a "there's your car in the parking lot go get it" type thing. If I bought a new vette I'd do it, but I'm only 1.5 hours from there.

I would have loved to pick my new BMW up at the factory, and would have paid extra, unfortunately they no longer have that program available for their motorcycles. I looked into it when I bought my new k1300s, but wasn't an option for bikes anymore.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
1/8/15 10:12 a.m.

Okay, I just read up on this and there is also a Corvette buyers tour that DOES let you follow your car down the line. That's awesome! Now I want to buy a new vette.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 10:23 a.m.

We picked up a VW at the factory. One of the savings that you don't see immediately is that it's a used car when it arrives in North America, so your tax/duty load is lower.

Anyhow, the Corvette thing. If money were no object, I'd definitely do it.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/8/15 10:36 a.m.

How cool, I'd do it.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/8/15 11:22 a.m.

I'd do it if I were the new car buying type...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/8/15 11:24 a.m.

Let's see, I have always wanted a Corvette and now I get to have a hand in its original assembly? Yeah, that's cool.

GameboyRMH
1/8/15 11:26 a.m.

If it was cheaper or the same price it would be much more compelling to me...but this Porsche-like pricing turns me way, way off. You'd think they could subsidize the trouble of helping a newb build an engine in return for the advertising advantages.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
1/8/15 11:38 a.m.

I'd do it, no question.

As for cost, it sounds like some of you assume that you're doing GM's job by doing some of the assembly. There is no question to me that it's more time and more difficult for GM works to have to hold someones hand as they work machines they've never even seen before. If I ran GM, I'd charge for it too to make up for the fact that Joe Corvette Owner is slowing down my build team processes.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
1/8/15 11:44 a.m.

What I think you guys are missing is 'helping' them assemble the engine certainly isn't speeding up the process, nor would it reduce labor costs..

Probably don't cost them 5K either... But I imagine there is a lot of lawyers and warranty nonsense included... FWIW.

Around here... (or something like this)

$65.00 per hour

$75.00 per hour if you watch

$85.00 per hour if you ask questions

$100.00 per hour if you help

$125.00 per hour if you say "it's an easy job"

$135.00 per hour if you complain

$150.00 per hour if you did the job, then called us to fix it

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/8/15 11:52 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: So.. Gm has managed to get Corvette buyers to do some of the work themselves AND charges MORE for it? Either GM is smarter than I give them credit for or 'vette buyers are dumber.

Considering that I'm sure it ties up the same engine builder that would take 2 hours to put your engine together for about 2 days to babysit you through it, then probably go back and do it again after you go away feeling proud, you're damn right they should charge extra for it.

Not to mention the cost of inconvenient logistics for pulling the car off the normal line, putting together the special shop to do it in (because GM's insurance company is not going to let civilians out on the main floor for more than a limited tour), the rest of the hospitality package, etc. etc. etc. all have to get amortized over the limited number of folks who will want to do this.

It's no surprise to me it's a $5,000 option.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/8/15 12:07 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Yeah I don't get the hate. I love this idea.

Agree... When I'm old and retired with more money than sense.. I'd do it. I also want to do a european delivery program with BMW/Volvo one day.

Why the hate?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/8/15 12:13 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Why the hate?

Because Internetz!!!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/8/15 12:20 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Why the hate?
Because Internetz!!!

You WIN!!!!!!!!!

Please insert a cat picture here.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/15 12:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Let's see, I have always wanted a Corvette and now I get to have a hand in its original assembly? Yeah, that's cool.

x2. my problem is i have one already and the only hand in it that i have so far is mostly destructive

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EwuWiBvRHZjw0yEihNQ3gPrsUroEs07EJkcd23yVGER38KOCIiOxP9GSi3McGEr3