1 2
Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/19 10:08 p.m.

I live in (at least what was, who knows now) the home County for Costa del Mar.

I've had two pairs. Both of them had a lens fall out from the frame within the first few weeks of ownership. Both times, I had to pay about $60 to get them fixed.

I'll admit, when it comes to bad service or products, I hold a grudge. I'm surprised I let them get me twice. I'm on my second pair of Maui Jim's now, and I'm happy. No Costas, ever again.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/7/19 8:03 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

Still buying the same shaded safety glasses from my autoparts store after twenty years. When they become scratched they are replaced and go to the shop to be used for eye protection. 

But I'm married. No-one cares how cool my glasses are anymore.

It’s not about “looking cool” for me. Hell, personally I feel like they’re the dorky eyewear equivalent of crocs and 4-door jeeps.

I needed a GOOD pair of sunglasses for racing in the blinding afternoon/evening sun at Road Atlanta/AMP. Came here for a recommendation, and Costas got high marks. What sealed the deal was a fishing trip in Tampa where my brother let me try his vs. the *cheap* polarized shades I was wearing. Night & day difference. I also have a hard time seeing driving in the rain, and for whatever reason, I can see better in the rain with the blue lenses vs. no sunglasses.

Again, just my $.02, YMMV.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/7/19 8:30 a.m.

The 1 thing costa does real well is their polarized glass lenses. They are about 50$ lenses in .50 cent frames and sell for 250-300. 

And when i sent mine in previously like doc said, i think it was 50$ up front and i had to pay for shipping, and im minutes down the road. I didnt mind so much as I was then just selling the warrantied pair. But really i doubt they care, the 50$ charge they got up front to fix their failing frames was FAR FAR more than they could possibly have in 1 pair of glasses. And their “cost” to retailers is half of the fixed regular price.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/7/19 8:35 a.m.
It’s not about “looking cool” for me. Hell, personally I feel like they’re the dorky eyewear equivalent of crocs and 4-door jeeps.

This was a reason for me to quit wearing em. Still own costas and maui’s. Just feel too much like a goon. I see way too many wearing them trying to look like they fish for whatever reason. Guess its cool? And with a young kid, glasses get snatched and dropped too often for me wear expensive shades. 

poopshovel again
8/7/19 8:54 a.m.

In reply to TJL :

Yes. Shame on them for being in the business of making money. cheeky

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
8/7/19 9:07 a.m.

Zenni prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses are under $35 depending on frame, and @$10 with just dark tint.  At those prices I just order half a dozen pairs every time I get my eye exam and leave them sprinkled around my vehicles and luggage so there's always a pair at hand. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/19 9:18 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

Zenni prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses are under $35 depending on frame, and @$10 with just dark tint.  At those prices I just order half a dozen pairs every time I get my eye exam and leave them sprinkled around my vehicles and luggage so there's always a pair at hand. 

I've had mixed luck with Zenni. 4 glasses ordered, 1 is right, 2 were so wrong they were sent back. 1 is "ok". As a backup. Only one of those was a pair of sunglasses though, the other 3 were glasses glasses.

If you spend significant time in the sun - like I did as a kid caddying - cheap sunglasses will not cut it. Now I have them for fishing. But I'm still a sunglasses snob, even though I don't like the way I look in them, it is a huge improvement for my quality of life. Wonderful for driving in overcast and rain as well.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/7/19 12:30 p.m.

As MTN said luxotica esentially owns all the frame and lens manufacturers or ARE the manufacturer. On top of that, they also own pretty well all of the  SELLERS of glasses and sunglasses AND they are the largest insurers of vision, through at least two companies.

How in the world did that get approved?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/19 12:48 p.m.
mtn said:
oldopelguy said:

I've had mixed luck with Zenni. 4 glasses ordered, 1 is right, 2 were so wrong they were sent back. 1 is "ok". As a backup. Only one of those was a pair of sunglasses though, the other 3 were glasses glasses.

My family and I are 7-1 with Zenni. My daughter's first pair of glasses from them had to be sent back because they weren't right, but the rest have been perfect. For me, they are perfect since I wear contacts 75% of the time anyhow, so I'm not wearing glasses all day every day, but I still need something with an up-to-date prescription. My wonderful insurance will cover contacts or glasses, but not both. When the glasses cost $50, that hurts a lot less.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/19 2:57 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to TJL :

Yes. Shame on them for being in the business of making money. cheeky

I've been a business owner, so I understand. I don't think that's the point. Just don't make me feel like I got ripped off.

Don't tell me something has a life time warranty, then charge me far more than your cost to honor said warranty. And yeah, I had to pay an inflated price for  (very) local shipping, too.

CharlesPaige
CharlesPaige None
8/15/20 4:47 a.m.

Yes, when you get ripped of like that it is not nice. Only ones that I was really satisfied were Oakleys.

poopshovel again
8/15/20 2:29 p.m.

They are especially useful for spotting fish from your CANOE!!!

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/15/20 6:34 p.m.

Before you get polarized lenses be aware that they make some head-up displays hard to see unless you look at them sideways.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/16/20 12:02 p.m.

I'll chime in, a year late or not. 
I always just bought cheapies from a gas station or whatever, then a coworker made me a deal on a set of oakleys that he decided were out of fashion. $40 to see what the hype was. Instant convert. When those got stolen I found a replacement set on clearance for $60 and was happy. Then they went to the bottom of fish lake (Uber deep volcanic lake in ut, look it up) and I couldnt bring myself to spend $200 since all my good deals ran out. Then I snobbishly went "the good stuff or nothing" and didn't have any sunglasses for years. Until this spring, I bought a set of $25 polarized things at the skate shop. They're green and have blinders and built in chums. Dad says they make me look like a sleestak. They keep things dark. 

Id be interested in a good set, but not interested in spending the money. Maybe someday. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/10/22 2:15 p.m.

Canoe

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SeZn9YGIvu3DvWgptphrRYyYROXMbVcmt6dEGR0rZJF8fqL0JxsnQuE8lazXzdhk