1 2 3 4 ... 7
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/20/20 3:18 p.m.

I miss hand shakes. I still do but way less frequently. I miss movies. 
Other than that it hasn't really effected my life much. 

I'm not very good at eye contact. It's something I try to put effort into, but it's difficult for me and I don't know why. But I have gotten way better at it with all the masks. It's nice. People's personalities are in their eyes. 

If someone wants to shake my hand, I'll shake hands. If they don't, I'm ok with that and won't think any differently about them. Fist/elbow bumps, polite nods, salutes, "hey berk you, pal", greet me how you will. 

Hobiercr's zoom meetings have been great for me. Getting to meet folks, see their faces, hear their voices, that is huge. So not all the changes are bed, and some are really good. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/20 3:19 p.m.

I think a lot of this depends on who you were before. Some of us were more outgoing, preferred to be out and about and doing thing with and around others. We thrive on other people's energy and I yearn for food I didn't cook. And travel. God we love to travel. 

But there are others who hated being in public, don't like interactions with others that much and prefer to stay home. This isn't an issue for them and they look at people like me and cannot for the life of them understand what the issue is for us. "It's no big deal" are words I've been ready to fight over this year. For "you", sure. not for others. People this year seem to have completely dropped the facade of empathy and understanding for a more intolerant "this is the way it has to be get over it" attitude. That's not been healthy or helpful for anyone. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/20 3:21 p.m.

This has changed how we interact.  I appreciate the GRM Zoom calls that never would have happened without this.  I don't need to be in physical proximity - I can fill my sense of human interaction with the audio and video of other dorks.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/20/20 3:29 p.m.

I hate crowds so it has given me a built in excuse not to go to places.   I do miss going to restaurants.  Takeout only right now.  I have tiny hands and people love to try to crush them.  I don't miss shaking hands at all.  What's up with people that won't turn loose of your hand?  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 3:36 p.m.

We never got to have a funeral for my father. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 4:08 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm sorry, Paul. 

We still haven't baptized our daughter. We wanted a big shindig. Our first daughter, Angela, was baptized by me about 7 minutes before she went into a surgery we weren't sure she was going to make it out of. We never got the church baptism with Angela. We really wanted it with Elise. But now Elise's grandparents are immunosupprosed and/or going on chemo, not to mention the other comorbidities. Her Godmother is under strict doctors orders to be basically under complete lockdown. Her Godfather lives thousands of miles away, and nobody is comfortable with him coming this far during a viral pandemic for his nieces' baptism knowing full well that the first niece he was Godfather to was killed by a virus.

Now we have to decide. Do we baptize her, with just grandparents and 1 priest and everyone involved in a mask? No Godparents? Or do we wait until she's about 1.5 years old, to hopefully get the celebration we wanted?

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/20 4:26 p.m.

Last year, I spent 46% of business hours teaching Engineering Statistics.  Although I'm way down this year, I've got to say that it's still really difficult.

Tiny class sizes to maintain social distancing means far less material coming from my participants for me to grab onto for discussion.

I'm masked...they're masked...constant what, what?

My presentation material can be pretty complicated at times yet I have to rely on memory as my glasses are constantly fogged up.

I usually suck down two 54 oz bladder busters of diet cherry coke to maintain energy and prevent my mouth from drying out so that's ~72 mask removals ((54*2)/1.5ish).

Outside of work, I miss buffett's the most...Soup Plantation (salad bar) and Golden Panda (sushi bar) were my two favorite restaurants and sadly, I doubt they'll ever reopen.

Also, my eldest daughter will be turning 16 on Halloween day.  This should be an epic day for her and yet, she isn't even interested in putting out our inflatables or setting up her Halloween village let alone doing something special with her friends.  She's totally shut down and just wants the day to pass...you only get one shot at your sixteenth birthday and it's going to be a big miss. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
10/20/20 4:46 p.m.

I've realized how much of my "hearing" was actually lip reading.  

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 4:52 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm a screaming extrovert most of the time.

^^ The best kind of extrovert, because all of the attention goes to them and lets people like me fade into the background, where we like to be. I can't say that things have stayed exactly the same for us, but it hasn't impacted us as much as it has some of the extroverts I know.

I love wearing the mask. Love it. When I put on a ball cap and sunglasses and have my mask up, I feel better able to blend. 

I love that everybody's supposed to stay the hell away from me.

Our kids (middle school and high school) are suffering in school and craving social interaction. It's been very hard on them. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 4:56 p.m.

I'm sorry, that must suck.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 5:00 p.m.

That sucks incredibly much. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 5:02 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

If you're a strong enough believer in baptism then get it done now and have the celebration later.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
10/20/20 5:45 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

That sucks incredibly much. 

Yep. It does. 

His ashes are sitting on my workbench. It breaks my heart. 

No one shared his WWII stories. No one bragged on how many thousands of kids he taught music to. No one shared what a wonderful dad and granddad he was. 

I can honestly say I haven't changed much. I still shake hands, I just offer hand sanitizer sanitizer afterward.

I have no issues with a hug. I got one today from a friend I hadn't seen in a while. If they aren't worried, I'm not either.

The only thing that has really changed is the amount of online shopping I do now compared to before COVID. Before I would hit the store if I needed something. Now, with the mask requirements most retailers have, I just order it online and have it delivered the next day.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 6:02 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

You should still hold one when it's safe to do so.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
10/20/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I'm gonna have a memorial service in the Spring. Whether it's safe or not. 

...even if I'm the only one who comes. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 6:26 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

the worst part of this collective trauma we're going through is the inability to grieve together.  My best childhood friend's mom died of covid alone at home in late march, they found her a couple days later, and I couldn't even be there for her.  They're planning something after everything is over, but who knows when that is and I couldn't be there when she needed it most.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
10/20/20 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Exactly

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/20/20 6:34 p.m.

I have certainly appreciated my immediate family more than ever. We spend all of our time together. That has been great. 
I miss my extended family because I haven't seen them due to this. I had my Goddather and one of my best friends die on consecutive days in April and I couldn't go to either funeral...

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/20/20 7:10 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

If you're a strong enough believer in baptism then get it done now and have the celebration later.

We're probably doing that. It is just hard for my wife - she doesn't want much in life. She really wanted this. If it were me, I'd have done it myself long ago. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 7:19 p.m.

In one of my psychology classes in grad school, the professor said that most people look at another person's mouth when they're speaking.

If someone is looking at your eyes when you're speaking, it either means that they want to fight you, or that they're going to have sex with you.

Once I learned this, I became more aware of where my eyes were going when I was having a conversation with a girl. I didn't want to seem too aggressive, or frighten them off.

But with everyone wearing masks, you no longer have the option of looking at a girl's mouth when she's speaking. I've become very self conscious of this.

So now, I just stare at her tits.

Everybody wins.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/20 7:28 p.m.

Yup. No one got to go to our wedding. 

No one got to come meet my son when he was born.  Hell, most of the family only knows him through photos.  2 dimensional Madz is not the same as 3D Madz. That's rough.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/20/20 7:39 p.m.

Most of the stuff in this thread I have no strong feelings about, but I empathize with those who do (or try to anyway).

I'm not a huge fan of Zoom, but the WFH thing is interesting and could lead to better opportunities down the road.

The biggest thing that is driving me a bit mad is uncertainty.  I want to sell my house, I want to switch vehicles, I want to plan for a few more things, but its difficult to do when you have no idea what's coming.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/20 7:49 p.m.

I seem to do the "mask walk" more than others.  That phenomenon where you get out of your vehicle and head toward the store, then realize you forgot your mask.

I had to miss my Uncle's funeral, but they live-streamed it.  I'm not a huge funeral person anyway.  I can effectively say goodbye from anywhere.  He's not in that body anymore anyway, and even after the doctors said he had 3 years, he gave us 11, so I won't complain that his timing was poor.  Tough old bird.

I find myself to be very adaptable.  I can pretty seamlessly go from one reality to another without too much trouble, so I've just kind of been chill about the whole thing.  I was a farm boy and then directly moved to live in East L.A. for 6 years and thought it was grand, so suddenly wearing a piece of paper on my face is small potatoes.  I do find myself cherishing my close friends and family more now because I'm a hugger, a social person, and a reader of people.  Masks make it hard to read people, I can't hug random strangers like I used to, and I can't just go hang out in social places like I used to.  Not to mention, my favorite social place to hang out closed permanently because of the pandemic.  Grrrr.

Yesterday my bestie knew I was busy getting ready to head to FL, but she called me at 6am and said, "let's go to Wellsboro and hike the PA grand canyon."  So, we drove 3 hours in the rain, hiked for a couple hours in the rain, and drove 3 hours home in the rain.  She just knew it would be good for me to do something social, get some hugs, and not micro-manage my own time.  She's awesome.

I do know a lot of people who are beginning to get a bit scarred.  The bestie (mentioned above) is pretty triggered by the masks.  She knows she has to wear them, but hates it to the point where she's seeing a therapist about it.  We know she had an abusive father who finally got kicked out when she was 5, so we're wondering if there was some trauma related to why she has trouble with masks.  I also know a lot of people who are struggling with money.  My sister and BIL both were employed with a combination of part time work and self-employment.  Sister was a private tutor and elderly caregiver through the church, and my BIL did music for a church and did a lot of gigs around the area.  They neither one qualified for unemployment, and 7 months later their PUEC gig-worker application hasn't even been acknowledged.  No one answers the phone, not one email returned, even their Senator can't get anything moving.  So they lost all work and have zero pennies coming in and two sons - one in college.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/20 8:06 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

the worst part of this collective trauma we're going through is the inability to grieve together.

One of my favorite authors said something along the lines of "shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased"

I'm sure that's one of the reasons everyone is so messed up right now.  Everything has had to stay internal, you don't get to share anything with anyone, not really

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mgwv91mqlbl4owiZX7HjIkVd3IRLXBHd46Jr5DUsF9PqCvWDHP7PBZZYT4kThKeA