skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/5/08 9:22 a.m.

I've got this Bronco II I bought from a friend of mine ($100, he needed the money) when he abandoned it at my place. I thought it only needed brakes, but it also had cracked heads. The dilemma is that I don't want to spend $500+ dollars on repairing this thing when I could buy a nice runner for around $400. But I also don't really want a B2 enough to buy another one. Really, I don't want a crappy B2 at all but since I've got one I'd like it to run.

The other issue is that this thing is ugly. It'd be a fun learn-to-do-bodywork project, but I really don't want it in my driveway. So it sits behind the office with flat tires, where it's been for the last 2 years.

I really just need some other car people to tell me it's OK to junk it.

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
6/5/08 9:33 a.m.

It is ok to junk it. its a Bronco2, which was crap when it was new, and this one sounds like it has no redeeming qualities left. With current scrap prices, you'll likely double your original investment!

Stuc
Stuc Reader
6/5/08 9:38 a.m.

Yea man, save yourself the headache.

I'd def put it on CL for a few days, but worst comes to worst you might be able to get your $100 back the way scrap prices are

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/08 11:20 a.m.

Yep, put some air in the tires, scrub the worst of the crap off of it, vacuum the interior out, wash the windows and engine bay and take some decent pictures and put it on CL. With good pictures you'll have a better honey pot to get yourself a buyer. Just make sure you price it higher than scrap metal prices.

Otherwise I'm sure the local scrap yard will give you a few bucks for the steel.

Or you could donate it to a local charity and get a little tax write-off for next year.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/5/08 1:14 p.m.

Well, the interior is gone minus the dash and seats (it was really, REALLY gross except for the seats), the heads are off the engine, and it's got a pretty nice dent and lots of surface rust. Getting $50 for it from CL isn't really worth the trip to the DMV to transfer the title.

Think I could get $200 for it from a scrap yard?

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/5/08 2:26 p.m.

Pull the cat out and sell it to a catalyst recycler. That should net you $100-$150 right there. You should be able to sell the rest to a scrapyard for another $100-$150.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/08 6:14 p.m.

pull the cat and scrap it seperately

then around here i'm getting 12 cents/lb for cars if i take them in. that thing has to be 3,000# right?

$360 right there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cc4AtiBfngfxmUuNk4aYiA3HqfwMxYITTBVMIx6SyULtIBgjKHPg2G48pt3ewhql