ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/6/13 1:27 p.m.

The garage is getting it's rough electrical inspection tomorrow. I've told myself again and again that I can't expect to have gotten it all right, and that getting sent back to do a couple of things over is what I should expect, and I can re-do a fair bit and still have it much cheaper than farming it out.

That said, it would be awesome to get it signed off and be able to call in the rough framing inspection and then start drywalling...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/13 3:17 p.m.

I have heard that drywalling is a pain in the ass, especially overhead. Good luck with the inspection!

bikerbenz
bikerbenz New Reader
5/6/13 4:36 p.m.

I am an electrician in real life. The inspectors really don't look closely if things are done neatly and in the regular manner. The only real problem is that they are the law and can get you for anything.

Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
5/6/13 4:42 p.m.

I don't I ow how true this is but I have heard of people screwing up one obvious thing on purpose so the inspector can catch it , and feel like they are doing a good job. And like previously noted I think they feel a lot better abou it when it looks like you took your time and did a neat professional job.

ransom
5/6/13 4:49 p.m.
bikerbenz wrote: I am an electrician in real life. The inspectors really don't look closely if things are done neatly and in the regular manner. The only real problem is that they are the law and can get you for anything. Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

I'm hopeful about this, both because I've been quite careful and tidy in what I have done, and because although I'd love to just have them sign off, I know exactly what to do if they don't like something: Say "thanks for pointing that out" and then fix it.

Though I'd love to be done, I really am grateful for the service; I've done a lot of research, but the codes aren't out there in any easy 1-2-3-guide-to-wiring format, so at some level I view the inspection as a bonus service that came with the permitting. "We'll come check your work!"

ransom
5/6/13 4:54 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I don't I ow how true this is but I have heard of people screwing up one obvious thing on purpose so the inspector can catch it , and feel like they are doing a good job.

Ah, the hairy arm...

ransom
5/9/13 12:31 p.m.

Didn't get a pass, but got a short and reasonable list of things to fix. I've scheduled another attempt next Tuesday.

• One 240 receptacle has its romex sheath removed just outside the box, which is a no-no. (It's a plastic box, and the available holes wouldn't fit both 6 ga wires and the ground, so I split outside; will switch to a metal box like the other one with a romex clamp.)
  • I have four switches in one box, and I need to tie all their grounds together.
  • I actually do have to run the conduit along the back and side walls. I thought since these were on the cinder block and wouldn't be drywalled over that I could leave them for the final inspection, but all the covers-off wiring is supposed to be inspected now.

Should be no problem getting it all tidied up this weekend, assuming this weekend doesn't end up spontaneously full of crap like last weekend did...

Also somehow need to figure out how to make the entire perimeter inspectable; We haven't gotten far enough in the project for "a place for everything", so everything's all over the place...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/9/13 9:46 p.m.
ransom wrote: Though I'd love to be done, I really am grateful for the service; I've done a **lot** of research, but the codes aren't out there in any easy 1-2-3-guide-to-wiring format, so at some level I view the inspection as a bonus service that came with the permitting. "We'll come check your work!"

That is an awesome attitude!

ransom
5/10/13 1:45 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Thanks! It just seemed like the best way to view it. There are things that are probably really good enough with enough research, but then there are code items that are never going to be exactly right by deduction, and then there are genuine safety items that are nonintuitive. So I really am getting something out of it.

My only frustration right this second is a certain degree of bureaucracy and voicemail abandonment... My girlfriend was kind enough to go into the permitting office to try to get the straight dope on what inspections are required at this point. Inspectors for specific items keep giving conflicting opinions, probably based on not understanding the scope of the project, or maybe just because the electrical inspector isn't necessarily 100% on top of what structural inspections are required for walling in an existing carport attached to an existing garage... The front desk was helpful and gave us a list, but they weren't 100% certain and gave us the head inspector's number. No call back since Wednesday, so just left him another message.

That got long-winded in a hurry... Still, feeling pretty good about my odds of being able to switch from wiring to drywall, and then from drywall to Ranchero quarter panels in the near-ish future.

ransom
5/21/13 11:35 p.m.

The good news: Rough/Cover Electrical inspection passed!

The bad news: I tried to call in my Rough Framing inspection (the only one remaining before insulation and drywall) and the system decided my permit was expired. Given the amount of activity in the last two weeks on this permit, it seems incorrect that it should have timed out, unless they don't count activity until you get an approval, and today's approval just didn't get into the system in time to keep it from processing an expiration...

Anyhow, presumably tomorrow will see that resolved and I'll get the rough framing inspection done. I've already had an inspector look at it and say it looked good to him, but I'd scheduled him for the wrong inspection, so he couldn't sign me off...

But keep those fingers crossed...

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
5/22/13 6:35 a.m.

Most inspectors are cool. Most are or were regular working stiffs like the rest of us. Occasionally you will run into a jerk and sometimes a whole town of jerks. Last year in our annual retraining classes, 3 hours was spent on how to deal with the jerks and where to report them. The state doesn't want them around any more than we do. If you do nice neat work that you are proud of, then the inspectors are a good thing to have around. They separate the professionals and conscientious home owners from the hacks.

ransom
5/22/13 9:11 a.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

Seems to be true. I've had some bureaucracy issues (and more confusion than anybody being unhelpful), and the inspectors have all been cool. The guy who was here yesterday spent some time chatting with me about the Ranchero and his early Bronco (which was very pretty by the pics on his phone).

ransom
5/22/13 5:28 p.m.

Permit expiration rectified; yesterday's wiring approval and the permit time-out basically crossed paths in the night. We're good on expiration 'til some time in November, which I sorely hope will not become relevant

Rough framing inspection scheduled for tomorrow... With that approved, I can insulate and drywall...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/22/13 5:52 p.m.

I did a shed at my old house. Called for an inspection and they said the permit had expired so it never got inspected. That was 20 years ago.

Good luck dealing with them. Some of them are pretty decent. Some of them are worthless shiny happy people with Napoleon complexes. We have one locally that will sign off on just about anything for two lemon Dunkin donuts and a cup of coffee.

ransom
5/23/13 10:16 a.m.

Approvals done in preparation for installation of all my electrical fixtures, insulation, and drywall!

I'll need inspections to complete the permit and get it all signed off, but there are no more part-way inspections; the next time I call one in, the garage will be effectively done!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/23/13 10:39 a.m.

I ran across something many years ago: I added a branch circuit in the garage of my house that was being built and ran larger wire than the norm, it was 12-2 rather than 14-2. That's because I was using a 20 amp breaker and 20 amp outlets. Typical branch circuit is 15 amp breaker and outlets with 14-2 wiring.

Ths shiny happy person inspector said it didn't meet code so it had to come out. I looked him in the eye and said 'so doing it BETTER than code is not allowed?'. He sort of mooned around and mumbled, said 'but it is not to code' and I repeated my question. He finally signed off. Dumbass.

ransom
5/23/13 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Oh man... I am so glad I haven't had to deal with anything like that. The only gripes anybody had with my work seemed pretty legitimate; certainly didn't get dinged for doing 20 amp circuits. The only 14 gauge wire is in some of my lighting; everything else is 12 except the 6 gauge for the 50 amp 240V receptacles.

I was a bit bummed that after purchasing and mostly installing a crap ton of 20 amp receptacles, they pointed out that they all needed to be Tamper Resistant; back to the store for another 20-pack of receptacles... But I don't think that was optional, so I don't blame the inspector; just wish I'd stumbled into that factoid while I was buying supplies the first time...

ransom
6/9/13 7:58 p.m.

I can weld!

Okay, actually, there's no room for a car, there aren't any lights, and I still need to finish putting down the 3/4" ply attic "floor".

But I had fifteen minutes between other household stuff, and I just finished the panel end of my two 240V receptacles, so I could in theory plug my welder in and stick metal together if I needed to! Indoors, for the first time in my welding life! Up 'til now, all my welding has been in a driveway, with an extension cord to the dryer outlet...

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
6/10/13 9:17 a.m.

Edit: I posted before I read the whole thread, my bad...

Hey, me too!

That's the best description I've heard of an inspector!

My few cents- be straight forward with him and don't argue with him to tick him off, that will just make him look for more issues.

It's his job to find things that aren't done right.

You'll be fine!

bikerbenz wrote: I am an electrician in real life. The inspectors really don't look closely if things are done neatly and in the regular manner. The only real problem is that they are the law and can get you for anything. Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Kcw5E64A4qv9qCSvIrTv79QKPdRty1qesnAUDP7rPgjiCLBjB7Neqlcn4nxmcVb