1 2
Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
9/1/09 10:54 a.m.

You should be able to find a 2006 - 2009 Ford Fusion 4 cyl. with a 5 speed for quite a bit under 10k. In its automatic guise I have put over 40,000 miles on these cars and have been impressed. You will see roughly 30mpg (at 75-80mph) on the highway and 25mpg or so around town.

It has the same 2.3 liter you would find in the Mazda 3 and you can find them cheaper. You do lose the hatchback functionality though. If it still has the Continentals on it lose them quick. I was much happier with my Falkens.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
9/1/09 3:35 p.m.

Keep driving the Accord, I see no reason to buy a newer nice car just to drive into the ground.

Oh and E30 parts are cheap, labor might be a different story especially since you'd be in for TB/water pump every 18 months.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
9/1/09 5:59 p.m.
paul wrote: so the premium gas price adds up to $350+ each year...

Forgive me while I beat this dead horse into hamburger, but you're willing to drop $11k on a new-to-you car, but you can't afford to spend an extra $7/week on gas?

I guess I'm missing something here.

paul
paul New Reader
9/1/09 6:16 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
paul wrote: so the premium gas price adds up to $350+ each year...
Forgive me while I beat this dead horse into hamburger, but you're willing to drop $11k on a new-to-you car, but you can't afford to spend an extra $7/week on gas? I guess I'm missing something here.

The little extra money each week isn't too big a deal, but filling up with premium just to 'waste' it by commuting in stop & go traffic and/or setting the cruise control would constantly grate on my mind...

jharbert
jharbert GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/1/09 6:56 p.m.

I love my 2000 Protege ES. Runs on 87 octane with no issues at all. I put MP3 springs and Illumina struts on it late last year, with BFG G-Force Sport tires on stock wheels. The ride is a little harsh around town, but it handles like a dream. With a sane throttle I'll get 26ish around town, 31+ on the highway.

My only nits are that aftermarket support is a tad better with the 2001+ models, and I still occasionally with I'd gotten a Protege 5 instead, but the split fold down rear seat gives it a lot of utility. I have no problem hauling a decent load of lumber.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KphRtTqVCBMU7X6xRVIlHjX6Oi8poMGq9H8t7azxTdUV2it3QCTSLowBUqqavWwi