1 2 3 4
Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 5:04 p.m.

A loud noise woke me up around 4AM this morning, so I went out and saw the burb a little worse for wear. I had JUST bought a Warn brush guard and winch for it this past Saturday. I'm waiting on the insurance adjuster to call, but I imagine they'll say it's totaled and offer me crap for it. It doesn't look terrible in the pictures, but both 1/4s are buckled and of course the smashed roof. I really loved this thing so if anyone knows where a cherry 89-91, 4x4, two tone blue suburban is let me know. The other car in the pic is my 72 LTD. It got it in the rear bumper a little, but not enough to worry about covering the $500 deductible.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/4/14 5:10 p.m.

damn man, hope you find another one just as nice as that one.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/4/14 5:16 p.m.

Time for this?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/4/14 5:22 p.m.

Hammer time?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/4/14 5:23 p.m.

Yes, your own retro interpretation on the Avalanche.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
3/4/14 5:28 p.m.

^^ First thing I thought as well lol. Make it into a badass truck thing

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/4/14 5:36 p.m.

I wonder if the fiberglass shell off a Blazer would fit.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/4/14 5:37 p.m.

Awww Mannn, that sucks

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
3/4/14 5:54 p.m.

that's why I hate trees

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/14 6:11 p.m.

Dang! I third the "chop the roof off" suggestion!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
3/4/14 6:45 p.m.

Crew cab pickup cab?

Standard pickup cab plus truck sleeper?

4x4 LTD?

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke New Reader
3/4/14 6:48 p.m.

Less roof = less weight = more fast

That seriously sucks though..

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/4/14 7:02 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I wonder if the fiberglass shell off a Blazer would fit.

needs a little work...but... https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/02/08/warn_employee_rig_kalanis_blazurban.shtml

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 7:09 p.m.

I have a spare side glass, so I could just kick the roof up, shape the window channel back up and roll with it like that. The more I look at it the more I like the idea of taking the saw zall to it though. I mean the seams where the roof meets the quarter and where the quarter meets the floor are seperated anyway, so why not start hacking and see if I can make something cool. I like the idea of the blazer roof, and see those in pull apart all the time, so that's an option. Also, what about a small slide in truck camper that's open to the cab. That could be cool. My wife and I have camped in this thing in the past, but the extra room would be nice.

Lots of options here.....I'm anxious for the insurance guy to come, so I can get that part over with and finalize plans for this thing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/4/14 7:16 p.m.

I had branches fall both in front of and behind my truck today. berkeley ice. Can you graft the roof channel and stuff from a Blazer on? Or just the back of a truck cab?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
3/4/14 7:32 p.m.

Sorry to hear about it. Yes, it's definitely a total loss from an insurance perspective. Make sure your company knows you want to retain the salvage. I'd bet you'll get it for a good price, they don't bring much at a salvage auction.

Sawzall + Suburban with smashed rear = cool creation.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 7:51 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I had branches fall both in front of and behind my truck today. berkeley ice. Can you graft the roof channel and stuff from a Blazer on? Or just the back of a truck cab?

I have a cucv k5 so went out to take a look at how the top mounts. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to cut the section the top mounts to from a junkyard blazer and weld it to the hacked burb. This is kind of what I'm leading towards now. It wouldnt cost much to get the parts needed from the junkyard, so I could give it a shot and if it doesn't work out no big deal. I would just need to be a little more diligent about "measuring twice/cutting once" as opposed to my usual "start cutting until it kind of fits".....

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
3/4/14 7:59 p.m.

needs Vista Cruiser style roof

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/4/14 8:00 p.m.

The answers are out there!
Blazurban

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=19164.0

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/14 8:03 p.m.

^That's sweet.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 8:05 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Sorry to hear about it. Yes, it's definitely a total loss from an insurance perspective. Make sure your company knows you want to retain the salvage. I'd bet you'll get it for a good price, they don't bring much at a salvage auction. Sawzall + Suburban with smashed rear = cool creation.

Any idea what most insurance companies go by for value? Another reason I want to buy it back is because I'm afraid the offer will be real low, so at least I won't lose my ass on what all I've put into it if I keep the parts. It was in great shape before this, so hopefully that'll help me.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 8:06 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Damn those are sweet!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/4/14 8:13 p.m.

Then, for the ultimate, add a Chalet onto the back!

Maybe a soft top for summer months:

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/4/14 8:23 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

The Chalet was what I was thinking for the slide in camper I mentioned earlier. I have a GMC Casa Grande and don't want to hack it up, but I know where a blazer chalet camper shell is I can probably get cheap/free. I think that would be killer. Glad I bought that airbag setup though because if I throw a camper shell in the back of this thing I'm going to need them!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/4/14 8:31 p.m.

You could then have a larger Grande Casa.
The Grande Casa Grande.
Or, Casa Grande, Grande

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5BaFm3Y4Q6CGpBeMQR34Ws1sUtt5Tmf0acotBmfIV6H1KBdzk4SsFZonU7swaEhE