Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/27/08 5:41 p.m.

I'm ambarassed he lives in my state. Fortunately, it's on the other end.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/21812819.html

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Police say a man who was drinking with friends and playing with a handgun accidentally shot himself in the face in Spokane.

Police say when someone expressed concern about the gun early Thursday the man attempted to prove it was unloaded by pointing it at his face and pulling the trigger.

The 42-year-old Spokane man is in critical condition.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/27/08 6:12 p.m.

At least he didn't point it at the person who showed concern.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/27/08 6:58 p.m.

How many rules of gun safety did he violate? Let's list them. I'll start:

1. Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix.
Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/27/08 7:27 p.m.
  1. Treat every gun as though it were loaded.

Next?

Edit: I put a 2 in front of that, and the board changes it to a 1

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/27/08 10:02 p.m.

3- Do not point a gun at something that you are not prepared to destroy.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/27/08 10:31 p.m.

4- Finger off the trigger till you're ready to shoot.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/27/08 10:34 p.m.

5- Don't point a berkeleying gun at your face, unless you want to kill your self, and if then, clean up the mess afterwards

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/27/08 11:33 p.m.

guns have high velocity projectiles.

high velocity projectiles hurt

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/28/08 9:48 a.m.

I'll add:

6- First thing when picking up any weapon, open the action and look in the chamber to assess its loaded condition.

Yeah, he berkeleyed up a lot of safe firearm handling rules. While I think that what is passed as Darwinism today is BS (see old post in the archive), I think that Darwinism does provide a fine tuning of the entire life system by eliminating (not propagating) bad gene combinations, and this would be a perfect example of that. So, he should have an award.

I was almost expecting a "Hey, Watch This."

Duke
Duke Dork
6/28/08 1:33 p.m.

7 - don't touch a gun if you're too stupid to live.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/28/08 2:28 p.m.

8 - Just because your sister dosen't love you "that" way... dosen't mean you have to shoot yourself in the face.. your double wide isn't that cramped and those Martha Stewart collection lawn chairs you have in your living might be considered shaby chic.. so cheer up butter cup.

seann
seann New Reader
6/29/08 1:24 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: How many rules of gun safety did he violate? Let's list them. I'll start: 1. Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix.

All of them

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/08 3:07 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: 1. Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix.

Yeah, it always gives your whiskey a metallic taste. I prefer ginger ale. Plus you always get a funny look when you walk into a bar and ask for a "vodka and single action revolver"

Its also odd that this story showed up right after a very similar thing happened to my friend in Bellingham, WA. She called me late one night and told me her boyfriend had gotten drunk and had his gun out at a party and she was very scared. I know the gun got fired, but I wasn't sure if anyone was hit. I'll have to find out more details.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/29/08 8:57 p.m.

Is it bad that I laughed at this guy? He's half-dead in a hospital somewhere and I'm laughing my arse off at him...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/08 8:17 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Is it bad that I laughed at this guy? He's half-dead in a hospital somewhere and I'm laughing my arse off at him...

No it's okay

There should be a minimum IQ for a gun license - it would be a win-win. Gun nuts get less bad press and everybody else suffers less cases of unsolicited life-ending. Of course there would be less Darwin-on-idiot action, but there are always chainsaws for that (for some reason people like to stop them with their crotch).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/30/08 9:26 a.m.

The French are working at it too (as a people): http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hHw7sKKMAWDJ-lx8jFSTOorb9mEQ

French probe military display that leaves 17 injured 15 hours ago CARCASSONNE, France (AFP) — French officials were probing Monday an incident that left 17 people injured, including a child in critical condition, when soldiers used live rounds in a weekend visitors day display. Fifteen civilians, including five children, and two soldiers were injured on Sunday when members of a marines parachute regiment demonstrated a hostage liberation exercise to visitors at their barracks outside the southwestern city of Carcassonne, regional officials said. Four of the 17 were seriously injured, two critically, but doctors said early Monday that the condition of the worst injured had stabilised. Hospitals in the southern cities and towns of Toulouse, Narbonne, Montpellier and Perpignan, as well as Carcassonne, were treating the injured. One soldier, described as experienced with no history of behavioral or psychological problems, was detained following the incident. Military and civilian investigators immediately opened probes into the events at the Third Marine Parachute Regiment barracks. France's Defence Minister Herve Morin traveled to Carcassonne on Sunday evening to visit the injured. "I have ordered an immediate inquiry ... to determine as quickly as possible the circumstances of this tragic incident," he said. "One way or another something went wrong .... This type of incident is very rare and incomprehensible. There are procedures in place to prevent this kind of thing," he told journalists. The minister said security measures were respected and that the soldier who fired the live rounds had an exemplary record. "Security regulations were respected a priori ... use of blanks requires a distance of at least 10 metres (31 feet) from the public and the public was more than 10 metres away," said Morin. "According to initial findings of the inquiry, the incident involved a soldier with a perfect record, who had participated in operations and had seven to eight years of experience. There is nothing that would make one think he had behavioral or psychological problems," he added. The senior official for the Aude region where Carcassonne is located, Bernard Lemaire, said that investigators believed the deadly ammunition was loaded by mistake. "The question being asked is 'Did the soldier engage in a criminal act or not?'," Lemaire said. "For now, no one can answer that, but the theory being worked on is one of error." French President Nicolas Sarkozy was due to visit the injured in the hospitals in Carcassonne and Toulouse, his office said. Sarkozy said he "shares with the families the pain caused by this tragedy. My first thoughts are with the victims. Everything will be put in place to care for them." A doctor from Carcassonne's rescue service said that condition of the injured appeared to be improving. "According to our colleagues at the hospitals, it seems that the condition of the injured is mostly improving. The condition of patients injured the most seriously have stabilised, including that of a three-year-old child very seriously injured, who seems to be improving," said Gilles Hulard. The most critically injured was a man with wounds to his chest, he said. Hulard said the injured received first aid within three to four minutes of the shooting. The Third Marine Parachute Regiment based outside of Carcassone numbers some 1,200 troops.

Apparently one soldier didn't know his gun was loaded with real bullets instead of blanks, and this demonstration involved the soldiers pointing their weapons at people standing around and shooting. Of course, this could easily be explained as the French soldiers (non-FFL) probably have never seen a real bullet in their entire military careers so when handed real bullets couldn't tell the difference.

slefain
slefain Dork
6/30/08 9:41 a.m.

I'd like to nominate this guy for the award:

"Police say 17-year-old Asia LeeShawn Ferguson IV of Columbia, S.C., died when he was hit by the Batman roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia on Saturday. The teen had climbed over two fences to enter a restricted area."

Climbed not one, but TWO 6-foot high fences, marked with signs. Parental lawsuit for wrongful death in 3........2........1...............

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/30/08 10:42 a.m.
slefain wrote: I'd like to nominate this guy for the award: "Police say 17-year-old Asia LeeShawn Ferguson IV of Columbia, S.C., died when he was hit by the Batman roller coaster at Six Flags Over Georgia on Saturday. The teen had climbed over two fences to enter a restricted area." Climbed not one, but TWO 6-foot high fences, marked with signs. Parental lawsuit for wrongful death in 3........2........1...............

Taken with a grain of salt, i heard on the radio the kid died trying to grab someone's shoe from the Batman rollercoaster....

Hurf durf.

Anyways, apparently he was decapitated?

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/30/08 6:34 p.m.

O.K., how do we let Darwinism come back and run it's course with out putting inocent(inteligent) bystandedrs at risk.

We can always bring back lawn darts and distribute them to te trailer parks

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 6:37 p.m.

HEY NOW i LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK... Oh... I see your point.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/1/08 8:49 a.m.
with out putting inocent(inteligent) bystandedrs at risk. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 8:56 a.m.
John Brown wrote: HEY NOW i LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK... Oh... I see your point.

We prefer "Manufactured Housing Enviornment"

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/1/08 9:36 a.m.
John Brown wrote: HEY NOW i LIVE IN A TRAILER PARK... Oh... I see your point.

Be careful. It's a well known fact that tornados are created in trailer parks, which is why they are always the first and worst hit.

Jack

Type Q
Type Q Reader
7/1/08 6:01 p.m.

I always wondered why the Tornados went through Mason and seemed to leave Lansing alone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ixNqa08L5lnO7SblPZM6n3kskfqC6G7dCILNvj3pSUDob3m0Y3go5qXjaJpHilIo