That's an excellent suggestion.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/22 1:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
SV reX said:
Duke said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Good!  Architects should know how to build stuff, not just tell other folks how they should build stuff.

AMEN!!

While I agree, I'm not sure that building balsa wood models will necessarily give the real-world experience you're hoping for...

In the woodworking pic she is using quite the radial arm saw, and there are angled cutoffs of 2x4 lumber in the foreground.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
11/28/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

More of a wood butcher ...

I got involved with a Scout "Gang Show" when my 12yo daughter (she's 32 now) decided it might be fun to go on stage. She did two shows, I hung around as they were/are good people. Biennial shows, next year will be #10 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/28/22 1:23 p.m.

Late to the party so my applogies if its been mentioned but the answer - and the only answer - is Milwaukee M12 Fuel.  

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200960932_200960932?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power%20Tools%20%3E%20Cordless%20Power%20Tool%20Kits&utm_campaign=Milwaukee&utm_content=113965&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1ZGcBhCoARIsAGQ0kkqeorvNAlv3ENZmJJ1udB-YdIXjFIG5QCSWCBRJXJybFm4pF1gQJFwaAlqnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buy once cry once.  Tell her these tools cost real money and don't lose/loan them.  Someone who wants to be handy will appreciate good tools both now and in the future.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/22 2:55 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to RichardNZ :

Theatre for set construction? Another theatre production person! 

Me TOOOOOO!

I went all Ridgid for the warranty (which seems to have dissolved) but I've been very happy.

If she's drilling balsa for architectural models, I don't think she needs anything big.  I mean, we're talking... what 1/4" or 1/2" balsa tops?  That stuff drills like styrofoam almost.  A corded drill will break your wrist if it snags something... not that she would have that problem, but I'm thinking you don't need nearly the torque of a full-on 3/8" corded drill.  That would be like hammering a finish nail with a 30-lb sledge.

Give us an idea of fastening methods.  Are we talking 1/2" balsa with pegs, glue, and finish nails?  Even if it's 1-1/2 balsa, the torque required to drive a 3" screw into it could be met with a pretty small drill/driver.

Shawanajepson
Shawanajepson New Reader
12/8/22 9:17 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

See if Walmart has the Hart drill on sale this weekend  , battery powered , 

good quality and no one will steal it , 

or a cheap Harbor Freight one !

Thanks, I got this one and it worked for two weeks. By the way for college I use several sources that make my life easier, these would be https://edusson.com/write-essays-for-money because apart from some physical work, we have to do a lot of writing (I really don't understand why), that's why I decided to write my essay for money; it really helped me a lot because parallel to my studies I work and this takes up a lot of my time which is not enough.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/22 9:42 a.m.

H-F 12V drill.  $20.  18V is overkill for the application and often needlessly heavy.

12V Cordless 3/8 in. Drill/Driver Kit (harborfreight.com)

I use a DeWalt 12V drill and impact set for 99% of my drilling and screw/blot/nut driving needs. Light weight and compact = easier to use overhead and in tight spaces.  Less chances of over-tightening something. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/22 1:22 p.m.

Home Depot has this driver/drill combo for only $140

Home Depot: 20-Volt MAX Cordless Drill/Impact Combo Kit (2-Tool) with (2) 20-Volt 1.3Ah Batteries, Charger & Bag

Also get her a drill bit kit and a screw bit kit along with 1/4" hex drive to 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" socket attachments kit.

Dewalt $30: Black and Gold Drill Bit Set (21-Piece)

Dewalt $25: MAX IMPACT Screwdriving Set (30-Piece)

Husky $7: 1/4 in. Drive Impact Driver Socket Adapter Set (6-Piece) 

I am buying all of this for my daughter for her combination Christmas and Birthday gift even though I swore I would never combine those two together for a December birthday kid after growing up as one and just getting one crummy combo gift all of my life.

I bought her a drill a few years back that I will take back so that I have a drill at our cabin so I don't have to haul every tool I own every weekend just to hang a picture frame or drill a hole.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/8/22 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Great ideas.

Thanks everyone - the picture is from a desk cover / bed the class has them design and build.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ug8f27sZ67X1di6tjF6aUr8uQAba4yatL1cA3lbKmepb258gwQuyT2UObMpLBTYr