DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/17/19 8:31 a.m.

Here’s my ‘in for a little work, tried to upsell more’ story, from the other side of the wrench.  I was a tech at a Jeep/Eagle (I’m OLD!) dealer. I was the technician and sort of the service advisor in this story because the service advisor that wrote up this car couldn’t sell a free glass of water in the Sahara. Anyway, I had a customer with an Eagle Talon come in with a rough-running condition. Upon inspection I told her that her cam cover gasket needs to be replaced because the spark plug wells had oil in them. The cam cover and spark plugs would be covered under her powertrain warranty. She was happy. I also told her that she should consider getting the timing belt done as it is a regular maintenance item and she was within a few thousand miles of that recommendation. If we did it now she would save some of the labor and parts costs because the cam cover was already coming off.

Good lord did she rain down on me with every insult; racial, gender, and otherwise. She said she was going to call the Fox 2 Problem Solvers on my cracker-a$$ because I was trying to rob her. I tried to tell her that I’m not saying her belt IS broken, but it’s a maintenance item and it will break. That maintenance in spelled out in her owner’s manual. Broken timing belts were a regular thing for us because people like to defer maintenance. Anyway, she finally stopped cussing at my honkey a$$ long enough for me to slip away and fix her car.

Fast forward a few months. I get yet another work order for a DOHC Talon that says ‘crank, no start’. Sure enough, the engine spins over, no compression happening, and some odd noises. I check the service history and by golly, it’s her car. I pull the timing cover back and see that the belt is broken.

I take great pleasure in informing her that her timing belt broke due to lack of maintenance and that she would need a long block. Instead of about $300 or less for the timing belt before, she had a roughly $4,000 tab. These are on my desk to remind me that sometimes, justice is served.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/17/19 9:04 a.m.

LOL.  That's beautiful, man!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/17/19 9:16 a.m.

Wow.  did she pay up second time around or did she go ape on you again for 'causing' the problem to spite her?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/17/19 9:32 a.m.

You are lucky she didn't accuse your honky ass of sabotaging her car. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/17/19 10:57 a.m.

So was it the same owner, or just the same car, different owner?

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/17/19 11:11 a.m.

My brother worked as a mechanic at a Jeep/Eagle dealer ship back in the day of Eagle Talon timing belts breaking within a few miles of the recommended change recommendation.   He had LOTS of variations of this story to tell.    He once had a guy curse  him out for suggesting the belt be changed.  

Dude hopped into his car, spun the tires going out the parking lot, and snapped the timing belt right there.    Good Times...

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/17/19 11:13 a.m.

I expected her (same car, same owner) to accuse me of sabotage, but surprisingly she didn't. She wouldn't even look me in the eye. It was AWESOME! And yes, we did the work and she paid with two credit cards IIRC.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/17/19 11:28 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Dude hopped into his car, spun the tires going out the parking lot, and snapped the timing belt right there.    Good Times...

That would make my day.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/19 12:18 p.m.

As a young man I was also guilty of having a car I could afford to purchase but not perform proper maintenance on. Wisdom comes late for some, myself included.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/17/19 7:40 p.m.
jharry3 said:

My brother worked as a mechanic at a Jeep/Eagle dealer ship back in the day of Eagle Talon timing belts breaking within a few miles of the recommended change recommendation.   He had LOTS of variations of this story to tell.    He once had a guy curse  him out for suggesting the belt be changed.  

That is AWESOME!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A8xVK2qRc3TpnRtg3J3jiq7HuGeTkaEkGpfXKLSBGHpwQ36PZxUyd2IIsOZLUGcE