1 2 3 4
oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/31/10 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Lesley:

Nothing ugly in that pic at all, except for the negative camber on that truck behind the King Air.

And those yellow brake calipers, too....

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
10/31/10 10:34 p.m.

I was told that was a Queen Air? One thing that really, really bothered one of my colleagues, to the point that he mentioned it at least 3 times... was the carpet on the car's doors. He figgered that at +$200,000 cdn, the only carpet should be on the floor.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/31/10 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Lesley:

Queen Air would be right if it has rectangular windows. A second glance at the pic suggests it does. Must have been distracted at the first glance.

As for the carpet, I dunno. The practical peasant in me says it's OK, but for the money self-cleaning, non-scuff carbon panels are appropriate - or give me a handmaiden.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
10/31/10 11:18 p.m.

Porsches are amazing cars, even for the money. I have driven a lot of "super" cars and have only driven one which handles better than my 2004 Boxster, and that was a 2010 Boxster.Here is a video of me taking a stock 911 Turbo to the production car lap record at the local track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE0Yec7ZCNg

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/10 7:33 a.m.

911's have had carpet on the lower doors for a long time. My '87 has it, and its the softest carpet I've ever seen. No complaints here.

But seriously, if you're in a 911 and you are focusing on the lower door panels, perhaps you need to reevaluate your life.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/10 5:56 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: How about this, go find me a set of standard main bearings for a 924 Turbo...

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Kits.html

$125 and they are the same as the regular 924.

How about you pull your head out of your job a little and realize that there is more to life than what is in front of you.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/1/10 6:01 p.m.
turboswede wrote: How about you pull your head out of your job a little and realize that there is more to life than what is in front of you.

What exactly is that supposed to mean.

I never said they were impossible to find, I just said they were hard. Am I NOT allowed to not like Porsche. Do I jump down anyone's throat that doesn't like Supras? Of course not, its just cars dude. People asked me to explain why I didn't like Porsche, I did, and now I am being chastised because of my opinion.

I didn't think this type stuff would hit me from the GRM forums...

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/1/10 7:10 p.m.

I think you're totally allowed to not like Porsche.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/1/10 8:10 p.m.

yeah, it leaves more of them for you to drive!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/10 8:28 p.m.

Dude, it sounded like you were letting your work get in the way of finding something enjoyable about a Porsche. I don't like 911's all that much either, mostly because I find their irrational clinging to old engineering a bit silly, but then I don't go around saying it and stomping my feet about it, because I know its not a popular thing amongst car folk. I just reply that I prefer my 924 more, etc.

Sorry if you thought I was being a bit "down on your gullet" there, just trying to show you that all is not crap from ze Germans and sometimes one must lift their eyes up to see what is around them.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/1/10 8:30 p.m.

I've been sitting on airplanes a lot for the past 2 weeks and so I've read every car magazine there is on the market. Not surprisingly they've all had articles on Porsches and to a mag they've all said they perform well, but that they lack the certain pizzaz that other new supercars have. One even said they have the best Ho Hum factor out there.

If you've seen one Porsche you've seen 'em all is the basic tenant they preached.

I like carpet on the doors, it's much more practical and easy to take care of. I hate scratching the plastic or carbon fiber at the bottom of the door with my feet.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/1/10 8:46 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Dude, it sounded like you were letting your work get in the way of finding something enjoyable about a Porsche. I don't like 911's all that much either, mostly because I find their irrational clinging to old engineering a bit silly, but then I don't go around saying it and stomping my feet about it, because I know its not a popular thing amongst car folk. I just reply that I prefer my 924 more, etc. Sorry if you thought I was being a bit "down on your gullet" there, just trying to show you that all is not crap from ze Germans and sometimes one must lift their eyes up to see what is around them.

Maybe I am letting my work get to me, but if you did what I do, it would get to you too.

Honestly though, after having driven everything from 914's, and 944's to various 996 Carreras and Boxsters, there isn't one single redeeming factor that makes me want a Porsche over any other car out there. I hate the idea of Rear engined cars, but 930s still get my heart pumping because of the feel that they provide. I can't see getting a Boxster over an MR Spyder or a Miata, and I just plain do not like 914s.

If there is one thing to be said, I am glad that my whining has made this thread into something that is entertaining to read. Otherwise it may have died after about 3 posts.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/1/10 9:50 p.m.

Well, it's like love ain't it? What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same thing. Personally, I was just blown away by this particular Porsche. I drove it back to back with the SLS AMG, and 5.2 R8, and I just clicked with it (although I must say, I'd willingly trade body parts for the Audi).

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
11/2/10 12:32 a.m.

King Air is a T tail. Easy spot.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/2/10 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Platinum90:

I think it's perfectly okay that you don't like Porsche's. As Lesley said, it's a bit like love. Different strokes, yadda yadda. I like Porsche's a lot, and have ever since I began to think about driving, but I'm not about to waste my internet breath trying to persuade you to see their virtues.

I happen to hate Subaru's. I think they are quirky, ergonomically challenged, and ugly as sin. But curiously, no one disagrees with me!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
11/2/10 8:31 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: King Air is a T tail. Easy spot.

Newer versions - Yes, the B200 series

Older versions - NO, the original 90 and 100 series

The design was modified over the years....

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/2/10 8:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In reply to Platinum90: I think it's perfectly okay that you don't like Porsche's. As Lesley said, it's a bit like love. Different strokes, yadda yadda. I like Porsche's a lot, and have ever since I began to think about driving, but I'm not about to waste my internet breath trying to persuade you to see their virtues. I happen to hate Subaru's. I think they are quirky, ergonomically challenged, and ugly as sin. But curiously, no one disagrees with me!

Oh I disagree-and if you'd get your head out of your you would see how wrong you are.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
11/2/10 9:24 a.m.

I like everything. Perhaps something is wrong with me. I gravitate towards Porsches and BMWs. But I really love Japanese sports cars too. I've always kind of wanted something American with a V8. I'd love to have a Ferrari one day, maybe a Lotus too. I've always wanted a TVR 280 and an older TVR with a 5.0 swap. But what would be really cool would be an MGB GT with a Rover engine. Or an old Jeep.

Wait, what were we talking about?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
11/2/10 9:37 a.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Appleseed wrote: King Air is a T tail. Easy spot.
Newer versions - Yes, the B200 series Older versions - NO, the original 90 and 100 series The design was modified over the years....

F-90 has a T-tail as well. The Queen Air in the photo has the engine cowlings for the Lycoming IGSO-540, it also has the swept vertical stabilizer. It is probably a Queen Air 70 or 80.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/2/10 10:19 a.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: I like everything. Perhaps something is wrong with me. I gravitate towards Porsches and BMWs. But I really love Japanese sports cars too. I've always kind of wanted something American with a V8. I'd love to have a Ferrari one day, maybe a Lotus too. I've always wanted a TVR 280 and an older TVR with a 5.0 swap. But what would be really cool would be an MGB GT with a Rover engine. Or an old Jeep. Wait, what were we talking about?

The usual guy talk. Tail, mostly.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/2/10 11:22 a.m.

Ahem. Guy talk?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/2/10 1:05 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Ahem. Guy talk?

Yeah, well. I had to highlight my "tail" pun. I certainly didn't mean to offend any non-guys.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/2/10 1:11 p.m.

We look at tails too

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/2/10 1:12 p.m.
Lesley wrote: We look at tails too

You mean Canadians?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/2/10 1:21 p.m.

I always try to resist chiming in with Lesley to work you guys over, because if we got together, I think you'd be outnumbered.

Besides, she does a fine job on her own.

Margie

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5fNX2sgj6iKv99xPUK7XOuvCfplWzMKgiFK5Wkrx0bMf1ynH1ie8YKPtfbPbTfSg