1 2 3
J308
J308 Reader
4/25/12 12:32 p.m.

I'm sitting in an Aeron right now, it truly is nice.

I think they are over $1k though, last time I looked.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/25/12 12:59 p.m.

^^^ $1,000-ish new but here are some ebays for less than $500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Miller-Aeron-Chair-Size-B-/261007828860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc547677c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Miller-Aeron-Chair-Loaded-In-Graphite-Lead-Large-/300700142729?pt=US_Chairs&hash=item4603200c89
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Miller-Aeron-Size-C-Chair-Fully-Loaded-with-Lumbar-/251045022334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73730a7e

Here are more in GA.
http://macon.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=aeron&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/25/12 1:35 p.m.

Make one. I made a very comfortable chair our of a Mercedes seat and a post and wheels from a broken office chair. Unfortunately my shiny happy person boss made me take it back home because it was not a commercially made chair and could be dangerous. Now I am stuck with one of those piece of E36 M3 $25 green fabric chairs that kills my back.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/25/12 1:39 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Make one. I made a very comfortable chair our of a Mercedes seat and a post and wheels from a broken office chair. Unfortunately my shiny happy person boss made me take it back home because it was not a commercially made chair and could be dangerous. Now I am stuck with one of those piece of E36 M3 $25 green fabric chairs that kills my back.

Put a big sign on the back that says "DANGER" and call it the Danger Chair. I triple dog dare ya.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/25/12 4:09 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Make one. I made a very comfortable chair our of a Mercedes seat and a post and wheels from a broken office chair.

This.

I took an old Recaro and an old office chair and fab'd a frame to mate them.

Do it with a ButlerBuilt full containment seat......

Josh
Josh Dork
4/25/12 5:08 p.m.

I like my Steelcase Think. This is the other, other chair that you see in every TV/magazine ad office scene (after the Aeron and the Eames Aluminum). I paid $225 for mine at a surplus dealer that moves a lot of Steelcase demo/overstock. I think list is about $750 for one spec'd like mine.

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/25/12 5:34 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: I use a kneeler. Margie

I will not go there, but this one is almost too easy.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/25/12 8:08 p.m.
T.J. wrote:

patio

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/25/12 8:43 p.m.
J308 wrote: I'm sitting in an Aeron right now, it truly is nice. I think they are over $1k though, last time I looked.

Same here, I've been fortunate enough to work in offices that have Aeron chairs for the past 10 years. They're brilliant chairs and once we have a house with a slightly bigger office space for me I'll get a used one for home, too.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/25/12 9:16 p.m.
T.J. wrote:

Omg, that is hilarious because I'm a CHICK and I mentioned doing something on my KNEES! Hee, hee!!

Margie

EastCoastMojo
4/25/12 9:22 p.m.

I find sitting on those big exercise balls helps my back.

Whoo hoo I sais BALLS!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/25/12 9:23 p.m.

Like.

EastCoastMojo
4/25/12 9:40 p.m.

I would love to sit in an Aeron chair, but I have had several cars that cost me less than one of those chairs, so my cheap ass will have to pass.

I have used the kneeling style chair also, but my knees did not take to it as well as I had hoped.

Jimhofstetter
Jimhofstetter
10/7/13 1:35 a.m.

Just check out this http://www.office-bargains.com/Office-Chairs-Best-Sellers they are in your budget and very much comfortable.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/7/13 3:56 a.m.
bgkast wrote: Make one. I made a very comfortable chair our of a Mercedes seat and a post and wheels from a broken office chair. Unfortunately my shiny happy person boss made me take it back home because it was not a commercially made chair and could be dangerous. Now I am stuck with one of those piece of E36 M3 $25 green fabric chairs that kills my back.

Speaking of this, anybody have any ideas for where to get just the base assembly to make an office chair, other than using one from a broken/crappy chair? I have an old ejection seat from a fighter plane that I've always wanted to make an office chair out of.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/13 5:40 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Omg, that is hilarious because I'm a CHICK and I mentioned doing something on my KNEES! Hee, hee!! Margie

Got a funny story about my wife's old boss bragging about how good her 50 year old knees were and I egged her on like " ohh yeah down on them a lot". And because she was a good southern girl she didn't know what I was talking about. The room of people let this go on for about 30 minutes of uproariously funny stuff until another girl pulled her aside and goes. " he's talking about blow jobs. "

If she had a patio I'd be in it.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/7/13 8:12 a.m.

Sneaky canoe there. Has a normal name and a picture, so we just assume it's a real person, but nope, just one post, reviving a year and a half old thread, to pimp a website that sells the thing the thread was about.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
10/7/13 8:34 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: With your $500 budget, you should be able to get a used Herman Miller Aeron Chair. Search around ebay. I have no personal experience with the Aeron but it is considered top notch by many. In addition, it is serviceable with replacement parts.

This. I have one. Worth every penny.

I actually got a broken one without a back for a welding chair in the shop too.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/16/20 8:16 p.m.

I've had great luck searching at used office furniture stores, most larger towns will have one or two to choose from.  I budgeted $150-$200 bucks and sat on every chair until I found one I liked.  Most of them are barely used and merely no good to the office that updated or went out of business.  I found far more comfortable seats than anything I could get from a office or big box store - just took some time to figure out where to look.

https://www.labersfurniture.com/

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/16/20 8:27 p.m.

https://www.upliftdesk.com/pursuit-ergonomic-chair-by-uplift-desk/

I have this one. Sitting in it right now. No complaints. Bought it in March of 2016 and it has held up well.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/16/20 8:35 p.m.

My biggest thing has alway been finding one that has a back tall enough. For some reason most of the ones I sit in end like right at the middle of my shoulder blades and it's annoying as E36 M3. I'm probably going to jerry rig one of the spare truck seats I have out in the shed to a frame and use that.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/16/20 11:12 p.m.

Not sure what resurrected this thread from the dead, but I have this one. Supports up to 350 pounds, 10 year warranty. 

I sat in one "in club" in Sam's club early last year, and then had to sit in it again each return trip. I've fallen asleep in it many times; the back is a great height to support my neck :)

It's a massive upgrade over what I had before, and once I started playing with stocks this year (thanks RobinHood thread...) I ended up buying La-Z-Boy stock during the downturn figuring people would want work from home chairs or spend stimulus bucks on comfort. So it's done well for me a couple of ways!

When I got it, it was $220 or $230 - now $199. 

https://www.samsclub.com/p/lazboy-ez-chair-350-lbs/prod22252706?&source=ifpla&itemNumber=980100235&CAWELAID=730010300002014758&pid=ps_Google_PLA_1934496870&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=350522976856&wl4=pla-456481137523&wl5=9006709&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=72146691513&wl17=&veh=sem&kclid=188689d7-98cb-4248-876e-ac5bf6898394&wl21=980100235&wl22=&wl23=456481137523&gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhQy-muVaMXXrSojOl12c8QMHgIbY284jzcBMEUkWkDh4FNamVcleWhoClCoQAvD_BwE

Staples carries a line if big and tall chairs. I've been using one of them for 3-4 years now. It is super comfortable and has been very durable. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/20 7:59 a.m.

Used office furniture is the way to go. Herman Miller makes really good stuff but make sure it is for office/desk use. There conference room stuff looks really nice and is made to impress but I have found that most of it is not that comfortable for long term sitting in. 

I picked up a Herman Miller chair or three for my office used. I paid about 500 each. The list for close to $1,500 new. They are grey and have a mesh back and seat. Not lounge chair comfortable but after a 8 hour day you get up and feel fine. 

They look like this. I think they were called the Areon or something like that. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/17/20 8:44 a.m.

I'd like to have an RS style bucket seat made into an office chair.  I've seen them done but not cheap

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ba0fxwNsmhrCvYAuPGisohnVqolW6gPV7nPrOAMuw3boEimndsAn8gZ8uRnm9Gtv