1 2
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
6/13/19 6:55 p.m.

Bosch does not have a heater, it uses the heat of the cycle to help drip dry the dishes. If you open it before they’re dry, they take forever to not be wet. 

No Time
No Time Dork
6/13/19 9:11 p.m.

Thanks for all the info and experience. 

Im going to do more research based on the suggestions and go back to take a second look at them based on what I’ve learned. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/13/19 10:12 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Bosch does not have a heater, it uses the heat of the cycle to help drip dry the dishes. If you open it before they’re dry, they take forever to not be wet. 

Well, it has a heater to heat the water but not an exposed heating element for drying the dishes. It uses condensation to dry the dishes, which is effective but slow for the metal, glass, and stoneware, but not very effective for the plastic stuff. But, it leads to incredible efficiency. (Estimated $25/year operating costs including the household water heater costs.)

Oh, other side effect is you can put plastic on the bottom rack even if it's labelled for top rack only because there's no exposed heating element to damage it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/13/19 10:22 p.m.

My Maytag from 1990 is still going nicely, other than a spot or two of rust on one rack.

This is not useful information for a modern day shopper.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/13/19 11:07 p.m.

I bought a Whirlpool about four years ago, because Whirlpool also sells a matching Range and Fridge, and the OCD likes that.

It replaced a very old GE Pirhana that was here when we bought the house.

The Whirlpool was SUPER quiet by comparison, but cleaned no better, if slightly worse. Then after the warranty was over, it was cleaning worse and worse, then didn't clean at all. I replaced the pump, and it was dandy again. Then leaked and ruined the floor.  Yay.

It's working fine now, although I keep my eye on it because I don't trust it.

At the time, Bosch wasn't receiving rave reviews like it is here.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/13/19 11:30 p.m.

I can't comment on longevity since I've only owned it for a week, but the Kitchenaid we just bought (paid $800) is the quietest dishwasher I've ever seen. We just remodeled our house and pretty much made the kitchen and living room a single space. We wanted to be able to watch TV while the dishes get cleaned, and this one is crazy quiet. You have to put your hand on it to see if it is running. Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/19 11:53 a.m.

You know, we need  a sticky thread for dishwashers.  We talk about this E36 M3 like once a month.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/15/19 1:19 p.m.

Woot delivery day for me

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/19 6:49 a.m.

We just bought a Samsung and I Berkeleying hate it, for several reasons.

The current trend seems to be Three Drawer dishwashers. The lower two look normal, but there is a third, shallow tray up top, presumably to lay out silverware. This seemed like a good idea in the store, but I find that it's easier (and safer with regard to knives) to grab and put away the clean silverware from an old school removable basket.

Because of that third drawer, the bottom drawer is lower in the unit. I have to bend over farther to load and unload the dishes. It's just low enough to send my back into spasm, almost every time.

Because of that lower drawer, the whole door is taller. When it's open, it extends further out into the room. I used to stand at the end of the door (facing the machine directly) to unload the dishes and put them into the cabinets without moving my feet. With the long door, I am now too far away to reach the cabinets (L-shaped kitchen layout). Now I need to stand next to the door, unload the dishes and pivot 180 degrees to put them away.

Finally, the controls are on a flat panel that sits flush with the edge of the counter. EVERY time that I brush against the edge of the counter, the machine will turn on or off. Sometimes when I'm making a sandwich, it will happen three times. I want to kill this machine.

We bought it at Best Buy and they have a 30 day return for any reason policy. After day one, I wanted to send this thing back, but my wife insists that she loves it. I used to be the one who loads and unloads the dishwasher, but now I refuse. I'm done. I just leave the dishes in the sink now.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/3/19 12:40 p.m.

Loving the super quiet Bosch 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/3/19 12:51 p.m.

Most of the really quiet dishwashers accomplish it by reducing wash pressure.

A lot of quiet can also be accomplished with an extra $10-$20 of insulation from your local builder's supply store.

There's really only about 4 companies left out there. Kitchen-Aid, Whirlpool, White-Westinghouse, etc. are all different price points of the same company. I think they own Maytag now too and they used to make Kenmore. Then there's Bosch, LG and Samsung. Not too many others.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GYmq7NMw5YHChkrfsoCdEjDu52WgVenZSO0ecj5QRlq23DMDFstb3cTw5u3nmE7v