skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
6/22/14 5:03 p.m.

So here's my current fleet '01 M5, '05 TL, '97 Silverado extended cab 2wd, '99 RX300. The wife drives the RX. I purchased the M5 about 10 months ago after about a three year search. It's about as perfect as you can expect a decade plus old german nightmare to be. I absolutely love that car and I've wanted one since '99. I used to have a hour plus commute each way, and the M5 made a lot of sense. I don't really care about gas mileage and it's a killer car to just destroy highway miles. It was also meant as a dual purpose car I could do some HPDE type stuff with. It also works with two car seats.

Ok, this is getting a little long.

Anyway, I have two boys, 1 and 4 years old. I haven't been to a track day since I sold my GTI to buy the TL. I can't see having the time or the extra money to do a thousand dollar daddy only activity any time soon. Also, my commute is now 1.8 miles each way. I literally work right down the street from my house. I don't like driving the M5 to work now since it never really gets warmed up. So I drive the TL or the truck every day.

I've been thinking that a Wrangler unlimited could be fun for the whole family. From what I've seen the aftermarket is unreal and casual off road events should be kid friendly. We're also kicking around the idea of buying an RV so something that can be flat towed would be great as well. The only real wrench in the mix here is that we have a boat. It weighs about 3500lbs ready to go out. The RX will tow it in a pinch, but I see tons of people pulling rather large boats with wranglers at the lake. My research indicates they probably shouldn't be doing that.

What say you GRM? Sell the cars and the truck and get a wrangler?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/22/14 5:43 p.m.

Wrangler Unlimiteds can tow 3500 pounds, so I wouldn't worry there.

Off-road events are, by-and-large, exceedingly kid friendly. It sounds like a perfect idea, and JKUs are great for that sort of thing.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/22/14 5:46 p.m.

Yeah, the wrangler would be great. I've had lots of Jeeps and sold my last one because my oldest was a newborn and it was just too rough to take him around in. Now that my youngest is old enough to ride in a Jeep, I want another one. Bad.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
6/22/14 8:06 p.m.

In many other markets the tow rating is higher for the same spec Wrangler. 5000 lbs iirc. While I wouldn't suggest regular towing at this higher rating due to the sue happy nature of this country.....the capability seems to be there.

I am in the market myself, I need something that can haul a good bit but really don't want a pickup. And I miss my old wrangler.

T

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/14 1:39 a.m.

The JKU can tow 3500lbs with the max tow package. It includes higher rate springs, 3.73 gears and a tow reciever. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely go with a 4 door over the 2 door. Its not the most refined vehicle but you won't care the first time you take the doors on top off.

I'd stick to the 2012 and up since that gets you the updated interior, Pentastar 3.6L and the modern 5 speed auto. I went with the 6 speed manual but the auto is actually the better transmission IMHO. It gets the same gas mileage and nearly the exact performance as the manual.

Your boys will love it! And its pretty practical so SWMBO will like it too haha

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/23/14 6:01 a.m.

Wait, are you suggesting selling both the M5 and the Acura and the truck and replacing them all with the Jeep? That is a big change. If it were me, I'd hold on to the M5 since it seems like that is the car you have the most attachment to. Keep it and drive it for pleasure when you can. Trade the Acura and truck for the Jeep.

BTW, just wondering if you've thought of commuting via bicycle? At less than 2 miles it seems like it should be doable, at least some of the year (granted I don't know where you live).

I miss my '99 TJ. The wife recently asked about us getting a new Unlimited, so I guess she misses it too.

octavious
octavious Reader
6/23/14 7:30 a.m.

The four door JKs are the Unlimteds (JKU) and they are awesome family vehicles. If I'm not mistaken the JKU is rated at 5k lbs towing. The 2 door JK is at 3500lbs. Early JKUs with the tow package also had 4.10 gears from the factory.

I had a 07, 6spd, JKU, 4.10 gears, Sahara package and loved it. The 07 was the first year, and many complain that 07-11 are kind of underpowered. Especially if you put bigger tires on one, or if you get the auto. My wife currently won't let me go drive a 2012 plus because she knows it got a 65-70HP bump and better gas mileage than the 07. The JK and JKU will also have all the features you are probably used to in your current vehicles, PW, PDL, keyless, etc. They can be had with leather interiors, nav system, and fancy stereos too if that is your thing.

I'm currently rocking a TJ which I also love. I have kids about the same age as yours and my only complaint on the TJ is putting the smaller child's car seat in the back. My older child can crawl in and get in their seat no problem, but having to put the baby seat in the back is a pain. It is doable but a pain.

Make sure you get in with the right offroad group and it will make for some great family memories. I've been in groups that are very family oriented and others that are more whose got the bigger balls oriented. I can say that the family oriented groups are the way to go. You will learn a lot and lots of smiles will be had all around.

JKU also has more cargo space in the back for camping adventures with the fam.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/23/14 9:47 a.m.

We have a 2012 Arctic edition 2 door and my wife loves it. It's basically her DD, but I play with it offroad some. I use my lifted built up 99 Cherokee for most of my offroad fun, but I have to admit the stock JK is actually better. Guess I need to add lockers to the XJ. I have to admit I was shocked at how nice the new Wranglers are to live with everyday, my last Wrangler prior to this one was an 87 and wow have they come a long way. Oh yeah and your kids will love it. We don't have kids, but we are the "cool" family members to our nieces and nephews because of the stuff we drive.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
6/23/14 9:59 a.m.

I bought a 2000 TJ for family wheeling fun (the ex kept it in the divorce ). I'd recommend getting the Rubicon package in whatever you choose. When you get the bigger wheels that all Jeeps want the lower gears are very helpful.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
6/23/14 1:22 p.m.

Thanks for the replies!

The TL is definitely getting sold. It's not any fun, the wife doesn't want it, and I'd rather not have $10k tied up in a depreciating asset I don't really like or need anymore. The M5 will probably go as well, I never really drive it and there's no reason to have that much money sitting around doing nothing in the garage. The silverado gets a pass here. It only owes me about $2k, I've had it for several years now and it never breaks. I'll keep it around for towing heavy things and doing truck stuff.

I'd like to stay under $20k so I'm at the bottom of the unlimited market. Right now it'll either be a older 3.8 6spd rubicon or probably a 3.6 sport. I'd probably rather have a base with the better engine than an older one with all the toys for the same money. I can always add stuff as I go, it won't stay stock for long anyway.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/23/14 1:54 p.m.

In reply to skruffy:

I would also pick the 3.6 base over a 3.8 loaded up.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/23/14 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

That is exactly what I did too. I have a '12 base Sport. I couldn't justify the extra $15k or so. I just wanted the 3.6l and a 6 speed. I wish I would of got the 3.73s though. The 3.21s are barely adequate for the 29s

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50nYQ2jKBiashhmIWb0PHVNrp2XkJaDoZVn4YmuNdBIvsYenqz8kSMjdKUg16qEE