1 2 3
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/14 10:09 a.m.

I drive a lot to quote jobs, and often at the drop of a hat I will road trip to look at a job 4 or 5 hours away. Yesterday I left at 2 to view a job in Burkin, which is 4 hours of awesome winding mountain roads away from me. I usually do these trips in my 6.7 Dodge 1 ton. Its a pretty decent way to travel, and I settle into my leather seat and turn up the stereo and enjoy myself. But....I can't help thinking that those trips would be better suited to one of these.

So I need you guys to tell me how bad it would be to weekly drive a 928, and if you absolutely can't do that, then tell me which one to buy. If I wasn't married I would go straight out and pick up a GTS but they are big dollars and I am not sure there would be any point to racking up thousands of miles on one. Not really a car you want to run into the ground. An S would be just as quick, but a bargain basement early base 928 might still be a prety nice ride and they can be had for pocket change these days.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/17/14 10:13 a.m.

PARTS EXPENSE

(know someone who has an early one, those things use some seriously expensive parts)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/17/14 10:21 a.m.

If you are going to buy a Porsche... pick a normal one. Not the bastard love child of some dated 80s GT beauty queen and an exclusive parts mogul. This is the Porsche that shows up in your mind when someone says "I bought a vintage Porsche". Don't fight it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/14 10:24 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: PARTS EXPENSE (know someone who has an early one, those things use some seriously expensive parts)

That's true for pretty much all Porsches. The big issue with 928s is that a lot of them have been neglected and will consume huge amounts of money until they're reliable again.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
10/17/14 10:28 a.m.

I like GPS's response and I suggest a cyber trip over here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/

Read, join,introduce yourself and ask questions; there are some good people on the boards.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/17/14 10:30 a.m.

The buy-in is just like some creepy guy in a van handing out candy. It's cheap to get into, but expensive to get out. I love front engine, water cooled Porsches, but they're a lot like dating a crazy woman. You never know when the dominatrix side is going to show up.

Don't be a creepy guy in a van, don't do it!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/17/14 10:31 a.m.

You MUST BUY A 928! I've always thought 928's are awesome, even before I saw "Risky Business" back in what was it, 1984? "Porsche. There is no substitute."

Buy, buy, buy, buy, buy!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 10:32 a.m.

I can't help you. They are beautiful cars with V8 up front the way God intended.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/17/14 10:35 a.m.

I love that car. I love the fact that I was born smart enough to never buy one even more.

I highly suggest that you buy one now, it will change your outlook on life.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/14 10:54 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1lsp-0i7gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P29nHru4fvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jPaYnaKVDk

If you truly love working on German cars, have a large budget and plan on replacing all of the rubber on the car, repairing all of the wiring and upgrade and improve quite a bit, then go for it.

Personally, after owning a relatively well cared for 944 Turbo, a complete basket case 924 and acquiring a 200K mile BMW 740iL, I'm done with German cars. I'll be buying a Miata and actually enjoying driving my car, instead of working on them.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
10/17/14 10:54 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: The buy-in is just like some creepy guy in a van handing out candy. It's cheap to get into, but expensive to get out. I love front engine, water cooled Porsches, but they're a lot like dating a crazy woman. You never know when the dominatrix side is going to show up. Don't be a creepy guy in a van, don't do it!

Wait, I can't tell. Are you saying he should buy the crazy dominatrix 928? Because that's what I'm hearing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/17/14 11:08 a.m.

Open the hood and imagine trying to do ANYTHING through that tiny little opening.

Then phone the porky store and check the price on a timing belt change.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/17/14 11:10 a.m.

The wiring is a nightmare. Many of them are neglected. Parts prices are high like all Porsches.

They're also better GT cars than the 911. A V8 conversion eliminates much of the problems above, and actually lightens the nose of the car.

It will cost you more money than you initially expected, wrench time, and aggravation. The trigger is whether you still want it after you factor that in

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/17/14 11:24 a.m.

The 928 was one of my dream cars when I was a kid.

Let me ask you a question. When you sit on your wallet, does it cause you low back pain? If not, then it's not thick enough to support a 928.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 11:24 a.m.

Call Sloan cars. He has a 78 five speed with Pascha interior that he wants to be rid of. Not sure what he wants for it. His cars are very high end, but I got the sense that this car is a thorn in his side.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/14 11:29 a.m.

My dad daily drove one for 25 years. I believe a persistent fuel tank issues finally became too much work and it was parted.

bearmtnmartin
10/17/14 11:42 a.m.

You guys are mostly not helping me to just say no. But then what did I really expect...

This may well be heresy, but 911's don't do much for me. I have always wanted a 928 and anyway they are a much better tourer. If I wanted to get my spine compressed I would just buy another doolie.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
10/17/14 11:42 a.m.

What kind of job quotes are you doing? Are they the kind that the customer will be put off if you roll up in a Porsche? Even if it's a 30 year old car and your 3500 Ram cost 10x that people still equate Porsche as big $$$. Some may equate that to "this guy is going to be too expensive."

bearmtnmartin
10/17/14 11:46 a.m.

If you finish convincing me I will need some pretty good arguments to sway the wife next. The easy thing would be to buy her the cute little Fiat she wants first, but that's an expensive way to get what I want, and anyway the yard is getting really full already: 3 race cars, 2 work trucks, one work car, two trailers, one vintage pickup, a minivan, my pickup, and now I am talking about adding a Fiat and a Porsche?

bearmtnmartin
10/17/14 11:47 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: What kind of job quotes are you doing? Are they the kind that the customer will be put off if you roll up in a Porsche? Even if it's a 30 year old car and your 3500 Ram cost 10x that people still equate Porsche as big $$$. Some may equate that to "this guy is going to be too expensive."

Somehow my want was blocking out the practicality arguments. Thanks for adding a touch of reality.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 12:26 p.m.

The Fiat won't take up much space.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/17/14 12:32 p.m.

I have an uncle who got a barn find 928 for $500. Dumped 7 grand in it to make it drivable and then discovered that as noted above, people were scared off by the expensive car when he went to do estimates for his business.

He sold it and bought one of those corvette cadilac things.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/17/14 12:48 p.m.

If you want to scratch the P-car itch and use it for driving to jobs, maybe a Cayenne? I wouldn't be surprised if most people wouldn't "see" it as a Porsche, but simply as an SUV. A 6MT was available in the base V6 and V8 GTS versions.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
10/17/14 12:50 p.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote:

Not a huge fan of 944 or 928 variants in general, but damn! That is a sexy beast.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
10/17/14 2:32 p.m.

This is what comes to my mind when I hear Porsche 928.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F2VpxlPlNN9k2ZkM2CgASfapp5Cjaf9HRuuwBLbj8oByNApUE1GFlix90OhagH71