1 2 3
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/29/09 8:25 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: You might try calling a concrete company and see what they want/minimum quantity. Here, in Y2K when I built my shop, it was $55/yard and a minimum order of 3 yards, free delivery. It wasn't worth it to get a mixer and bags and do it yourself.
But don't forget, you need to take it all. If you only need 2.5, plan on digging a hole for the rest.

Around here there are a few mix on site outfits running around. They mix and pump with the same rig anywhere you need. They have a price per yard published on the side of the truck and you only pay for what you use. Seems like a good idea, I don't know how the pricing stacks up though.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/29/09 11:21 p.m.
Woody wrote: But don't forget, you need to take it all. If you only need 2.5, plan on digging a hole for the rest.

That's not right.

I've been buying concrete for 30 years in 11 different states and I have NEVER had to take all the concrete on the truck.

I had to PAY for it all, but not take it.

They typically take it back to the plant, and regrind it for aggregate.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/29/09 11:27 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Woody wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: You might try calling a concrete company and see what they want/minimum quantity. Here, in Y2K when I built my shop, it was $55/yard and a minimum order of 3 yards, free delivery. It wasn't worth it to get a mixer and bags and do it yourself.
But don't forget, you need to take it all. If you only need 2.5, plan on digging a hole for the rest.
Around here there are a few mix on site outfits running around. They mix and pump with the same rig anywhere you need. They have a price per yard published on the side of the truck and you only pay for what you use. Seems like a good idea, I don't know how the pricing stacks up though.

$55 is really low now. Expect double that, plus trucking for a small load.

Those mix-on-site trucks are interesting. I bought from one of those companies once. When the truck arrived, the driver felt like he couldn't do the job because his truck was too heavy for the dirt hill driveway. He wouldn't do it, and suggested I call a ready mix truck.

They are carrying the FULL legal DOT weight limit, regardless of how much you need.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
3/30/09 9:06 a.m.
RussellH wrote: How'd we get on the topic of pouring concrete?

I think he's replying to me... sorry for the hi-jack... But congrats on getting the lift installed and operational. Fun, ain't it?

I'll look into getting concrete delivered... I have to dig up my preliminary plans and see how many yards I think I'll need.

What I really need right now is to talk to a structural engineer to find out if my plan is reasonably good or way off one way or the other....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/09 9:28 a.m.

The problem with cutting concrete with a standard circular saw is that the dust and heat chew wup the blade and saw. I have a masonry circular saw for cutting tile. It is a 4.5" blade, but you can get blades for tile, concrete or stone. The blade has a water line hookup that keeps the blade cool and carries away the cuttings without dust. I used it for cutting a basement floor to run a drain line and it worked like a charm. Best of all, I got it at Lowe's on clearance for $39.

I have a 1/4" drill with a hammer setting. (as opposed to a dedicated hammer drill) It is great for light-duty concrete drilling if used with the right bits. I have cinderblock and brick walls in the basement/garage, so hanging anything requires a decent drill. Craftsman, Makita, and Dewalt all make small hammer drill models. If you need holes larger than say 1/2" diameter, then you should step up to a rental.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
3/30/09 11:11 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Woody wrote: But don't forget, you need to take it all. If you only need 2.5, plan on digging a hole for the rest.
That's not right. I've been buying concrete for 30 years in 11 different states and I have NEVER had to take all the concrete on the truck. I had to PAY for it all, but not take it. They typically take it back to the plant, and regrind it for aggregate. Plus one for Georgia. I just built a house and had my fingers in every stage of construction. Poured 11' basement walls, plus a 2.5 car garage. Any leftover concrete went back to the plant. I paid for it but the only thing left that wasnt poured was what was rinsed off the trucks and pumper and that is in the gravel driveway.
joedapro
joedapro New Reader
4/1/09 8:04 p.m.

OK my concrete is cured. how did lift installation go? good i hope.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G0DfMkxjADMHH6MgnAXC5qip49LPelyZrwpK8aqNbOqbec2TtfDXuRCwrfxpIhBh