1 2 3 4
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/17/17 9:58 a.m.

Unless you're in a tough spot financially and absolutely need to book end the working days, consider giving yourself a week in between jobs since the start date is a ways off.

It's an incredibly relieving "vacation" knowing you are walking into a new environment, and you're done with the stress inducer.

Plus you don't have to ask for vacation time right off the bat. Clear the head, dust off what you've put off, or just get out of town. Congrats!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
2/18/17 1:57 p.m.

Can't wait to hear what they say when you give them notice :)

Also, on a separate note, would love to talk to you about some odds and ends im looking for for my e36.

Can you email me at username at yahoo??? Thanks!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/19/17 4:23 p.m.

Unsolicited advice: if you are unhappy in a job and get a new one, if when you give notice your employer asks what it will take to keep you and offers more money, NEVER TAKE THE MONEY.

They should have been paying you what you were worth all along, or working to fix the stuff you just can't take any longer before you got fed up. If you take the money nothing will change except you are a better-compensated sort of miserable and now they think they own your azz and can work you even harder because hey, you're getting paid to put up with their E36 M3 now, right?

Stay strong. You have a dream job now. Enjoy your new future. Of course, none of this applies when you are pretty happy but considered leaving to make more money.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
3/15/17 11:24 a.m.

I gave my notice yesterday. I am now happily on borrowed time, and I have zero regrets at all. I start my new gig 4/3.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been super busy with the new job and preparing, but I do think about this thread and appreciate all of your well-wishes.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/17 11:35 a.m.

You forgot to tell us what the new gig is

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/15/20 8:44 p.m.

This is a very long overdue update to this thread.  I was browsing my subscribed threads tonight while rocking my 4 month old to sleep and came crashing upon this one.  Not sure if anyone cares, but I do want to thank you guys for the completely spot on advice given to me, and I want everyone to know that I appreciate it very much to this day.  

Almost 3 years later, a lot has happened, most notably-

- My old company made me work my notice out (fine), never gave me my last commission check on some made up ground (not fine, but whatever), replaced me with one of the owners sons, and ultimately shut that arm of the business down last July.  They still have yet to talk to me since, and we are family.  I harbor no hard feelings (well, maybe a little).

- I still work for the same company, as the brewmaster of a then-startup and now quite successful brewery, and I absolutely love every minute of it. it was the hardest I've ever worked at anything- just a relentless pursuit to try and avoid failure, and it's paid off finally.  I took my first of hopefully many international medals for my beer this past year at the Great American Beer Fest.

- The ownership group here is honestly awesome, and I enjoy coming to work every day.  In a way, I'm happy that I had to experience the others side of that coin, because I don't think I'd have truly appreciated what I have  now. 

- my drastic cut in pay for switching careers has  turned into me making more than I ever did at my previous job in less than 3 years, and I am officially a part owner in the brewery now (it's a really small part, but still).

- Most importantly and what I am most proud of, is that I have two amazing awesome 'couldn't do it without them' employees under me that earn a good wage and are making careers out of what was always thought of as a hobby.  And I'm happy to report that neither of them have college degrees, not did I ever ask or care.  

- My marriage is better, I'm off anxiety meds, and am really genuinely happy about my standing in society.  It's amazing what a soul-suck it is when you go to a job that you hate, with bosses that don't care about you, and you feel one it's your only option.  

I guess to close-  I have no regrets.  follow your gut and be honest with yourself and others, and if you feel like you're in a dead end job, don't be afraid to pull the ripcord.  Bet on yourself, work hard, and freaking get after it.  You won't regret it, I promise.  

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 9:31 p.m.

Glad to hear you're in a better place man.

Congrats.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/15/20 10:27 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Glad to hear you're in a better place man.

Congrats.

My sentiments as well. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/20 6:15 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/16/20 6:23 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Sales is a tough enough job if that's what you want to do. I can't imagine the agony and grief if it's not your chosen goal. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/17/20 11:03 a.m.

[mod edit: spam post referenced has been deleted]
^^^^^ SPAM!!!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/20 11:08 a.m.

Dude, congratulations.  I read your first post before noticing it was from 2017 and I'm stoked things are working out.

Any chance you could give us the name of that award winning beer of yours so we can crack one open in celebration?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/17/20 1:16 p.m.
Hungary Bill said:

Dude, congratulations.  I read your first post before noticing it was from 2017 and I'm stoked things are working out.

Any chance you could give us the name of that award winning beer of yours so we can crack one open in celebration?

Haha, good on you if you can find it outside of our taproom in NH unfortunately, haha.  But it's called Lawnmower and is a German lager.  Working on some modest distribution, but we are small and maxed out capacity-wise as it sits, so we either need another location, a bigger boat, or both, haha. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/20 9:14 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

Great job!

I have family scattered across Vermont and NH. I go up to visit most years. If you're willing to share the name of the brewery, I might stop by this year. I'll probably send my sister and BIL in as a recon team, first, though, since they're the closest to Manchester.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/20 7:41 a.m.

What great news to read! Always cool to see one of the GRM family kicking ass!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zirlu9ajmJqwm9bvZrbGAvbrHSDSiiArkFg9AgjWwZbKIqoVypVNU3tTBJ0iDCJW