1 2 3 4
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/24/13 3:45 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
ZOO wrote: Kudos to GM -- I think this would be an ideal everyday car, if I was willing to spend that much.
That's why I leased it. Not spending that much, and keeps the total budget low. And now, with $4k back on 2013s, it's even lower priced to lease (you should be able to get a basic Volt for around $250/month, which, with the gas savings, makes it dirt cheap to drive).

Isn't there Fed money on top of that too? If I didn't drive 24k miles a year, I'd SERIOUSLY consider it.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/24/13 3:51 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
ZOO wrote: Kudos to GM -- I think this would be an ideal everyday car, if I was willing to spend that much.
That's why I leased it. Not spending that much, and keeps the total budget low. And now, with $4k back on 2013s, it's even lower priced to lease (you should be able to get a basic Volt for around $250/month, which, with the gas savings, makes it dirt cheap to drive).
Isn't there Fed money on top of that too? If I didn't drive 24k miles a year, I'd SERIOUSLY consider it.

That is probably including the Fed money. Even with the 24k a year, it might still be worth it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/24/13 4:07 p.m.
mtn wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
That is probably including the Fed money. Even with the 24k a year, it might still be worth it.

Will it go 80 miles on a charge? I think I did some drunk math last night and figured out it was close to a wash (assuming 12,000 miles/yr. and $.10/mile over, and the fact that I'd still have to use fuel.)

But yeah, if you're considering leasing something for $250/month, and only drive 12k-15k a year, I don't know why the hell you'd lease anything else.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/24/13 4:31 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Chris_V wrote:

Yeah, that'd be with fed and state money. And yeah, it's a 12k per year lease. Or you could buy it, get the fed and state credits, and 0% financing.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/24/13 4:48 p.m.

Yeah, I'm still thrilled. In fact, we were looking at adding a second one to replace the wife's Mazda5. She decided she likes having no car payment for the time being, though. We'll start looking REAL hard once the 2013s start getting stale on the local lots, though.

I totally envy your 2013 hold mode, too. I can't imagine there's any real hardware differences, so I'm surprised they haven't made that available for my '12 via a software flash. How is it actually activated? Special button?

Speaking of special buttons, one feature I'd LOVE would be a L range button on the wheel. Basically a way to provide some additional engine braking and regen without reaching over and working the gear lever. I bet if there was a wheel-mounted button that Volt brake pads would last an average of 200,000 miles.

Since we're deep into the Volt/TDI project, mine will be getting the KW coil-overs soon. I have to say my hopes are not high. It's already barely high enough to go on the lift without a little extra heave. And it will definitely need the shorter front air dam.

But, yeah, overall it's been a great experience. It's not what I'd call "exciting" in teh classical sense, but it does create a whole new type of involvement with your driving. GM has done an excellent job at involving the driver with the operation of the car,and showing how your driving is affecting what's happening.

jg

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/25/13 8:29 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Yeah, I'm still thrilled. In fact, we were looking at adding a second one to replace the wife's Mazda5. She decided she likes having no car payment for the time being, though. We'll start looking REAL hard once the 2013s start getting stale on the local lots, though.

they are stale and there's $4k on the hood from GM right now. That's a pretty healthy chunk of change.

JG Pasterjak wrote: I totally envy your 2013 hold mode, too. I can't imagine there's any real hardware differences, so I'm surprised they haven't made that available for my '12 via a software flash. How is it actually activated? Special button?

the mode button on the center column under the little leaf button, it's just another mode in the menu: Normal, Sport, Mountain, Hold. And yeah, a lot of '11 and '12 owners are asking for it. Woudl be failry easy to implement, I'd think.

JG Pasterjak wrote: Speaking of special buttons, one feature I'd LOVE would be a L range button on the wheel. Basically a way to provide some additional engine braking and regen without reaching over and working the gear lever. I bet if there was a wheel-mounted button that Volt brake pads would last an average of 200,000 miles.

I just leave it in Low and never use D, even on the highway. My brake pads will probably rarely get used during the life of the car. lol! I tend to use Sport and Low, and get the throttle response of Sport with the engine braking of Low, and it keeps it fun to drive and I can go 6 miles per kWh of battery energy while still driving like a hoon.

JG Pasterjak wrote: But, yeah, overall it's been a great experience. It's not what I'd call "exciting" in teh classical sense, but it does create a whole new type of involvement with your driving. GM has done an excellent job at involving the driver with the operation of the car,and showing how your driving is affecting what's happening. jg

I have a feeling that if GM could get butts in seats they'd sell so many more of them. The driving experience is quite good. And the luxury features make it worth the money, especailly at current lease rates. I was talking to a lady yesterday at the grocery store who was asking about my car. She drives an Explorer now and spends $100 a week on gas. Even though her truck is paid off (it's 12 years old) she could instantly save over $100 a month just by trading it in on a Volt...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ukQaPi5e5FkmVhXIUaYcVuFQEk5jbnpHYWmrQyqjiL1W7MqSQyvgyFXoJJkYjunJ